PDA

View Full Version : Das Boot question

Etienne
10-13-05, 09:39 PM
I've just finished reading the French version of the book (So I can't read German. Sue me.) and thorough the book, the submarines are known as UA, UW, UX, etc... Wherea I'm used to U-120, U-67, etc, except for supply boats.

What's going in, exactly?

Damo1977
10-14-05, 02:17 AM
I've just finished reading the French version of the book (So I can't read German. Sue me.) and thorough the book, the submarines are known as UA, UW, UX, etc... Wherea I'm used to U-120, U-67, etc, except for supply boats.

What's going in, exactly?

I can't read the German version, let alone the French!!! Hell I can't read English sometimes!!! :lol:

The actual story/patrol of 'Das Boot' is fictional. It is made of many stories, experiences and patrols rolled into one. Forget about U - ect enjoy the story.

Etienne
10-14-05, 12:58 PM
I know it's fictionnal, I can read a foreword. I was just wondering if anyone knew why the author had decided not to use numbers.

Lucky Starr
10-14-05, 03:23 PM
mhhhmm...

my guess is

a) sometimes the boats are called by the BdU not with their numbers, but with the name of the CO e.g. U-Hartenstein or U-Mützelburg... and LGB make it short like UM or UH.

b)LGB want not give away the numbers, because he want to keep the privatsphere of the persons, such as he called the CO as "The old man" or in german "Der Alte" and the Chief Engineer is always the "LI".

c)The predecessor of "Das Boot" was the book "Jäger im Weltmeer" (don't known if a translation in other languages exist). This book was written in 1943 so the numbers of the boats were top secret.

Well, thats my guess!
(sorry for my english)