PDA

View Full Version : One more question about realism...

08-24-05, 03:58 PM
Do the FFG's have Prairie Masker sound quieting systems modelled in game? If so, can you turn it on and off.
Also, the manual mentions someting about Jammers aboard the FFG. Is this true? If so, how do you turn them on/off?

One more thing, have you ever been playing the game and suddenly the screen turns into something like a TV show when the digital signal gets messed up? Like lots of tiny blocks appearing on the screen just before a massive crash.

Again, thank you for your help. I seems like I'm just going to have to turn down some of the graphical features for some of the other nuiances.

regards, mark

Fish
08-24-05, 04:19 PM
One more thing, have you ever been playing the game and suddenly the screen turns into something like a TV show when the digital signal gets messed up? Like lots of tiny blocks appearing on the screen just before a massive crash.

regards, mark

Never heard about or seen it.

Zerogreat
08-24-05, 05:32 PM
Do the FFG's have Prairie Masker sound quieting systems modelled in game? If so, can you turn it on and off.
Also, the manual mentions someting about Jammers aboard the FFG. Is this true? If so, how do you turn them on/off?

I say

No
No
and
No

:)

I think #3 could be a hardware problem, i was experienced things like this on my old Radeon 9000 PRO (which i sold long time ago to an unsuspecting victim :lol: )

LuftWolf
08-25-05, 02:33 AM
The Nixie towed torpedo decoy is a jammer and a decoy. :yep:

Zerogreat
08-25-05, 05:02 AM
The Nixie towed torpedo decoy is a jammer and a decoy. :yep:

I think Avatar probably means radar jammer... i remember this being discussed, that real OHP has radar jammer, but it is not simulated in DW .

OKO
08-25-05, 06:15 AM

As the OHP is one of the quiestest (if not THE quietest) surface plateform of DW, I should say yes, the FFG have a prairie masker in DW, but always turned on, and you can't turn it off.

The nixie is modelised, it's a deceiver, a torpedo decoy and not a jammer : NIXIE (http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/an-slq-25.htm)
Other decoys are chaff and flares, for missiles CM, and that's all modelised in DW, for the FFG.

LuftWolf
08-25-05, 12:10 PM
I mean an active torpedo "decoy" and a passive torpedo "jammer", to get technical on ya'll. ;)

OKO
08-25-05, 12:23 PM
well ... a jammer is something that prevent the ennemy to lock you, or give a false picture of you.
a decoy is a deceiver, making the weapon believe he lock a target when he lock a decoy.
So NIXIE is definitly a decoy and not a jammer ;)

LuftWolf
08-25-05, 12:27 PM
I was under the impression that, technically speaking, active torpedo CM's are called "decoys" and passive torpedo CM's are called "jammers", but, of course, I could be wrong.

In the game, the Nixie has both an active and passive signature, so I assume it works against both kinds of torpedos, contrary to what is commonly reported, as I seem to remember it being mentioned that the Nixie only worked against passive torpedos.

OKO
08-25-05, 12:37 PM
example of what could be a sea jammer : something downgrading the SNR.

The best example is what happen when there is underwater explosion => suddenly your sonar lost accuracy, everything is ... jammed on it.
As you can see, it's not as easy to jam SNR in the water than to jam electromagnetic beam in the air.
that's why there is no sea jammer (... to my knowledge ...)

NastyHyena
08-25-05, 01:00 PM
The Perry in DW does have the Sidekick ECM system, and it's effect is taken into account when missiles try to track the ship. Someone from SA said that a while ago.
EDIT: You cant control it though, the sim just takes it as a given that it's there.

You also, of course, have the chaff and flare launchers for use against missiles, and the Nixie for torps.

Anyone know why we dont have OTS countermeasures for torpedos? If they werent used iRL, thats a good enough answer for me.