PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Anti-ship weaponry.

ReubenJames
08-26-05, 08:03 AM
I have been reading this board since I returned to the naval simulation community. I was reading one of the threads about Perry FFG. Any surface vessel naturally, is exposed to the threat of all sorts of Surface-2-Surface missiles. Some of them fly at sub-sonic some fly at supersonic speed. I wonder if a water wall would be an effective weapon?

By blasting off an explosive of some sort, a wall is raised to say 10ft above sea level. The massive water splash should be sufficient to burry the missile. Of course some great mathematics must be established to accomplish the goal.

Takeda Shingen
08-26-05, 08:11 AM
I'll take my CIWS over a water wall anyday.

Mercedes
08-27-05, 08:53 AM
The Americans have tested such a thing. I can't remember where it actually was, in land somewhere where they test their toys :) Anyway, it was done on a small lake where a missile flew low across it and they detonated a row of explosives to send up a wall of water in front of it. It worked. I suppose timing is everything.

Kapitan
08-27-05, 10:36 AM
hmmm SS-N-19

Takeda Shingen
08-27-05, 10:48 AM
hmmm SS-N-19

Jeez, are you always on?

Kapitan
08-27-05, 11:32 AM
my computer is left on 24 hours a day 365 days a year except when under maintinance when my laptop takes over and thats only for about 3 days tops

so yep im always on :D day or night

Takeda Shingen
08-27-05, 12:22 PM
That's not what I mean.

Kapitan
08-27-05, 12:23 PM
i not understand then ?

ReubenJames
08-29-05, 02:16 AM
SS-N-19 skims across the water surface but rises to a certain height before detonation. Sea Eagle also bears the same behaviour.

I come to this thought about a water wall when I recall the Tsunami in Asia last Christmas.

Kapitan
08-29-05, 06:34 AM
i have an idea why dont they splay out a rope with explosives and detonate as soon as missile is in range