PDA

View Full Version : Randomizing Target Speeds

SeaQueen
03-25-06, 12:07 PM
One of the best ways to frustrate an opponent's TMA is to vary one's speed. AIs don't seem to do this naturally, though. Do any of you guys have any good tricks for randomizing a computer controlled submarine's speed? I have some thoughts on how to do it, but I wondered if anyone else out there had an easier way than what I'm thinking of.

LuftWolf
03-25-06, 02:02 PM
Can't you run a script to set the platform speed, which will then expire and refire depending on how often you want the speed/course to vary?

I've definately seen this in several missions I have downloaded, both successfully and unsuccessfully implimented... in unsuccessful cases, the platforms constantly speed up and slow down like they are all spastic. :huh:

Although this last problem may actually be from something else, but I assume it's from something the mission designer put in. :hmm:

Fish
03-25-06, 02:48 PM
Well, thats a easy one. :)
I did that for TMA training. Use the waypoints for speed/depth changes, works perfectly.

And yes, you can made multiply objects and place them in a dynamic group, no need for scrips.

MaHuJa
03-25-06, 03:23 PM
LW, from what I hear, this mode of operation is the norm for submarines - perhaps one could make a doctrine for this? Perhaps the "custom" bits in the database can provide some data on the sub for this sort of purpose, telling the doctrine what sort of sub it is, and the doctrine acting accordingly?

Just how to make it still run on schedule, and reach the waypoints, though... that may be a challenge...

SeaQueen
03-25-06, 03:46 PM
Can't you run a script to set the platform speed, which will then expire and refire depending on how often you want the speed/course to vary?

I've definately seen this in several missions I have downloaded, both successfully and unsuccessfully implimented... in unsuccessful cases, the platforms constantly speed up and slow down like they are all spastic. :huh:

Although this last problem may actually be from something else, but I assume it's from something the mission designer put in. :hmm:

Yeah... but then it'd have to be deterministic wouldn't it? I want a scenario where *I* don't know what's going to happen even though I wrote it. :-)

LuftWolf
03-25-06, 03:48 PM
Ok, then you can make multiple version of the same object with different combinations of scripts associated with each one... if you make 10 of those as dynamic objects with only one allowed to spawn then I think that would be sufficiently random. :)

But, I am quite a novice at making missions... I have made over 100, and not one of them has a goal trigger or briefing, and all their names start with "z". ;)

Miika
03-27-06, 03:03 AM
I know it takes a lot of work, but in my missions I usually use about 6-10 different subs with different random starting locations, routes and behaviour to represent 1 submarine (or some other platform). In that way I can't predict the behaviour in advance. The point, though, is to create the first one to be complete with all goals, scripts, waypoints, etc. attached to it. You can then copy/paste the rest and modify the differences, after which you attach them to a random group with 1 being created. Check my missions to see what I mean.

I also typically change the speed and depth using waypoints, and I think they work... I might be wrong, though, but I use LwAmimod, and the hostiles usually behave hostile enough without any extra scripts.

Miika

OKO
03-27-06, 08:29 PM
Yeah... but then it'd have to be deterministic wouldn't it? I want a scenario where *I* don't know what's going to happen even though I wrote it. :-)

take a look at this one =>

http://okof4.free.fr/missions/DW/MP4_Diesel_slick_v1.01.mu

position, speed and depth are randomized for the HAN and the XIA
I used scripts and not different platforms to avoid redondant work on triggers (there is 12 different possibilities here, easily done with scripts, near impossible with different platforms without using 12 times more platforms/triggers ... and a big headache).
Really saved lots of development time here.

Qppralke
04-26-06, 12:11 AM
For the Fishing boats , I ussually place Area waypoint , with speed changes . I use two points to make two different "fish hunt" areas with Ladder box, random box or perimeter box. And two other points to rise the speed between search areas. Of course you have to set the time for "perimeter", and all the rest of tactics.

You could mix it with above techniques.

Fish
04-26-06, 12:18 PM
For the Fishing boats , I ussually place Area waypoint , with speed changes . I use two points to make two different "fish hunt" areas with Ladder box, random box or perimeter box. And two other points to rise the speed between search areas. Of course you have to set the time for "perimeter", and all the rest of tactics.

You could mix it with above techniques.

Adding tactics to waypoints doesn't work, at least not before 103.

Bellman
04-27-06, 03:52 AM
I use Miikas method which is laborious but effective. But with tactic changes Fishs statement 'at least before 1.03' is a teaser.
What new 'tactic' choice features are present in 1.03 ? :o

The Stock manual does not appear to have been updated from the original release so what other 'new features,'
if any, have been quietly introduced ? :hmm:

Fish
04-27-06, 12:50 PM
I use Miikas method which is laborious but effective. But with tactic changes Fishs statement 'at least before 1.03' is a teaser.
What new 'tactic' choice features are present in 1.03 ? :o

The Stock manual does not appear to have been updated from the original release so what other 'new features,'
if any, have been quietly introduced ? :hmm:
No features as far as I know, but I didn't try if it was resolved in 103.