PDA

View Full Version : Falling asleep to Pacific Aces

Dakar23
12-19-05, 12:44 AM
I'll admit more then once to start a campaign I'll set time compression to x2 or x4, head to an interior station, and turn my monitor off, and my surround sound up. The ambiance of this sim is so that I can now fall asleep to the pocketapcketa of the diesels or the hum of the motors, listing to the muted foot falls and the various knocks and bumps of a fleet sub at war.. However should a ship be sighted or a sonar contact appear, I'm ready, hopefully, to roll out of bed and take command. Skipper never sleeps ya see, I just rest my eyes.

Um...anyone else to this? Or am I just taking it a bit far?

horsa
12-19-05, 07:09 AM
There was a guy over on the SH3 forum who posted a description of a mission he did in REAL TIME . Much the same thing . Read books, went to sleep etc and was roused only by alarms, sightings etc . Got to admire that ..... the ultimate sim experience.

Bruno Lotse
01-04-06, 09:18 PM
I did exactly that. Every evening back from work I would fire up my SH2 with 4x time compression and proceed with my evening routines wrapped into sounds of diesel, ocean, wind and stuff from SH2 patrol. I LOVED it! That kind of immersion, up to 3 real time months on a single patrol. Any problem on board - I had to quit whatever I am doing and attend to my main duty - UBoot Kommandant. Oh, those excruciating hours of creeping away on Shleiffahrt from a British destroyer above you. Do they hear us? Would they nail us?! Would we see another day? Oh, man. Oh, that joy of seeing Norwegian fjords again after months at sea.

Once I was in my kitchen doing dishes. I was just doing dishes. ALARM!!! ALARM!!! Flugzoig ausgemacht!!! Plane! I dashed from my sink. There was a chair with a stack of clean dishes. In the rush I hit them. They slammed on the floor. I rushed over them to my post at PC to command TAUCHEN!!! TAUCHEN!!! Dive!!! Dive!!! Hell with dishes. we gotta survive!!!. Well, I had a load of broken stuff, but who cares as we made it.

Another time I was in dumps and to sort it out - took quite a lot of beer. Being absolutely sure that nothing bad might possibly happen (heck, we were in the middle of Atlantik) retired to my bunk. Sometime in 3 am I woke up because of hellish noise - alarms, yells, groans, noise of spurting water (SH2 has a great sound pack from Das Boot) What the hell? We ran aground in the middle of the ocean. Bloody Sable Island!!! Verdamnt! Next day I had to talk to my superintendent as my neighbors did not appreciate my last night troubles. Firstly they thought something real bad was happening (it was bad enough for our boat - we had to sail back to the base), then, when they sorted out the true reason, they lodged a complaint. I love SH2.
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5830/bestregardsfrombergen0as.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bestregardsfrombergen0as.jpg)

Dakar23
01-13-06, 03:29 AM
Just got a wireless keyboard for my comp. Now I can instanly rely the basic commands, crash dive being more important BEFORE i have to head for my computuer room. Ain't technology grand?

DeepSixNiner
02-16-06, 07:16 PM
:rotfl:

You guys rule!

That Das Boot sound effects update sure makes it easy to "immerse" yourself in the sim. All you needed, Bruno, was some smoke to cough on when you woke up.

I've tried letting SH run while I sleep, but I've never woken up to a live boat.

Cheers.

Reinhard Hardegen
11-24-06, 07:34 PM
I love to play as much real time as I can, a real sub captain feel. It takes real patiences to do this, as you will travel for hours, if not days, with nothing happening. Then you hear the crew yell and the alarms go off, and its a real heart thupping and adrenilene high. You will feel like you are really there.:up:

One reason I love to play at Raiders of the Deep, as they are not timed missions, and they would rather you play real time to get that real sub commander feeling. If needed you can take two months to finish one mission. Their new Campaign Wolf Hunters is the same way.:cool:

Sorry for just ranting, but as I said, its the only way to play, if you have the time.:up:

MarkShot
11-24-06, 09:45 PM
Ah, the quest for realism! Do you skip taking a shower for two months?

Me - I gave up with PA {Now, I only play AOD and SH1 for WWII subsims.} I had managed to pretty much resolve every issue inherent in SH2 (meaning PA too), but for the time compression sometimes getting stuck at a ridiculously low number. I agree that patrols were long drawn out affairs, but I just don't have the patience to patrol in 1:1 TC mode. More power to you! :)

Kapitan_Phillips
11-25-06, 06:35 PM
I too am guilty of this. There's nothing more soothing than the diesels, and nothing more immersive than knowing something could happen. Infact, my mother knows the command for "surface" and uses the ruckus to wake me in the mornings :P

Reinhard Hardegen
11-25-06, 07:59 PM
Posted by Kapitan Phillips
Infact, my mother knows the command for "surface" and uses the ruckus to wake me in the mornings

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now that's one way to get out of bed.:sunny:

Stealth Hunter
11-26-06, 02:56 PM
I've tried that. My problem is that I sleep like a corpse. It's amazing because I can sleep through an ice storm and have someone poke me and nearly give me a heart attack.

U-533
11-27-06, 10:18 AM
a mission that is long say about 8 hours real time with a large battle at the end to wake you?

I am currently working on such a mission that includes an air and surface attack that can be watched or taken part in.

Plus your choice of ships (sub or surface).

At this time it is only for the US side but the Japan Navy will have its turn also.

As I said its still in the works but Im in no hurry to finish it if its not wanted or needed.

Im tweaking the Heavy Cannon soundwaves to help viberate small dust collectors from thier secure shelving....LOL... My wife hates this part..lol... :gulp:
Plus adding some Fire and more smoke to projectile launching...

Well let me know if you wanna try it....