PDA

View Full Version : ivy bells and other bits n bobs

Kapitan
09-14-05, 03:06 PM
throughout the cold war americans put submarine right up to the coast of russia gathering inteligence and pictures on anything of value this often led submarine into places they shouldnt have been both sides flatly deny this even to this day.

one such submarine became nunanamous in the cold war she was the USS Halibut first concived to fire nuclear armed regulus missiles she was almost written off to scrap when dr john craven stepped and and saved her over the next year or so he converted halibut to perform special missions ive bells was one of them.

in 1968 halibut learnd that the soviets had lost a submarine now it was a race to find it.

the halibut won bringing back 22,000 picture of whats now known as the golf class SSB K129 which dissapeard under mysterious curcmstancies in the 60's, what is now known is that its plausible that K129 hd turned rouge and was preparing to fire missiles on the US at pearl harbour its plausible because she was over 300 miles off course.

just before halibut was finnishing up the soviets came they pummeled the halibut for two weeks with special depth charges but halibut refused to bite finaly the soviets left and the halibut returned home.

later in 1968 another ship glomar explorer set out to raise K129 but during the lift the massive arms on the claw gave way and 90% of K129 fell back to the seabed and this time for ever.
all that remained was the bow section and some 6 russian sailors bodys glomar explorer was set to retun the following year but the press soon discoverd the true story.

washington feared the worst but the responce from moscow was extrodinary if america would drop the story so would the USSR what the americans didnt know at the time was the soviet people including the familys of the sailors were never told only wen communism collapsed did they fond out.

another mission compromised was ivy bells a top seacret missions where submarines would lay wire taps on soviet communications cables recording soviet transmisions again halibut and new subs such as the USS Parche took up this role over time they placed taps after taps month after month untill.

john walker jr an american analyst working for the KGB compromised the tap, the soviets sent an all out search for it finaly finding it they didnt have to look very far to see where it had come from inscribed on many of the parts was

MADE IN THE U.S.A

After this event the soviets never again sent high level information through under water cables instead they encrypted them all with new codes.

john walker jr also informed the soviets that thier submarines were too noisey thus resulting in the ubrupt hault of the victor II SSN and thus began the Victor III SSN nicknamed the walker class

the soviets because they couldnt catch america in technology relied heavily on well placed spys also in the walker spy ring was his brother in law and his own son who was enlisted as a radio oparator on the USS nimitz

its got to be said the KGB could rival MI6 in terms of well placed spies but some of the things america done were shocking but it does show how much insecure they felt about the soviet threat [/b]

Oberon
09-14-05, 03:20 PM
I remember reading about that in 'Blind Mans Bluff'.
Good book. :)

Kapitan
09-14-05, 03:28 PM
i know i have it on tape some where

Iceman
09-14-05, 03:36 PM
Just googled john walker jr ...what a dirt bag traitor. :nope:

Kapitan
09-14-05, 03:37 PM
he helped the soviets so im not bias or unbias toward him yes he a traitor but i cant say anything and i aint going to

Type941
09-14-05, 04:21 PM
he's a traitor for america, and probably appriciated a lot in ussr at the time. I believe all these streamlined Alfas were indirectly a resuslt of his 'efforts'.

I can't find Blind Man's Bluff anywhere on shelves but I really want to read it. Iv'e seen a discover channel program on it, and it was very very interesting.

Kapitan
09-14-05, 04:23 PM
type 941 take a look on amazon they should have one

PeriscopeDepth
09-14-05, 04:31 PM
Walker should have been quartered.

Kapitan
09-14-05, 04:32 PM
how do you mean sliced and diced?

Type941
09-14-05, 04:50 PM
Walker should have been quartered.