PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought about Lookouts

jericho791
12-18-05, 07:27 PM
I think I posted this when SHIII was in development. - LOOKOUTS! I know that in SHII they constantly scan 360 degrees simultaneously all the time. That made for a tough time hiding. If you put a scope up inside a certain range then you were sure to be spotted. I was wondering if there is a way to make the lookouts scan 360 degrees over a period of time, like a real lookout would have to do, maybe 2 min. Also factoring in a chance variable based on range. This would allow for a sneaky commander to maybe use a dip scope routine to evade visual detection.

Example:

Outside 2000 Meters - lookout must make 3 visual detections of a raised periscope to detect the sub.

1000 - 2000 Meters - lookout must make 2 visual detections of a raised periscope to detect the sub.

Less than 1000 Meters - lookout will detect sub with 1 visual detection of a raised periscope.

so on and so forth. An experience value could also be factored in to change the equation.

I don't know how lookouts work in SHIII but I just wanted to share my thoughts. What does everyone else think?

U-552Erich-Topp
12-18-05, 08:37 PM
:) Yes, and make the lookouts go back inside the submarine when you give the order to dive. My lookouts where able to stay in the conning tower at a depth of 12 meters in SH3

sonar732
12-31-05, 11:44 PM
sonarman_1019...nice to see you again! I agree that the lookouts need to have the option to scan the horizon. In DW, if the submarine is surfaced, the "lookout" can scan.