PDA

View Full Version : L/A Weapon Mod 1.03 comments.

stormrider_sp
09-03-05, 11:37 AM
First of all I would like to say that I liked this mod very much.

I have a few comments about it.

I made a few tests using my 688i against some submarines.
The LF Pas Son is completly DEF. I just ran at 26knots into a Han sub, like a suicide attack, and it didn´t even detected me. Its the same sensor on the Trafalgar, and Akula 1, Victor III, Ohio, LA, and so on. WHAT THE ****... Why didn´t sonalyst took a little more time and created individual sensors?
That´s what I´m currently doing right now.
I created the BQQ-6 for the Ohio, gave the LA the BQQ-5D, Victor III with a Rubikon Sphere and Pithon TA...
Another thing. I made the same test against an Oscar II (with her brand new sensors - MGK503 and Pelamida TA). She detected me at about 5nm, and WTF, she launched a Stallion against me. Wouldnt it be better to just launch a 53cm? So I increased the minimun lauch distance so it would only launch beyond like 15nm.
worked fine but they´re still taking too long to detect and track me.

Another thing that I would like to do but I dont know how is to create an own class for my brand new Ohio SSGN, I tried but I got crazy errors... I don´t know how to create new platforms.
One last thing, I would like to mess with the TASM launches. I don´t know how can I change the number of missiles for each salvo, how to let my Ohio or Oscar launch at multiple tracks at same time and so on.... My Ohio can have nearly 80 TASM, so why don´t they just launch a huge salvo of like 10 missiles instead of launching 3, 3, 3...

Amizaur
09-03-05, 12:37 PM
Sonars were so far unaffected by this mod I think. Maybe in future versions... Individual sensors with correct parameters for each class is HUGE work and you probably would have to wait for DWX to get it.
Maybe good compromise would be to make few "classes" of sonars, like "Very old sonar" "average sonar" "modern sonar" and assing them to submarines like Han and Trafalgar.
As for managing weapons fire rate - in database editor there are values of fire rate but when I played with them it seemed like they wer... ignored by the game. The launcher I edited (RAM launcher on Harpers Ferry ship) was launching even two missiles at once, and avarage fire rate was also higher that set. Even when I made this launcher single tube reloadable I found it difficult to achieve needed fire rate by reload times. Something is screwed here I think...

stormrider_sp
09-03-05, 01:15 PM
I didnt say that the LF Pas Son was changed after L/A WS Mod, it never worked!

And regarding individual sensors, I don´t think thats a hell of a work. Many ships share the same sensors. The difference between them I believe that are the way the ship construction, reactor, engine affect the sensors. And it´s already there! Sound Levels, Mass, Thrust type...

LuftWolf
09-03-05, 05:30 PM
Thank you very much for downloading and using this mod, and for giving us some good feedback! :know: :up:

The sensor fix, both for torpedos and subs/ships, is a FAIR amount of work. Amizaur's idea is a solid way to fix the problem from a gameplay standpoint.

In general, I think we should look at tuning all passive sound levels down in addition to adjusting them relatively, to make all detections a bit harder, perhaps by a universal 5 points or so. :hmm:

Cheers

MaHuJa
09-04-05, 07:14 PM
Just make sure to avoid the problem I got with finiteless' mod.

I had my kilo nearly ramming a 688(i) running at 7 knots. I got a contact at 200 yds using the "new click cheat".

Amizaur
09-04-05, 09:04 PM
hehe so drastic changes are not planned I think :)

but you may expect soon beta versions of doctrine-only fixes:

- torpedos not detonating on CMs and
- AI units not sinking friendly and civilian surface ships with it's ASW torpedos :-)

stormrider_sp
09-04-05, 10:01 PM
Regarding the sound levels, i don´t have any technical knowledge or military experience to say, but in my opinion, the sound levels are already toooo low!
I just don´t think that a Han wouldn´t detect my 688i beyond 4nm... its way too close...do you want knife fights underwater?!?! lol

Regarding the Torpedos and CMs, I thought that modern torpedos didn´t detonate by contact, but instead, swin close enough to its target and let the "Blast Bubble" do the job. So, if a CM is the target, then th torpedo should detonate, yes.

correct if im wrong here.

Amizaur
09-05-05, 09:25 AM
Well... based on all I know, I'm afraid that you are wrong in both cases.

First, very modern submarines are VERY quiet when silenced. Subs like 688I, Akula2 and Seawolf are said to have detection ranges comparable to hull size under some conditions, tracking each other in peace time becomes dangerous because of collision hazard. US Navy admitted that when brand new Akula 2 subs slows down under 4kts, the 688I boat can't track it anymore - probably because detection range (at least by sphere sonar) becomes so small that any target maneuver can move it outside detection range and by the time you react by maneuver the target is gone and you don't know where to look for it. Fortunately for US noise level of new Akula is said to quicly elevate with time by several dB, probably because of lack of funds on proper maintenance.
So a Han with supposedly not the best sonars probably wouldn't detect you further than 500yds in real life if you were slow and quiet on 688I. And maybe even closer. Nobody knows for sure exact numbers, it is possible that ranges are not THAT close, but generally they are close between very modern subs.
On the other hand, old submarines are VERY noisy in comparison with modern ones, with good sonar can be tracked on tens of miles, and civilian surface ships are so noisy that you can detect them HUNDREDS of miles away sometimes. Just the noise levels scale is so wide - very noisy Supertanker is nearly 200dB when quietest subs may be around 120dB - it's 100.000.000 times quieter !!!
So between modern submarines knife fights are very probable... and many real submariners said that - long-range torpedo duels like in the game is fiction.

As for torpedo CMs, search here on the forum and you'll find some discussion about this issue. Generally everybody agree that torpedos are contact fused or triggered by magnetic influence fuse, BUT there is no dropped CM capable of generating magnetic field strong enaugh to detonate a torpedo fuse, only great mass of steel in form of submarine hull in proximity can do that.
And if someone supposed that enemy can have such CMs, I think he would simply disable magnetic fuse and leave only contact ones in his torpedos :-)

stormrider_sp
09-05-05, 01:09 PM
I didnt know it was due to MAD that the torps detonated, I thought it calculated the distance between him and its prey, and then detonate itself close enough.

stormrider_sp
09-05-05, 01:11 PM
I didnt know it was due to MAD that the torps detonated, I thought it calculated the distance between him and its prey, and then detonate itself close enough.