PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Missile Crisis - how it was at that time?

retired1212
10-20-05, 10:32 AM
Actually my question is for those people who saw that time.
Without going in politics, how it was at that time? Were you afraid? What measures you took? How you felt?

Sailor Steve
10-20-05, 01:44 PM
I was only 12 years old, but it seemed to me that most Americans were more aggressive than afraid, at least the ones I talked to. We knew we'd kick those Russki's butts good! Of course that was probably what I picked up from friends my own age, and most of us had no idea what was really at stake at the time.

I'm sure the more mature and thoughtful people at the time hoped it would work out the way it did.

StdDev
10-20-05, 02:01 PM
I was only 12 years old, but it seemed to me that most Americans were more aggressive than afraid, at least the ones I talked to. We knew we'd kick those Russki's butts good! Of course that was probably what I picked up from friends my own age, and most of us had no idea what was really at stake at the time.

I'm sure the more mature and thoughtful people at the time hoped it would work out the way it did.

Steve.. at the time I was only 1/3 your age.. now I'm well over 3/4 your age.. catchin up!
I was much too young to really understand what was going on.. but I can remember how seriously the adults would get about it.. kind of made it frightening for a young kid.

John Channing
10-20-05, 05:51 PM
I can remember it very well. But you have to look at it in the context of the Cold War.

Schools were actually having Atomic Bomb drills where you crawled under the desk and tucked yourself into a ball so you would survive. In reality the only thing that would accomplish would be to make it easier to kiss your ass goodbye.

The Soviet Premier was pounding his shoe on the desk in the UN proclaiming he would bury the USA.

The Korean's grabbed the USS Pueblo and it's crew and wouldn't give them back.

Them Godless Commies were (so we were told by the Morons in power) storming up the Indo China Penninsula and were studying roadmaps of Akron, Ohio.

In this context it was very very scary.

JCC