PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions... Sorry in advance.

henrym
02-24-06, 02:26 PM
Hey all,

I'm a new to this game as I just got it last week and have a question or two.

I owned 688(i) Hunter/Killer and played it fairly casually going through the missions/campaign and creating one or two.

I just happened upon this forum which is a godsend since no one else seems to have any info on Sub Command anymore.

Then I saw the SCU and SCXII etc. program and topics on it and have tried to understand exactly what it is.

Anyway, on with the questions:

1. Is SCU, SCX, etc. just a mod program that allows you to play as a ton of different subs from around the world or is there more to it?

2. Are there enough people online to play in either co-op or vs. missions consistently and does everyone need the same amount of patching and/or mods? (I have the latest patch only)

3. Since I had to buy this game used, there is a chance the previous owner might have shared his CD-key with others and I was wondering if that would pose a problem.

Thanks

Bellman
02-24-06, 11:52 PM
:D Welcome to the wonderful wet world of SCX etc.

1. Much, much more - get the Readme at Bills SunGuru.
2. See forum - few online now casualy. Most have migrated to DW.
3. Mmmm - wiil treat that as a trick question. :o :huh: :stare:

Have fun. :up:

henrym
02-25-06, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I know #3 sounds like a loaded question :oops: but I had to get my copy of the game on ebay since I literally couldn't find the game anywhere else. But now that I look at how I worded the question it might seem like I'm trying to open the door for pirates. I'll just try it and hope it hasn't been pillaged.

Anyway I need to get these training missions done and get on with the game.
:rock:
Thanks

Bellman
02-25-06, 10:26 AM
:sunny: Enjoy. :up:

When you're done, try posting here for a MP game - you will probably get a bite. Quite a few of us still
have'nt fallen out of love with SCX2 and it its on our HDs.

Nothing is quite like sub v sub . :cool: :rock:

DeepSixNiner
02-25-06, 02:00 PM
Welcome, henrym!

Not everyone has switched to DW yet. I still play the occasional on-line match, and would be happy to link up in the future.

You'll find that most everyone here who plays on-line will have the SCXIIC update, as well as SCU. You do have to have the same DB to play, so I'd highly recommend you add it to the sim, once you've gotten the game play figured out.

Cheers.

MarkShot
02-25-06, 11:28 PM
I don't play MP and haven't purchased DW. For the sub versus sub play I want to do, SC/SCXIIC/SCU seems more than adequate. In some regards SC/SCXIIC/SCU makes for a better sub experience when compared to DW. Of course, DW has a playable diesel/electric with battery simulation. However, since I have three WWII subsims, I have no shortage of diesel/electric if I want it.

You can easily have two installs of stock SC 1.08 and SC/SCXIIC/SCU. Directions below:

HOW TO SET UP A DUAL INSTALL

THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE was contributed by Tinman 5842. Thanks Tin!!

-Install Sub Command (install and patches and mods that you want)

-Create a shortcut to your desktop. This should be renamed to indicate what version of the
game this shortcut will be starting.

-Go to "Start" then "Run" and type in "regedit" w/o the quotes.

-Open the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder, then open "Software" folder, then open the
"Electronic Arts" Folder. Two sub folders will appear in the "Electronic Arts" folder.
Highlight the "Sub Command" folder (a bunch data will appear in the right hand window).

-With the "Sub Command" Folder Highlighted, go to the "Registry" Tab in the top menu and
select "Export Registry File", give this a name of something like "1.05" or "SWP" or to
indicate what version of this game it is. Now save this .reg file to your hardrive.
(Do not put this file on your desktop or into a folder).

-Put your Sub Command CD into your CD-rom drive and right click on the drive and select
"Explore"

-Go to the "setup" folder and click on the "setup.exe." file to begin installing the
second version of the game. Select "reinstall" and then either install this new game onto
another Drive and/or rename the destination folder to something else. (Both games must
have a different path way for this to work).

-When you are finished installing the game, install whatever patches and mod that you want
this version of the game to be. Create a desktop shortcut for this game as well and rename
it to suit whatever this game will be.

-We need to go back to "Regedit" and repeat the following steps.

-Go to "Start" then "Run" and type in "regedit" w/o the quotes.

-Open the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" folder, then open "Software" folder, then open the
"Electronic Arts" Folder. Two sub folders will appear in the "Electronic Arts" folder.
Highlight the "Sub Command" folder (a bunch data will appear in the right hand window).

-With the "Sub Command" Folder Highlighted, go to the "Registry" Tab in the top menu and
select "Export Registry File", give this a name of something like "1.5" or "SWP" to
indicate what version of this game it is. Now save this .reg file to your hardrive.
(Do not put this file on your desktop or into a folder).

-Now you should have two versions of Sub Command installed with two differently named
.REG files and Two desktop shortcuts.

-To play one version of the game, you need to click on its appropriate ".reg file" and
answer "yes" to "Are you sure you want to add ..... to the registry"

-Now click on the appropriate SC start desktop icon to play that version of the game.

-To play the other version you would need to click on that versions ".reg file" and
then click on that versions SC start desktop icon.

NOTE: if you run Norton or a registry checker, you will be told that there is an invalid application
path. DO NOT ALLOW Norton or the registry checker to fix this!!

henrym
03-01-06, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. :up:

I got started in the single missions now and have started getting used to the new sub interfaces and all the ins and outs of operating a sub in general again (been awhile since 688(i)). When I get even a bit more familiar I'll likely update to SCXIIC and get on with multiplayer and so on.

Sub Sailor
05-04-06, 11:28 PM
Henrym;
I played SC original and then shifted over to SCXIIc and I have never been sorry. I like you played 688i and still do, but I really like SCXIIc.
The only problem I have is when I went to XP I get the flashing, I had it in DW but they fixed that. It is an annoyance but I have just learned to ignore it.
SCXIIc is great, I have never played MP so I cannot comment. Well yes I can, I don't know how.
I am working on some SC mission now using SCXIIc and Subgroup will post them if they measure up. They will roughly be based on my experience in subs from 1962 to 1981, but I will blow things up because I like to. I like to sneak in and all but in the end I just got to kill something.

Try SCXIIc, you'll love it,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret) :rock:
Sub Sailor

Sea Demon
05-08-06, 05:52 AM
The only problem I have is when I went to XP I get the flashing, I had it in DW but they fixed that. It is an annoyance but I have just learned to ignore it.

Hey Sub Sailor. Have you tried to close all unecessary background programs. I did this for FC and SC and the screen flicker you describe really dimished on my machine to a point that it's hardly noticeable. You might want to try the same thing. Right now I'm only getting one flicker every 35-40 seconds. Roughly once per minute. Better than the flicker every 5-8 seconds or so that I had before.

I think there is a program out there that helps you do this. It's called "Enditall" or something to that effect. Maybe someone can help with the name of the program if I'm wrong.

Hope it helps.

Sub Sailor
05-08-06, 08:22 AM
I have the program I just have not used it, I will give it a try. I am working on some missions for SCXIIe at the moment.

Sub Sailor

Sub Sailor
05-08-06, 08:22 AM
SCXIIc

Linton
05-22-06, 05:06 PM
Subsailor how are those new games going?Will you share them with the community when they are ready?

Sub Sailor
05-22-06, 06:48 PM
I most certainly will share them, I am reworking the SSN Missions based on Clancy's book. I am also working, on paper, several more. I must be honest, I bought a ATV and I have been playing with that. I am getting ready for Trout season and this ATV will let me fish some high mountain lakes I have never been able to get to before.

Sub Sailor