PDA

View Full Version : They don't make subs like they used to

The Avon Lady
10-18-05, 02:52 PM
Who would have imagined what a little water down the hatch (http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=40d768b0-dc08-452a-986d-f8a4d9f56887) can do.

:lost:

Psycluded
10-18-05, 03:01 PM
The Navy sources said the bridge was completely submerged by the wave, and that if the lookouts and the officer of the deck had not been clipped in because of the foul weather they could have been washed overboard.

Good lord! Imagine that happening to your Type VII-C!

Oberon
10-18-05, 11:41 PM
I guess that's one of the places where the Russians got it right.

August
10-18-05, 11:59 PM
Of course nobody thought of closing the hatch in high seas?

The Avon Lady
10-19-05, 03:32 AM
Of course nobody thought of closing the hatch in high seas?
That's not the point. You would think that they could waterproof their electronic components a little bot better.

Suddenly, this emblem isn't so funny anymore:

http://img231.echo.cx/img231/5491/gcs000273yq.jpg

Bellman
10-19-05, 03:57 AM
We should never have moved away from wooden construction -
dammned progress.
They just dont make 'em like they used to when I was a boy.
I knew there would be problems moving away from a bouyant material - but we told 'em.
Never listened those white-coats.
Sorry its time for my medication. ;)

Kapitan
10-19-05, 09:18 AM
well at least the russians did get this one right :D

they have a foul weather bridge on most submarines hence the windows on the sail, they can close the top hatch and remain in side where its warm and dry and still navigate

great job russians

TLAM Strike
10-19-05, 10:56 AM
great job russians We did that for a time too but we discovered boats with all that extra structure are easier to detect.

Kapitan
10-19-05, 11:09 AM
theres not realy any extra stucture just the same sail with windows

TLAM Strike
10-19-05, 06:48 PM
Yea but they could probably cut the sail's height down by six or seven feet by removing it, which is a good idea for a diesel sub which might spend a lot of time on the surface i.e. low radar cross-section and smaller silhouette. I guess it comes down to weather you want a comfortable bridge crew or a better surfaced sub- US Submariners used to hang from the Periscope shears to get a better view of the surrounding ocean, so I guess you can figure out where our priorities are. :lol:

Torpedo Fodder
10-19-05, 11:14 PM
Incidently, it was seawater flowing through an open hatch in high seas and coming into contact with improperly insulated electrical cables that caused the fire on HMCS Chicoutimi last year.

Kapitan
10-20-05, 01:22 AM
russians consider some parts of the baltic and bearents sea too dangerous to place men on the outside, reason in 1958 a qubec class submarine while en route home was hit by bad weather the captain and two crew members were swept from the bridge into the sea, the captain was never seen again.

the russians want to keep the men they got but in saying that some submarines dont have the windows ones like Akula sierra and victor classes

tycho102
10-20-05, 07:31 PM
Hell, that's crazy. Of all the boats in the sea, I would have thought subs would have used a little bit of varnish on the wires. I mean, if you take a torpedo at 300 meters, you need some God Damn electricity running to get the thing to the surface. Much less an internal explosion in peace-time.

That's crazy the wires weren't insulated well. That is totally un-Navy. I mean, unsat like a sailor running 2.5km in 30 minutes.

What the HELL?!!

Kapitan
10-21-05, 01:24 AM
count yourself lucky i had to do a mile and half in 12 minuets managed to get it to just over 10