PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Navpers manuals

hunter301
01-01-06, 05:10 PM
I found a NavPers 16160-b for sale on the internet. On the front of the book it simply says The Submarine with the larger SS letters. Is this manual for the fleet type submarine? I have the entire NavPers 16160 manual for the fleet type submarine on CD from the History on CD and it shows the cover as describing the fleet type submarine.
In short is the 16160-B different from the 16160 manual.

Kapitan
01-01-06, 06:23 PM
SS submarine (con)
SSK hunter killer (con)
SSG guided missile submarine (con)
SSB ballistic missile submarine (con)
SSQ comunications submarine (con)
SSA auxilary submarine (con)

SSN attack submarine (nuke)
SSGN guided missile submarine (nuke)
SSBN ballistic missile submarine (nuke)
SSQN communications submarine (nuke)
SSAN auxilary submarine (nuke)

DSRV deep sumergence rescue viachle

ROV remotly oparated viachle

is this what you meaning or have i got it totaly wrong ?

hunter301
01-01-06, 06:32 PM
Sorry Kapitain.
Not even close. It references the service manuals used for the older type WWII fleet type submarines. They can be found on www.history-on-cdrom.com. I like to use them both when playing the sub games but also when reading WWII sub novels to follow along with the accuracy of the novel. In Cammeron Cooke's novel "Pride Runs Deep" there was a section where the stern planes where jammed in a steep dive quickly sending the ship down past hull crush depth. :o But a quick thinking ensign in the stern torpedo room realized what was happening and ordered his crew to man the manual stern plane controls. It was very cool to reference the technical manual for the sub and see what had to actually take place to make this happen. :up: :rock: