PDA

View Full Version : Thought I couldn't install DW

Syxx_Killer
08-28-05, 07:04 PM
Boy, that sure scared me. I had successfully installed the game when I got it, but when Windows crashed I lost it. I finally got around to reinstalling it. I put in disc 1, and I heard the normal CD spin-up sound. The installation, however, didn't get past the first file that needed to be copied. I heard the CD drive making clicking noises. I never heard that before on the computer. I have heard it on the PS2 when that drive took a dump. :-? :-? :-? I then got a message about some sort of cyclic redundency check. I clicked retry and it still wasn't working. I then tried to click cancel. Then I get a notification asking for disc 2. It was looking for the file on disc 2 (it was still 0% complete). That, of course, failed. I then ctrl + alt + deleted my way out of the installer. Once out, I rebooted the computer. I now got the game installed. I wonder what happened? Has anyone else experienced this? I sure hope there's nothing wrong with the discs. They are clean and worked fine before... Now the big question - is my DVD drive going on me? I only got it in March and it has worked perfectly since then. It is a Lite-On DVD+RW (w/ dual layer burning capabilities). I don't remember the exact model. Also, I updated the firmware back in March, shortly after I got it.

Captain cavitating !
08-31-05, 03:04 PM
I thought the discs went into the other drive not DVD

Syxx_Killer
08-31-05, 03:17 PM
My drive can read both DVDs and CDs.

Captain cavitating !
08-31-05, 03:21 PM
Sorry shipmate never come across on of them before LOL
I must lead too sheltered a life !

Syxx_Killer
08-31-05, 03:30 PM
Technology does change rapidly. It took me quite a while to catch up. :oops: :lol:

Zerogreat
08-31-05, 03:54 PM
I dont even remember a DVD drive that could not read CDs... i think it was implemented with such backward compatibility form teh very beginning :)

Captain cavitating !
08-31-05, 06:40 PM
Technology does change rapidly. It took me quite a while to catch up. :oops: :lol:
My PC is so old the instruction manual is written in Latin ! :roll:
Man the operating systems on DW !
TMA= Technofear :damn:
In multiplay I choose the Kilo and trundle around at 300 metres trying not to attract anybodys attention :up:

MaHuJa
09-01-05, 06:52 AM
I wonder what happened? Has anyone else experienced this? I sure hope there's nothing wrong with the discs. They are clean and worked fine before... Now the big question - is my DVD drive going on me?

I only got it in March and it has worked perfectly since then.

It is a Lite-On DVD+RW (w/ dual layer burning capabilities). I don't remember the exact model. Also, I updated the firmware back in March, shortly after I got it.

Possibly 832S - which is pretty much what I've crossflashed my 851SX into. I have the X version (external, usb2 connected) as the only drive in my system, and have used it for quite some time now without any problems at all.

It's possible the cause of the problem was a piece of dust in just the right spot, perhaps on the lens, but getting blown away.
In "the old wise book" from an old local tv show, the answer to "what was that sound?" was something along the lines of "Nothing. If you hear it again, see 'there it was again.' "
Not too applicable to sonar, I think it's good advice for this.