PDA

View Full Version : Blank Screen comes on in middle of Loading Mission...

tim843
10-12-05, 10:12 AM
On a Win XP pro machine:

1. Loaded SHII fresh
2. Made a donation on subsim, downloaded and installed
PacificAces_RC4.exe
3. I get this message in the middle of Mission Loading,then Screen Blanker:

Sat Oct 6 16:43:02 2001
Error -1 [Unknown unit category.]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
C:\Devel\Janus2\WWII\Sources\WWIISWorld.cpp
Line 1322

4. I checked my version of DirectX and ran the tests...even reloaded it from the SHII CD.
5. then downloaded and ran PA1.1_GlitchFix_Pack.zip
6. then downloaded Pacific Aces 1.1 Patch.EXE

Getting frustrated...just want to go hunting! Help!
Thanks

Hitman
10-12-05, 10:38 AM
Looking at your list of things done before installing subsim's PA I don't see that you applied the official 1.1 patch for Silent Hunter 2 :huh:

Did you patch to 1.1 before installing PA?

The patches and glitch fixes to PA are not essential to gameplay, they update the mod and fix minor bugs, but the original release should work anyway by itself.

The janus error you get tells that a unit is missing when SH2-PA tries to load a mission. That missing unit could come from either the 1.1 official patch install missing, or any problem/malfunction in the PA mod you downloaded. This one is not likely to happen, but you can easily test if the mod in general works by trying different missions from the single mission menu and seeing if all, some or none do work.

Assoon as you answer the 1.1 patch issue and tell me if the single missions work, I might be able to help your further :up: Note all janus errors you get and also copy them here, they help diagnosing the problem :know:

tim843
10-12-05, 10:55 AM
Thanks, that was fast.....
I did run the 1.1 patch

Sealion vs. Congo, Halibut vs. Isl, End of Yubari
Sat Oct 6 16:43:02 2001
Error -1 [Unknown unit category.]
C:\Devel\Janus2\WWII\Sources\WWIISWorld.cpp
Line 1322

Training mission 1:
Thu Aug 9 11:31:08 2001
Error -1 [(!(LoadSibling( path,sName,0 )))]
C:\Devel\Janus2\Windows\Sources\BD3DImg.cpp
Line 110

Is there a readme with specific instructions on the exact order these should be installed. Maybe I need to start all over.....or am I on the right track?
Thanks,
Tim

tim843
10-12-05, 11:00 AM
Also got this on training mission 3:

Mon Oct 8 16:51:26 2001
Error -1 [eCat = UNIT_GROUP_UNKNOWN]
C:\Devel\Janus2\Portable\Sources\SWorld.cpp
Line 2055

Hitman
10-12-05, 11:05 AM
Hi Tim

the correct order is always:

-Clean install of SH2

-Official patch 1.1

-Projekt Messerwetzer 1.02 or 1.03 (Optional but recommended)

-Pacific Aces RC4

Then the Glitch fix pack, and at least the Pacific Aces 1.1 patch

I suggest you try first to get the stock PA to work before adding the glitch fix and the 1.1 PA patch. First walk, then run :know:

Tell me if you have installed in that order, otherwise run a clean install of the first four (Do not install by now glitch fix and 1.1 patch) and see if it works well. Also ensure to set in the options menu the graphics to either 800x600 or 1024x768 res.

:know:

tim843
10-12-05, 11:15 AM
Is the Official patch 1.1 the same as Pacific Aces 1.1 Patch.EXE (this is the one I have) ?

I'm confused what the difference is in Pacific Aces 1.1 patch and the Official patch 1.1

Where do I get Projekt Messerwetzer 1.02 or 1.03 and any 1.1 patches I dont have?

Thanks,
Tim

Hitman
10-12-05, 12:10 PM
Ah, there we have it....

no, there is an official 1.1 patch from UBI for SH2

and there is a 1.1 patch for the PA mod

Both are different :P ...one is for SH2 and the other is for PA mod

You can get the official SH2 patch here:

http://www.silenthunterii.com/intro.html

Be patient, it is a big download (23.2 MB) and a slow web :shifty:

You can then get Projekt Messerwetzer from the wpl downloads:

http://www.subsim.com/ssr/p_messerwetzer.htm

Try that and report :up:

Charleston
10-12-05, 06:01 PM
Hi folks,

What does Projekt Messerwetzer add to PA?

I didn't install it thinking it was essentially a multi-player mod. and I didn't think there was a following for playing PA online.

Thanks!

Hitman
10-13-05, 03:15 AM
Hi Charleston

PM gives you manual control of the dive planes, improves the damage model (Flooding can worsen over time), enables correct silent running (Previously rigging for silent running had no effect in the stock game) and also helps avoiding some janus errors that happen when using the high-lod models by sergbuto. :up:

Charleston
10-13-05, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the info Hitman,

Those are significant perks in PM. It might be time for a reinstall. :)

tim843
10-13-05, 04:05 PM
I really appreciate your help!!! I loaded the first four you told me in order and was able to play the game! Thank you. Next I need to figure out how to make the enemy ships have Japanese names and not say US tanker. Is that the Glitch pack? I've only tried Cake Walk and thats off the W.African coast. Is there a patch that gets me back in the Pacific, and ID's me as US, not U-167.
All that aside, what a treat to be back in the water huntin!
Thanks again,
Tim

Hitman
10-14-05, 03:07 AM
Hi again Tim

Cake walk and ship's galore are missions added by projekt messerwetzer patch, and feature german subs. They are not a part of Pacific Aces, but since the PA mod only ensures compatibility with PM, and not a full integration of it, those missions are not deleted. Play any of the other missions or a campaign (Remember to generate one first with the in-game tool) and you will get 100% correct Pacific warfare.

You can manually delete those both missions if you want, they are located in the folder shell/scenarios. I would do it, since using german subs with US interface & voices is unpleasent.

RE the ship's names, Emeazul, a guy here at subsim, provided some time ago a minipatch to fix that.

Good hunting :up:

tim843
10-18-05, 11:42 AM
Again thanks for your help....I recently downloaded and installed SubsimHighResComb_11SP1.exe and this may have been a mistake. Now I'm back to German periscope! I hope I don’t sound greedy, but I'd like to ask you for a complete list of the order (you've already given me the first 4 progs and mods to run)
to install to get the best and most update version of Pacific Aces.
(and links to download whatever you suggest). If I need to go back and complete a higher donation level, no problem. Or maybe the 300MB SUBSIM SUPER CD is exactly what I need. Please advise me...the Pacific theatre is just what I've been looking for since SH1 !!
Thanks again,
Tim

Hitman
10-18-05, 01:50 PM
I recently downloaded and installed SubsimHighResComb_11SP1.exe and this may have been a mistake. Now I'm back to German periscope!

You only need that one for the stock SH2...it will give you german interfaces in 1024x768 for german subs. But Pacific Aces already did include the 1024x768 res mod, adapted for US subs :up:

To have the best out of PA you only need the four things I told you before, and in that order. You might install other optional mods specifically done for PA by some authors AFTER all the above, but that is just a matter of your personal taste. :) You can find some links at a sticky topic in this same forum or in the SH2/DC/oldies forum :know: [/quote]