PDA

View Full Version : Time Compression in SHIV

Sheppard
01-03-06, 10:37 PM
It's going to need to be handled better than in SH3. Virtually every mission, except for the early war ones with S-Boats out of Manila is going to be the equivalent of a West African Coast Patrol out of France with a Type IX in patrol lenght; and I don't think many of us can stand that; even for a US Subsim with SH3's current TC workings.

They need to improve it so that you can actually run high TCs reliably and smoothly; and eliminate the "computer slows down dramatically when within x nautical miles of a convoy" thing that acts like a beacon telling you that something is there.

gdogghenrikson
01-04-06, 01:59 AM
never really had that problem..but then again I dont play above 256x

donut
01-04-06, 02:14 AM
They could start you out in your patrol area, kinda beam you from Midway to Turk Atol,like as simulated in SHI.I just had a flash back to an old Sub movie...Operation Petticoat & The boat with the red lead skin,any oldtimers rember this :rotfl:

Sheppard
01-08-06, 06:44 AM
Actually, it may not be as much as an issue as I thought; I've recently been reading a book about the USS HALIBUT in WWII; by a retired RADM; and he describes how they cruised across the pacific at 15 knots; at that speed; it took only 8 days for them to make their way from Midway to off the Japanese coast. US Fleet boats had 20 knot top speeds and huge fuel reserves that make even IX's look puny

sam0t
01-09-06, 02:31 AM
I really hope they will add faster time compression when friendlies are close to you. In the beginning it was nice to drop into 8x when friendly aircraft showed up but later on it just became pain, atleast for me :)

Best example is Lorient, now that base was time compression nightmare :D

Drebbel
01-10-06, 07:31 PM
The TC is ok for me, but I am a player who does not midn just completeing one mission a month.

Mebbe you dev-team should include include a feature that beams you sub to the patrol zone (as they originally planned for SHIII), just showing a red line marking the route z your sub takes.

DAB
01-10-06, 07:39 PM
The TC is ok for me, but I am a player who does not midn just completeing one mission a month.

Mebbe you dev-team should include include a feature that beams you sub to the patrol zone (as they originally planned for SHIII), just showing a red line marking the route z your sub takes.

As an option I presume.

I for one like the idea of pulling out of harbour and deciding for myself the best way to get from a to b.

At the end of the day, as long as the time compression is somewhere near the 8192x mark, surely the experence will be par with SHIII

I agree though, that the slowing down of the computer near a convoy or the watch officer doesn't report a contact till its right on top of you issue neads sorting