PDA

View Full Version : Botched Barrier

SeaQueen
01-29-06, 09:39 AM
I set a kilo to do a barrier patrol but when he got to the other side of the barrier, instead of turning around and going back the other way, he stopped, surfaced, and slowly drifted aground.

Has anyone else had any trouble with getting AIs to do correct barrier patrols?

Fish
01-29-06, 10:52 AM
You can set a script to, Pathfinding for (Kilo) on\off.

OKO
01-29-06, 12:09 PM
Thanks for this thread, you makes me wonder about, then test :up:

On barrier patrols, subs will go from the initial point to the barrier point, come back and restart same process indefinitly.
If you put more than one barrier WP, they will be ignored.

During that time, with a (presumed because never the same) random factor, the sub will come back 5 mn to shallow depth (to transmit data with wire antenna) and after this 5 minutes, will dive again to programmed depth until the next SD event.

I just measured it, on some tests, in accelerate time :
the first PD occurs beetween 1h and 1h50 and you must wait ~4 hours for the second.

So I find this very interesting to use !

you just have to put a simple barrier point, and the AI sub will do the job and even manage to jump on the link, regularly, during 5 minutes only, to transmit or receive data :ping:

Coupled with other platforms, this allow the sub in barrier tactic to have a very good situational awarness.

If you want to avoid the sub to go in shallow depth, use area weapons instead of barrier.
delete one WP and put the sub beetween the last 2 WP => you have a barrier tactic ...

OKO
01-29-06, 12:17 PM
You can set a script to, Pathfinding for (Kilo) on\off.

pathfinding is used for ships to (""try to"") avoid the collision with land.
example =>
you created one cargo with a large random box, and you want him to go the other way of a small strait.
just put a WP on the other side of the strait and use a script "setpathfinding on for cargo" at mission start.
Then the cargo will find the way to the WP without grounding in the mouth of the strait.
With pathfinding, you just have to put a single WP, far away, and the platform will manage to calculate the path to reach it.

It works 80 to 90% of time

HydroShok
01-30-06, 04:02 PM
if you put a sub at 55ft deep, it will continously transmit link. Can't tell if it actually raises masts or not. All friendly AI subs that start at 55ft will show up on link early in the game. They are pretty quick to launch TASM if you link to them. I imagine it works at a bunch of different depths but thats the one i used.

i put a SSM site on an island one time. Then i stuck a seawolf at 55ft deep approx. 2-4 miles from the SSM site. Somehow the AI actually promoted the SSM site to link (i guess its using ESM to detect it, not sure if it actually raises the mast). Then another AI Seawolf lauched a TLAM at it. Pretty kewl :|\

i didn't realize that barrier included a depth change and link promote, thats neat. :)

OKO
01-31-06, 10:36 AM
if you put a sub at 55ft deep, it will continously transmit link. Can't tell if it actually raises masts or not. All friendly AI subs that start at 55ft will show up on link early in the game.

at 55ft, they use masts.
but on barrier they won't come that shallow, they stay ~70 ft and use floating wire.
So they see nothing on ESM.

i didn't realize that barrier included a depth change and link promote, thats neat. :)

I Just discovered this with this seaqueen post and following tests !