Crashdiver1
10-16-05, 06:38 AM
Dear Simmers,

I've installed the mod as instructed:
1. SH II (fresh)
2. Official Patch 1.1
3. Copied DestroyerCommand models
4. PacificAcesLite_11.exe

Fatal problem with PA lite: Every time I tried to start get into the sim the program crashes during the loading screen with a janus error.

When starting a campaign mission it returns:

Tue Mar 12 01:25:24 2002
Error -1 [(!(pProfileUnit->Open()))]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
F:\Devel\Janus2\WWII\Sources\WWIISWorld.cpp
Line 1238

With single missions I get for example:

Tue Jan 29 11:46:56 2002
Error -1 [pImage == 0]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
F:\Devel\Janus2\Portable\Sources\RMaterial.cpp
Line 1183

What puzzles me is, that the given path points to F: although the game is installed on C:. Could it be the program is looking for the 3d-models in the wrong place? :hmm:

Someone having an idea? Somebody knowing where to set these paths for SHII? Couldn't find it in the registry or at first look at the SHII files...

Many thanks in advance!

The Old Man
10-17-05, 05:34 PM
I don't have the "lite" version but if you don't put all the files but the model files in this directory "C:\Program Files\SSI\Silent Hunter II" which is the default then it's not gonna work. Also you know the models from Destroyer Command goes in the "C:\Program Files\SSI\Silent Hunter II\Sim\Models" Not the F: drive. If you did it like this then i have no idea why it don't work ?????????
Roy

Crashdiver1
10-17-05, 06:23 PM
I've copied all the files with the "JRF" extension from the DC "Models" folder to the corresponding "Models" folder of SHII as described in the readme. Have I misunderstood something here? All *but* these files? Are you sure? There have been some other files in the source folder too, but I've let them alone.

The Old Man
10-17-05, 08:48 PM
Jrf in "C:\Program Files\SSI\Silent Hunter II\Sim\Models"
all the rest in "C:\Program Files\SSI\Silent Hunter II
I hope this helps
Roy
If you done this then it has to be something else? If it was me I would unstall & try a new "full" install & try again.

The Old Man
10-17-05, 08:50 PM
One other thing now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it wants to install to the "f Drive because you don't have a full install? Do you have a full install?
Roy

Hitman
10-18-05, 08:53 AM
If you have another SH2 install and have added subsim's 1024 res mod, check that you select 800x600 when you play PA lite, because no matter how many installs of SH2 you have, the registry will set the same screen res for all. So PA lite might crash if another SH2 install is set to 1024x768 :hmm:

Crashdiver1
10-18-05, 02:07 PM
Thanks Hitman, but my monitor can only display 800x600 :88), so I've alway chosen this as standard resulution in SHII. I've only one fresh installation of SHII on my PC!

Does anybody have a clue what these "paths" in the janus errors mean? They don't seem to point to files, because I haven't found these files anywhere in the installation nor the CD.

Crashdiver1
10-18-05, 02:12 PM
One other thing now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it wants to install to the "f Drive because you don't have a full install? Do you have a full install?
Roy

Hi Old Man,

yes, I've made a full install. BTW: All the patches installed perfectly and returned no errors. Just the sim doesn't work :damn:

Hitman
10-18-05, 02:38 PM
My guess is that a unit or various units are still missing. It is strange because you seem to have completed all steps correctly :hmm:

RE the F:/ path in the janus error log, ignore that ... the game's exe seems to have an internal "virtual" path to a unit called internally "F:" that probably is located during the use of the game in the memory of your PC, so the models, units, etc. are loaded there and used by the game.

Nope, what the game is telling you is that it fails to find a unit, either his definition file or the 3D model.

Try this:

Repeat the install procedure you described in your first post BUT instead of only copying the models from Sim/models in Destroyer Command to Sim/models in Silent Hunter 2, copy also the whole folders called "Systems" and "Units"

Try also to copy the whole folders, i.e. all archives inside them, not only the jrf files in the /models folder, but also the TGA archives & all the rest.

Try that and report :know: