PDA

View Full Version : LAN problem.

Fish
09-26-05, 10:21 AM
Out of nowhere, I get into all kinds of weird problems playing DW on my LAN (two PC's).
Most times the game hangs on both pc's during "Loading". Some times I see two players in one gameroom, none in the other, or two in one one in the other. Have to click on "wepaon loadout" before I can click "rdy".
Whe the game starts incidently, I see in one screen only one platform (there are three). And I have lag?
Shuting down firewall doesn't help?
Suggestions? :-?

The Avon Lady
09-26-05, 10:23 AM
Try the simplest thing first: replace your Ethernet cables.

Iceman
09-26-05, 11:02 AM
Are the computers setup dynamically or staticly?...shutting down the firewall sometimes won't do it either...you can set the firewall up to specifically allow the computers acces by the ip address you have assigned the computers...also in your router you can open specific ports....you would have to look into which ones your games likes to use I don't play DW...Google it or these sites may help ya some....

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/gaming_help.htm

http://www.speedguide.net/

Always a good idea ...power down of ALL devices is a good idea...and restarting in the order of modem/router/computers...try to go back to when the problem began....uninstalling of firewalls and or virus protections is only way sometimes....alot of possibilites....Operating systems etc..."I don't recomend uninstalling any virus protection or firewalls though"...I haven't found a game yet that I could not get going on a lan...except ones that were built bad in the first place for it.

Fish
09-26-05, 12:54 PM
Are the computers setup dynamically or staticly?...shutting down the firewall sometimes won't do it either...you can set the firewall up to specifically allow the computers acces by the ip address you have assigned the computers...also in your router you can open specific ports....you would have to look into which ones your games likes to use I don't play DW...Google it or these sites may help ya some....

Always a good idea ...power down of ALL devices is a good idea...and restarting in the order of modem/router/computers...try to go back to when the problem began....uninstalling of firewalls and or virus protections is only way sometimes....alot of possibilites....Operating systems etc..."I don't recomend uninstalling any virus protection or firewalls though"...I haven't found a game yet that I could not get going on a lan...except ones that were built bad in the first place for it.

dynamically or staticly?... I don't know/

I try the restarting.

Hellcat
09-26-05, 03:32 PM
I found the best way of setting up a network is using a dynamic ip address. I use a hub rather than a router for my network though, which is a bit easier to configure but does not have the same hardware blocking capibilities as a full blown router.

1) Make sure your ethernet card drivers are up to date and installed correctly. (I found this to be a particularily bad problem on my old Windows 98SE box)

2) Ensure that your Firewall/Router/ is not blocking any ports that you may in fact need for the game to function correctly.

3) What type of ethernet cards are you using 10mps? 10/100, gigabit?

May not be too big of a deal but what sorta computers are we looking at here, sometimes making the older computer the host helps since your forcing the newer computer to run closer to what the older system is capable of.

Iceman
09-26-05, 04:05 PM

I try the restarting.

DOH! :huh:

Fish
09-26-05, 04:23 PM

I try the restarting.

DOH! :huh:

Generally, I know the On and Off button on my PC. :up:

Hellcat
09-29-05, 10:02 AM
He did'nt mean to insult you fish, you usually do have to power down and restart routers in order to reset their connections. My old Rogers Cable modem needed to be powered down and restarted every couple of weeks, in order to keep it functioning.

Fish
09-29-05, 02:10 PM
Np, Hellcat. ;)

My excuse is it was late that night., because I know I have a static IP. :zzz:
I try every thing I could find but I still can't play. I also can't share files between both pc's.
Both have win xp.
I ran a a test program for the router, it give a all ok.
Restarting router didn't help. :damn:

Edit, I can, however, play multiplayer online from both pc's. And I see now, I can't share files either.

Hellcat
09-29-05, 03:43 PM
Well if you dont mind lets keep trying... I had a similar problem last month trying to get the computers to share a network printer. Turns out that our Norton Firewall (which is on the computer with the printer) was not allowing certain ip address's access to it.

The solution was to go into its configuration and allow internal ip's to log in... ie on a regular network your computers will be ip # 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2 and so on.

However now permissions may also have to be set on the router as well which can be access by typing its ip into the web browser which will bring up a prompt for user name and password... check your manual for the default login information.

Make sure that you enable file and print sharing while running the network setup wizard which is found in.
Control Panel> Network Connections> Setup a office or home network.
Make sure that both computers are on the same workgroup too.

One more check if you go to...
My Computer> My Network Places> View Workgroup Computers
At that point you should see the name of the computer you are using and if your computer can see anything else on the network and the workgroup name.

I'm really just taking shots in the dark here, I just want to hit every possible point... If your still stuck I'll make up a how to guide for a basic network with pictures similar to the modem tweaking guide on my website.

kiwi_2005
09-29-05, 06:34 PM
OK if your using a firewall turn it off theres no need for one if your playing a lan match. Disable it.

My network setup is an older way but never fails me. Its good for a 2 - 3 computer setup only. Theres no Hub needed, cos im using the BNC connector setup those PCI network cards that come with a small gadget at the end thats shaped like a T. the cables screw into the back of those. I have windows to automatically do the IP address etc., on both computers. I have firewall and virus software disabled. the computer that is hosting (mine) has the most ram. My network cards are only 10/100 which today are considered slow, but hosting a match this way SH3 and other games run perfect. One exception, if im playing a mission in SH3 that has planes in it, i do get slowdowns.

Iceman
09-29-05, 10:34 PM
If you install this protocol on both win xp computers you will be able to share files...ipx/net bios...I can share files on my computer...win xp pro and on both my kids computers...win xp and Win 98 only because of having this protocol installed on all of them.Granted you know all of the computers need to be part of the same workgroup etc....file/print sharing enabled...win xp specific sharing folders set....if you share the whole C drives at first ya may find it easier to get it going.

Fish
09-30-05, 10:21 AM
Thanks for all the support. To clarify (?) something: I play SC and later DW on both pc's with ZoneAlarm and windows firewal running, no problems, as I could share files.
My pc's are connect through a router, and multiplaying with others is no problem, from both pc's?
Something els, I try to ping my other pc, but when I click ok for ipconfig the DOS window vanisch direct after it becomes visible?

Ramius
09-30-05, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the support. To clarify (?) something: I play SC and later DW on both pc's with ZoneAlarm and windows firewal running, no problems, as I could share files.
My pc's are connect through a router, and multiplaying with others is no problem, from both pc's?
Something els, I try to ping my other pc, but when I click ok for ipconfig the DOS window vanisch direct after it becomes visible?

Im guessing your running that from the Xp run prompt ?

If so, type cmd to open up the dos box then ipconfig and it should work

Fish
10-01-05, 10:32 AM

Im guessing your running that from the Xp run prompt ?

If so, type cmd to open up the dos box then ipconfig and it should work

Thanks Ramius. :up:

Fish
10-03-05, 01:05 PM
I fixed the file sharing, but playing DW still doesn't work.
Today I reinstalled SC and you what..... no problem, playing host or client. :doh: