PDA

View Full Version : Ships at port

soundken
12-14-05, 03:29 AM
im having probs placing ships in port (is it even possible) when i set them between the docks most of them start blowing up :damn: and all there sensors are up and there screws turning, although there not moving (speed set to 0 ) is there anyway to place a ship in a "cold and dark state"?

FERdeBOER
12-14-05, 07:22 AM
Not know anything about the screws turning, but if the ship is stoped, is aminor problem.

I have managed to place ships in ports. The most common problem I found is that , if the sea is moving (more than 2), the sooner the later, the ship will crash aginst the harbour.

One solution is placing the ships close, but not too close.

Bill Nichols
12-14-05, 09:10 AM
Most likely, the ships are drifting into another object (e.g., a pier) :o . It's absolutely essential that you put both a water region and a wind region over the ship, both with zero water/wind speed. :know:

FERdeBOER
12-14-05, 09:22 AM
Oh, great trick Bill :up:

It's a good solutin I never thought... :hmm:

That's because I like this forum.

Bellman
12-14-05, 10:57 AM
:damn: :damn: :damn:
Why did'nt I think of that ??

Thats brought forward my mission releases - thanks Bill. :cool: :up: :rock:

soundken
12-14-05, 05:02 PM
thanks bill :rock:

any idea how close you can get them to the pier (will they sit between the slips or no ) i am trying to do a mis similar to in rsr where the chicago sneaks into "ascertain status russian fleet". however diff ocean diff fleet. any insight you wanna share would be much appreciated ie how many ground obj. can u place before game bogs down, behavior of ships in shallow waters ect

i really need them to turn the engines off all the bg noise makes it impossible to work :damn: also when i get close to port i start hearin active all over the place think its the 2 ddg's i placed at dock but unsure :damn:

Fish
12-14-05, 05:09 PM

any idea how close you can get them to the pier (will they sit between the slips or no )

Yes they can sit between.

soundken
12-14-05, 05:11 PM
:rotfl: that was quick thanks

FERdeBOER
12-14-05, 05:33 PM
If you want the ships turn off their radar and active sonar, mark the ENCOM box.

But be aware, I believe that passive sonar is still working. :ping:

Bill Nichols
12-14-05, 07:24 PM
And, make sure the bottom isn't too shallow :oops:

soundken
12-14-05, 11:25 PM
lol i thought checking ecom ment everything was on :oops:

too shallow? bill as in not enough water to float the boat or is there somthing else im missing :help:

Miika
12-15-05, 12:14 AM
I've used a shallow water to make sure those ships won't move. (= they won't move if they are in the bottom, and they won't take damage from that)

But Bill's solution seems to be a much better one.

Miika :ahoy:

Bill Nichols
12-15-05, 11:20 AM
lol i thought checking ecom ment everything was on :oops:

too shallow? bill as in not enough water to float the boat or is there somthing else im missing :help:

Well, surface ships don't seem to mind being placed in shallow water, but if you try to have a sub pierside, and the water's too shallow, then you can't save the scenario.

TLAM Strike
12-15-05, 03:19 PM
Even if you have an area of 0 current ships will still drift on occason...
http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/8673/frenchie8ou.th.jpg (http://img431.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frenchie8ou.jpg)

Bill Nichols
12-15-05, 06:41 PM
[quote="TLAM Strike"]Even if you have an area of 0 current ships will still drift on occason...
[URL=http://img431.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frenchie8ou.jpg][img]http://img431.

Don't forget the wind...

soundken
12-18-05, 06:16 PM
had a big break through on this last night (seems obvious mistake but i missed it so others may have as well) if you set the wind to 0 and the sea to zero every now and then you get a lii drift and BOOM :down:

now the fix if you change the docks option "include in sim" off that turns it into a non distructable object bad news is the ship still interfears with the dock graphicly but they dont blow up just float harmlessly through and although it looks bad it doesnt mess up the mission :rock:

Pigfish
12-18-05, 11:11 PM
Even if you have an area of 0 current ships will still drift on occason...

:o Never had one do what you posted in your pic. :o And she didnt blow up?

As mentioned the wind needs to be set to zero also. I give it some under water depth too. Currents get some above water height also.

Also noticed a sea state of three or more will eventually make ships drift regardless of settings. :(

IMHO, always. Merry Xmas.

Kapitan
12-28-05, 03:47 AM
ive had that one happen it sucks even playables can do it saw a krivak go up the ramp and ended up in the officers mess i dred to think what happend to that captain :arrgh!:

CaptJodan
01-07-06, 12:12 PM

any idea how close you can get them to the pier (will they sit between the slips or no )

I always flip through to the 3D view and set them up next to the pier manually. I usually use a barrier tactic, set speed to zero, and then line up the waypoint and the pier through the 3D view. (page 3 or 4 depending on the platform) It's a PIA, but it works.

Bill Nichols
01-07-06, 01:56 PM
Take a look at the first mission in my Red Storm Rising campaign to see how I put a FFG between slips.

PSUColonel
01-30-06, 03:27 PM
Yes Bill, I tried runing a seawolf out of that first campain, but the water was too shalow to dock a sub.

XabbaRus
02-10-07, 05:02 AM
Actually I started teh RSR campaign and had te edit it so the FFG started away from the docks as I was getting damage the second I started moving.

XabbaRus
02-10-07, 05:11 AM
What tactic needs to be set for ships not to move.

I have a whole bunch of ships with perimeter tactic and speed 0 but they all start moving at the beginning of the mission.

Bill Nichols
02-10-07, 10:04 AM
Actually I started teh RSR campaign and had te edit it so the FFG started away from the docks as I was getting damage the second I started moving.

The version currently on my site has the updates needed to prevent the above from happening.

I always give my 'ships at dock' a 'Transit' tactic with all waypoints given zero knots.

Rosencrantz
11-06-07, 04:48 PM
I just tried to get Ohio-class boomer to stay still in the harbour. I need to set small opposite current (0.05 knts) before the boomer stopped to drift. wind was 0. After that the boomer stayed half an hour just lying there.

Greetings,
-RC-