PDA

View Full Version : Morale, Stress and Casualties...

Hellcat
01-25-06, 05:04 PM
Driving along to school today had me thinking about the lack of an high detail stress/morale model in SHIII. Why is it that I can be depth charged for say 2 hours and simply come back for more? Should there not be a limit to what a Captain can ask of his/her crew? I'm certainly not saying that the entire crew should go into nervous breakdowns when the DD's pass overhead, I'd just like to see it have an effect on raw crewmembers and prehaps a few of the old salts at random.

My second gripe is that 99% of the time you take no casualties from enemy weapons. What is that? I dont have any documentation that confirms my thoughts, but I would think that certainly one or two boats came back with significant casualties. (Would make for an interesting mission with say a 3rd of your crew incapacitiated.)

In addtional injuries were surely common, especially in this line of work, should we not have injured crewmen to contend with as well?

Some may say this is going to far but if I do recall this is an scalable simulation, so bring it on the complexities in buckets! :rock:

Abraham
01-26-06, 12:17 AM
I agree with Hellcat on the stress factor. Submarines tended to stay away from depth charges as much as they could. It would be nice though if somebodfy coulkd come up with historic evidence trhat U-boats withdrew after being depth charged and not renewed their attack for low-morale reasons.

As far as Hellcat's remark about a higher number of casualties is concerned I do not agree. I think thata high number of casualties would be accompanied by the destruction of the boat. Anybody inside the pressure hull was virtually invulnarable unless the pressure hull itself was destroyed...

Joe S
02-05-06, 08:41 PM
I would prefer to forget about morale and stress, etc, not because I dont think such an element would enhance the game but because I think it would enhance the game ONLY if it can be done without problems, which is NOT likely. The fatigue and crew management which is part of SHIII is a good example.Totally screwed up, and a pain in the butt and a serious flaw in what would otherwise be a near perfect subsim. Stick to the basics please, gameplay, graphics and sound effects. . Joe S

redsolo
02-14-06, 05:15 AM
I cant agree with you Joe, I dont want a simulator that just simulates the hard facts. Its like saying if SHIV cant simulate a real sunset it shouldnt try doing it, ie no sunsets at all.

I would like to have a way of disabling this, and I think there are tons of mods out there that just does it. So it is more a flavor than a decision not do it.

I was thinking about this as well, and I like that the people becomes tired and washed out. Who wouldnt be stressed after 2 weeks in a crammed space, annyoing teammates, and the constant pinging in the ears from last nights way to close depth charge. Or the constant running up/down when I go down to periscope depth to do a sonar scan. Think of never sleeping fully for 2 weeks, at the end they guys would not be the best. So I actually like the SHIII idea, perhaps it was just done improperly. I would like to have 2-3 shifts so I know that the guys gets some rest when needed.

But of course when talking other games, I prefer CloseCombat over any other platoon strategy game. Why? Because the people in it are real (almost), when the tank guys jumps out of a burning tank they will not grab the nearest weapon and start fighting like normal.

STEED
02-14-06, 05:20 AM
It's the old saying people the more you want the greater the cost :yep:

Interesting idea but not practical :hmm:

Abraham
02-14-06, 11:40 AM
Morale for individual crew members could be nice. To keep up the spirit of your team...

U-Dog
02-17-06, 11:25 AM
Well i think the Not Your Grandmother's Fatigue model might be along the lines of what you want. haven't tried it yet myself but it does say that a string of successful sinkins will improve crew performance while failures will lower it. Take a look at the read me and see what you think.

My only reason for not trying it is I'm just getting back into SH & want to give the original game a run thru before adding more mods. :ping:

Ooops, forgot which forum i was in. :oops: