PDA

View Full Version : Whale on guitar ?

Bellman
03-03-06, 10:59 AM
Strange whale cries. :hmm:

I'm using Fineteless excellent sound mods which are great. However I have been at sea,
and under ice, a long time in SeaQueens Kara Sea scenario.

Long hours to listen to the whales singing but one had a metalic twang prior to its cry.
Almost like striking a chord on an electric guitar.

Anyone heard this ? Is it realistic or a bad recording ?

Quaint and mysterious ! :o

NB. On the wagon :yep:

Bellman
03-04-06, 06:17 AM
:D I knew this one would go down like a lead balloon :roll:

I am quite serious here - what I am thinking is that a Red sub is also under ice nearby and the twang sound
may be HFAS as he threads through ice bergs. So I'm getting a metallic noise followed by the whale cry.

Now its not far fetched to accept, knowing the USN are careful how they use active sonar due to its affect on bio.
I just wouldnt have expected to hear HFAS. :hmm:

Anyone any ideas ? Can you hear HFAS ?

Kapitan
03-04-06, 07:39 AM
As a veteran of under ice i am stumped :o

other than some burgs may return a metalic twang but other than that its possibly another submarine

Bellman
03-05-06, 06:47 AM
Well if its not HFAS then its either:
1. A very peculiar whale call, may occur in RL (?)
2. A problem with my audio (Unlikely as all other sounds are normal)
3. The modder has used a a 'distorted' file.
4. A whale synthesiser has been utilised - to what end ? Masking ?
( This is sheer paranoia :o :huh: :roll: :yep: )

Seen any Flying Saucers lately ? :oops: :arrgh!:

Kapitan
03-05-06, 07:46 AM
Forgot about this thread but;

I didnt have any problems at all with the whale sounds all sounded normal and healthy, perhapse your whale spent to much time hanging around them dumped nuclear reactors out there might have distorted his voice. :yep:

TLAM Strike
03-05-06, 09:21 AM
Why don’t you extract the SFX file for the whale and listen to it in WMP and see if the “twang” is heard there too?

Bellman
03-05-06, 10:32 AM
I have Finetlesss Ambient Mod plus his 'extras' from Bills. Looking in 'audio' but cant locate the relevant file.

Using Real but no sign yet :hmm:

The phantom twanger (no kidology) is present and along with a nice variety of whale choruses. Thing is......
this sucker sounds a bit phoney like a noisemaker synthesising whale cries for masking/noise wall/spoofing. :roll:

Maybe I'v been at sea too long :arrgh!: :damn:

PS. :lol: Nice thought Kap - maybe his tonsils have gone bright yellow, like Lennie ?

Bellman
03-06-06, 05:25 AM
When I've dispatched the Boomer, I will pusue the source of this mysterious sound. :yep:

UglyMowgli
03-06-06, 07:15 AM
Try to listen the sounds here, they were recorded by a french sonarman in RL (some of them are used in the DW sound mod)

baleine(s) = whale(s)

http://dangerouswaters.org/v-web/mambo/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=60&func=selectcat&cat=12

Bellman
03-06-06, 02:09 PM
I appreciate the offer - however the audio neither works in site nor when the file is downloaded, regretably.

Nothing wrong this end as DLd Real audio MP3 from the BBC recently.

I am not ungrateful, but wonder if others are experiencing some
difficulty, based on number of votes. :hmm:

Bellman
03-07-06, 10:51 AM
Postmortem - Replayed the Kara scenario with a new stock 1.03 install and the twang had gone.

Perhaps something got corrupted in the Finiteless + LwAmi install at my end throwing up the weird sounds.