PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter IV is Official (Programmers wanted!)

Der Teddy Bar
12-16-05, 06:44 AM
To reinforce the Silent Hunter IV team, Ubisoft are looking for enthusiastic and good C/C++ programmers to join the development process.

You need:

Very good knowledge of C and C++
Very good knowledge of Windows OS
University degree
Previous experience in game development is desired
Enthusiasm and desire to work in the game development field
Good command of English is a must, good French skills is advantageous
Dedication to the job
We offer:

Professional working environment
Career opportunities
Motivating salary
You can send your application to HR@ubisoft.ro; please include in the subject the following: SHIVPrCCPP.

HEMISENT
12-16-05, 07:17 AM
Holy Cow! Could it be that it might actually happen? :hmm:

Marhkimov
12-16-05, 07:18 AM
Yeah, it will only take a year or two to develop. That's plenty of time to enjoy SH3. ;)

supersloth
12-16-05, 07:57 AM
:o

Gizzmoe
12-16-05, 07:59 AM
Cool! Stickied.

John Channing
12-16-05, 07:59 AM
Anyone want to see my list of people who said it would not happen?

Oh Ye of little faith.

JCC

DAB
12-16-05, 08:00 AM
Im over the moon... an up to date Non-German Subsim.

Question: Will they consult on features like they did with Silent Hunter III. I have a wish list.

DAB
12-16-05, 08:00 AM

Oh Ye of little faith.

JCC

Yes

Sniper_1
12-16-05, 08:05 AM
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!

In 2006 i've got Subwolves and SHIV to look forward too...how will i be able to cope with the wait ;) ;) ;) .

And seconding DAB's comment 'Question: Will they consult on features like they did with Silent Hunter III. I have a wish list.' :up:

Sniper_1

Marhkimov
12-16-05, 08:10 AM
Most important question of all... Will they frigging finish the job this time?!

Please Ubi, do a complete job, or at least give us a disclaimer. That would've been nice for SH3:

"Due to lack of funding, SH3-out-of-the-box does not come fully assembled. Modders are required in order to receive the complete gaming experience."

CWorth
12-16-05, 08:15 AM
Most important question of all... Will they frigging finish the job this time?!

Please Ubi, do a complete job, or at least give us a disclaimer. That would've been nice for SH3:

"Due to lack of funding, SH3-out-of-the-box does not come fully assembled. Modders are required in order to receive the complete gaming experience."

That deserves a big AMEN!!!!

Finish the job this time and dont expect the community to fix your problems.

I have to admit I am looking forward to this but will probably wai tto buy it this time to see what others say on whether we got another game that is unfinished and flawed like SH3.

Gizzmoe
12-16-05, 08:24 AM
Guys, stop bitching, please...

Marhkimov
12-16-05, 08:30 AM
Well, aren't we free to do so?

We pay them 50 bucks to make our game, therefore we can b*itch and whine all we want. :D

Overkill
12-16-05, 08:31 AM
:D Woo Hoo! Finally we get to return to the Pacific.

FesterShinetop
12-16-05, 08:53 AM
Wow, great news indeed! Should be great fun to return to the pacific theatre!
I guess the Subsim market is big enough after all!

John Channing
12-16-05, 08:57 AM
Well, aren't we free to do so?

We pay them 50 bucks to make our game, therefore we can b*itch and whine all we want. :D

Not here we aren't.

Check the Subsim FAQ.

JCC

Marhkimov
12-16-05, 09:02 AM
Anyways, we're not bitching... just wishing Ubi does a complete job, that's all.....

Syxx_Killer
12-16-05, 09:10 AM
This is indeed good news... I guess. :shifty: :88) I was hoping more for a WWI U-boat sim over a Pacific campagin. I'll keep my eyes on it, though.

Paajtor
12-16-05, 10:46 AM
In 2006 i've got Subwolves and SHIV to look forward too...how will i be able to cope with the wait ;) ;) ;) .

Here (http://www.subsim.com/nucleus/index.php?blogid=4), it says Q3 2007, btw.
So you will be looking forward to it in 2006. :lol: :D

CCIP
12-16-05, 12:46 PM
Awesome news! The subsim genre will survive at the very least.

And since it'll be the team's second attempt, I'm sure they'll have learned from some of the deficiencies.

More importantly, and I hope you've stressed this to them already Teddy Bar (if you indeed have access to them) - they have to pay attention to what the modders have done and, especially, what kinds of problems they found. It's better to fix them now than hope for a mod a year later to do the job through some backwards solution.

I hope it'll be an extension of the SHIII engine with some (much-needed) enchancements. I hope it fixes a few of the nagging issues. I hope they give the AI at least as much attention as the graphics.

Good luck Devs! I'm behind you 100% on this :)

scrapser
12-16-05, 12:50 PM
Perhaps some of the more passionate modders of SH3 might band together and ask the UBI people if SH4 couldn't be more of a joint effort. If the modders are willing to fix things in SH3 without compensation, maybe they would be willing to help with development on SH4 without compensation and instead be rewarded with having had an opportunity to contribute to a fine simulation. The benefit to the core developers would be to have a resource to take some of the load off their shoulders, giving them more time to create a sim of high caliber without the added expense.

This way, everyone wins. You know, the way games have been developed over the years is not set in stone, so why not?

scrapser

CCIP
12-16-05, 12:59 PM
I think it would be a little strange to have paid professionals and unpaid enthusiasts working side by side. That wouldn't really work as far as development goes.

The best thing would be for the devs to
1) consult the modders.
2) BETA. Betabeta beta. I can tell you that there are better beta-testers in this community than money can buy. There are some incredibly incisive players who proved remarkably capable of finding and diagnosing problems in the game.

I really wish they would consider drafting beta testers from the community. Because the community has more than proven its worth. Sure they might be hyper-critical sometimes, but I think it'd save Ubi some embarassment later when rather silly problems (remeber the UZO bug?) are suddenly found in the game's commercial release.

Marhkimov
12-16-05, 01:00 PM
I love your idea scrapster. Now granted, not everyone can contribute high volumes of ideas and/or work, but it would be cool if we were allowed to give them "stuff" to use.

Hellcat
12-16-05, 03:32 PM
Wow just goes to show that I was mostly wrong about ubisoft :huh:

This is great news, I would think that they'll simply port the SH3 engine and mod the hell outta it for this game.

Sniper_1
12-16-05, 07:45 PM
Interesting comments and ideas here. But one thing i think we can agree on is thay Ubisoft would be very unwise not to consult with the online community (recognising that Ubi did listen to us and implemented a dynamic campaign for SHIII). For a start, how many of use here use an 'un-modded' copy of SH3? i'd say very few. Now while everything the mod community has done is probably beyond the capabilities of a commercial software company, i think it would be in the interest if Ubi to enlist the help of the online comminuty.

Persoanlly i think using some of the talent found here to actually make the game if not as far-fetched as it seems, how about a contest to create the best 3d model and skin of a 1944 Gato? with the 'winner' having their model/skin included in the game. And if ubi were not prepared to go so far, then at least use the community as a Beta testing resource.

Personally for me the major gap in SHIII was the lack of other U-boats and their AI (i wanted wolfpacks...). If Ubi can fix this in SHIV, then i would be very happy.

My 'pushing out the boat' wish would be some sort of strategic element to the game, like the proposed subwolves (www.subwolves.com) project.

Sniper_1

Marhkimov
12-16-05, 08:46 PM
Honestly, I would help for free.. No incentive required.

How many other modders share my stance? I mean, it's not like we make mods for money...

Zachstar
12-16-05, 09:46 PM
I really hope they have learned the SH3 lesson and have decided to havily involve the community with this.

Sounds like wonderfull days ahead!

CaptJodan
12-17-05, 12:10 AM
Been absent for a while on these boards, but just came to check in again, and wow :o what wonderful news. With SH3 done, I was wondering if we'd ever see another subsim of the same or better calibar ever again.

I haven't been here for a while so I'm not sure what all the issues are everyone's discussing regarding SH3 lately. Personally, I remember the days of SH2, and think overall the SH3 team did a fantatic job (with some need of improvement in certain areas, of course, but it is overal I speak of). There's always little or even some moderate or major things in almost every sim, but SH3 still is great to play.

I'd like to see....
Increased resolution options
Most or all compartments modelled to some degree (not usually requested, but it's been something of a dream of mine to be able to walk through the boat, but barring that, at least click through the boat to different compartments).
Proper diving depths
And of course the usual suspects that were missed in this game, but for the most part were fixed by the community.

I'm actually happy with most of the core of the game itself, and as long as they stick with most of that, I think it'd be a solid game. The first two speak to things the community right now can't really fix, as it's hard code. At least we know the wonderful community is capable of fixing or tweeking the softer spots of the game if necessary (not that I want to make those modders do more work by any means, but we all know something will fall through the cracks).

Oh, and we could probably do without Starforce. It didn't kill my computer, but I know for many it did, and I feel their pain. I would have gone bonkers had it not worked when I put it in the drive for the first time.

scrapser
12-17-05, 12:13 AM
Well, I think involving the community is definitely doable at some level. Like I said, the way things are done now is not written in stone. All it takes is a little creative thinking and some genuine willingness to come up with something new. The sim market is a niche market, so it makes sense to work more closely with the customers don't you think? We've demonstrated rather well just how much we care about what's put on the market. All it takes is for a developing company to want to do something a little different and see how it goes. This could catch on if it proved itself. We're already halfway there with all the modding that goes on after market. Seems to me its the natural next step.

scrapser

Hudsonhawk
12-17-05, 10:00 AM
Looking Very Foward to this!!!! :rock:

capt-jones
12-17-05, 10:26 AM
:hmm: will we get starfarce IV aswell :rotfl: :/\k:

Hartmann
12-17-05, 10:40 AM
This could be the reason that they donĀ“t release the SDK pack.

The heavy work is done, they only need new units, sub compartments.and some details like sounds, campaigns... :roll:

Now they do a mod, and sell it with starforce :rotfl: :rotfl:

U-552Erich-Topp
12-17-05, 10:44 AM
:) Well, I will be buying a copy of the new SH4 when it is released. This is wonderful news.

HundertzehnGustav
12-17-05, 10:49 AM

Oh Ye of little faith.

JCC
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

HundertzehnGustav
12-17-05, 10:49 AM

How many other modders share my stance? I mean, it's not like we make mods for money...
here here
cant paint good, but offer help anyway as i get better

benetofski
12-17-05, 04:53 PM
Im over the moon... an up to date Non-German Subsim.

Dydw i ddim yn deall?
....tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed! :cry:

I suppose I am biased, but I just dont see the point of a Pacific version - unless there are u-boots to fight in - :up:

diolch

_Skii_
12-17-05, 06:36 PM

Oh Ye of little faith.

JCC

You actually made a list ?

Abraham
12-18-05, 09:27 AM
Ubi's dev-team will not listen to the community as a whole, but certainly consult people like Neal Stevens and Drebbel. That has been proven in the past and worked well.
Furthermore, they will pick some enthousiasts from sites including our to Beta-test the game. Rest assured that the Beta-testers will be as critical as you can imagine. The message from the community to the dev-team will be loud and clear!

Drebbel
12-18-05, 09:53 AM
Ubi'dev-team will not listen to the community as a whole

Then please tell us why SHIII has a dynamic campaign ? :D

Abraham
12-18-05, 10:42 AM
Ubi's dev-team will not listen to the community as a wholeThen please tell us why SHIII has a dynamic campaign ?
But in the very same posting , but certainly consult people like Neal Stevens and Drebbel. That has been proven in the past and worked well...
:D

Sheppard
12-18-05, 03:44 PM
This time, RELEASE THE SDK!

I cannot emphasize this enough.

John Channing
12-18-05, 04:41 PM

Oh Ye of little faith.

JCC

You actually made a list ?

Sure.

I love it when people who have the "inside scoop", or who just like to post their opinions as fact, get it so very wrong... 'specially when I know different!

But I probably won't post the links to these threads. Hopefully they might think twice in the future, knowing someone is keeping track.

JCC
Rumour Control Since 1998

Abraham
12-18-05, 04:53 PM
JCC
I like your job description, John,
But your schedule must be overloaded...(since 1998)

John Channing
12-18-05, 06:38 PM
JCC
I like your job description, John,
But your schedule must be overloaded...(since 1998)

Around this place it's a full time job.

But the money's great!

JCC

SiragoSailor
02-02-06, 02:12 PM

I agree. and

having lived on Tench/GUPPYII's for the better part of my young days in the USN.
As I did on the SHI project please feel free to ask about the boats, crew, etc. and the orders one of the best was _"launch"_ torpedo. hehehehehehe shoot or FIRE !
My 2 cents :arrgh!:
best to ya