PDA

View Full Version : Ports of Call

PeriscopeDepth
10-25-05, 12:48 PM
Thought it might interest some around here. I played the original version and just bought the license to use the XXL version for $10. For those that don't know what it is, it's a run your own shipping company game.

www.portsofcall.de

Kissaki
10-25-05, 01:33 PM
What a coincidence! I was just thinking, "Hmmm, maybe I should continue one of my PoC savegames, haven't played that in ages." And then I see a thread about it here just as I was about to close the browser. And yes, of course I have the XXL (Gold) version. Money well spent!

PeriscopeDepth
10-25-05, 01:51 PM
I'm just getting the hang of it. The key seems to be taking many little cargoes that are all more or less on the way then one multi million dollar cargo on the other side of the world.

Jesper
10-26-05, 10:06 AM
Houston -> Calcutta
or
San Francisco -> Karachi

those are moneymaking routes

PeriscopeDepth
10-26-05, 01:29 PM
Houston -> Calcutta
or
San Francisco -> Karachi

those are moneymaking routes

I think you're talking about classic. That doesn't really exist anymore.

Kissaki
10-26-05, 02:08 PM
Houston and San Francisco still has some sweet deals, though. But the biggest fish are in Asia and Australia - Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Adelaide, Freemantle etc. And at least in the earlier versions of PoC XXL, tankers were really the way to go. Save up for a Jahre Viking and you had it made. After the last few updates, though, tankers have become noticeably less profitable.

And what's the point in those tiny passenger liners (or rather, ferries)? I spent some left-over cash on a tiny one, but was unable to turn a profit. The big ones are very profitable, though.

Kissaki
10-31-05, 05:08 PM
Something of a paradox, isn't it? Sometimes I like to play a game where I control a merchant navy. And other times I like to play a game where I blow it out of the water. :roll:

Perhaps there's a way to link the two games, like SH2 and Destroyer Command? :-j