PDA

View Full Version : RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL

kiwi_2005
11-03-05, 04:13 PM
STOP!!!.

My son came home from school to day and told me his science teacher said that if man does not slow down he will use up all the earths energy resources within 15-20 years. Is he right? My mind boggled at the thought of Man coming to a stop. And if it truly happened man would surely die... or save himself.

Lets say man has been around for 5000 yrs, and say within the last 300yrs man went from hunter/gatherer to discovering electricity inventing firearms to weapons of mass destruction. Man took a mighty big leap from hunter/gatherer to now modern man in a very short time period. Why did it take us so long to discover electricity or invent firearms. For 4700 yrs (going by the 5000yr theory) man ran around hunting for food, useing primitive weapons living in primitve houses and moving forward in small steps. He didn't really do that great, he didn't really need too. He had shelter he had his mate and plenty of food. What more did he need.

Then we jump ahead to around the 1850's all of a sudden we became very advance in our thinking.

Today what man has achieved is just mind boggling, modern Transportation, air travel, space travel, communication devices,computers, advanced medicines, weapons of mass destruction, and weatlh to name a few. Everything now is moving very fast in our world. if i went back in time say 1000 yrs and said to the people of that time "Man will create machines that can travel round the world
under water" i probably would of been accused of being a warlock and burnt at the stake, yet we achieved it. So i could say the cloning of humans will prolong life resulting in living forever is within mans grasp? And cloning humans would be a way to cheat death? We die but we have stored data of our DNA and memories which are transfered into the new clone of ourselves. Is it possible? From
what has been achieved in the last 150 years of course its possible!, yet probably in a few hundred or more yrs from now.

Everyday man is busy thinking up something better than the last. What will be created today he'll be making plans to better it tomorrow. The scary thing is, will we ever stop!. For example: We have phones to communicate around the world yet are building new better phones each yr, We got computers but theres powerfull ones to come, we got sleek fast cars but we desire much faster sleeker cars, we got weapons to destroy cities yet if we could build a bomb that could destroy the planet we will build it.
Will we one day be satisfied where we can say enough?. Are we striving for perfection, is it greed? Or do we do it because we can?

Maybe we are just "Running with the Devil" and without realising it on the path to nearly destroying ourselfs and reversing back to the primitve days....

GENESIS: Now the whole earth had one language and one speech and they said, "Come let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth." But the Lord came down to see the city and tower which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, "Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be witheld from them. Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city.

And we all line up to jump on the bandwagon. :|\ :huh: :|\ :roll: :D

TLAM Strike
11-03-05, 06:12 PM
According to the Kardashev scale humanity is only rates .72 (with 1.0 being a civilization cable of harnessing all power from its planet). We are about 3 or 4 hundred years from that. So we are quite far from running out of resources since we have not yet begun to utilize them all. Also that doesn’t take in to account the possibility of using off-world resources to sustain us, the sun for example- much of its energy is filtered out by our atmosphere but the Moon has almost no atmosphere and would be a great place to put massive solar collectors that could power cities on earth. Admittedly we are quite far from achieving that but in only 60 years we’ve gone from launching fruit flies on V2 rockets, to building space stations and sending probes to other planets. Really we are just a few advancements away from being in a position to utilize the resources of our star system. This just gives us an excuse to go out there and do it.

Sixpack
11-04-05, 04:20 AM
Running with the devil happened to be the very first single I secretly bought as a 12 year old kid in 79. Little did my parents know, but I guess I turned out all right :roll:

Sixpack
11-04-05, 05:24 AM
Men's destiny is:

STAR TREK

Nothing seems to last forever -and our Sun and Mother Earth surely wont- but if man will find a way to travel through space and find other suitable planets men will have a way to survive in the long run. This includes altering our beings by technical means.

I fear for cloning and powerful AI, and such, but that's because I am still divided between history and future.

I somehow believe God is revealing to us all the time. That includes all technical knowledge science literally discovers.

We have to put it to good use in the interest of mankind. That is all that matters.

So maybe we are heading for Star Trek. And forget the Klingons and whatever :lol: But who knows: Other life elswhere. Anything is possible.

SUBMAN1
11-04-05, 06:24 PM
Energy in this world is as limitless as the oceans. Split the O2 off and you have hydrogen. Clean burning and a limitless fuel supply.

-S

Herman
11-04-05, 06:55 PM
My son came home from school to day and told me his science teacher said that if man does not slow down he will use up all the earths energy resources within 15-20 years. Is he right? My mind boggled at the thought of Man coming to a stop. And if it truly happened man would surely die... or save himself.I can't believe that this man has the audacity to call himself a "Teacher" much less a teacher of science. Sounds like he is an environmentalist who simply wants to pursue his own agenda with scare tactics such as these. I remember a few from my high school days. I'd be very wary of anything else this person professes to 'teach' your son. Thank goodness that I also had some really good teachers who could teach me hard science.

Sailor Steve
11-04-05, 07:26 PM
I was told by an environmentalist that we had already gone too far; the earth's natural resources would be exhausted in 25 years.

That was 1972.

SUBMAN1
11-04-05, 08:22 PM
I was told by an environmentalist that we had already gone too far; the earth's natural resources would be exhausted in 25 years.

That was 1972.

Don't make me laugh! :)

-S

Wim Libaers
11-05-05, 10:25 AM
Energy in this world is as limitless as the oceans. Split the O2 off and you have hydrogen. Clean burning and a limitless fuel supply.

-S

Confusing an energy storage medium with an energy source, or do you mean nuclear fusion when you write "burning"? In the case of fusion, you also need lithium (well, not really, but not having it would make things much harder).

kiwi_2005
11-09-05, 06:05 AM
Sounds like he is an environmentalist who simply wants to pursue his own agenda with scare tactics such as these

Theres a lot of these types over here. Another teacher was going on about how New Zealand is Nuclear free, she said we dont have a drop of nuclear in our country! Well everyone knows that the firealarms that can be brought and put in homes have a radiation device stored in them, my son mentioned this and it shut her up. She wasn't very pleased with him after that. :D

But yeah this country shouldn't be called New Zealand it should be called "Land of the treehuggers"