PDA

View Full Version : Improving self SA while achieving obfuscation of enemy SA?

MarkShot
08-15-05, 03:05 PM
SA means Situational Awareness {common term from air combat}

In another thread I asked about dense contact environments ... Bellman reminded me of standard ACM (air combat maneuvering) tactics which is never to fly straight in a combat zone for more than 30 seconds.

Assume: Single-player, multiple contacts, sub versus sub(s), possibility that the enemy may ID you before you ID and/or get a solution on him, and game engines SC/DW ...

Question: What's the best way to build up your SA (situational awareness while frustrating the enemy's)? {reminder we are talking SP versus AI; not MP}

In terms of solutions, you can frustrate the AI's solutions by changing course and/or speed. However, I am thinking that perhaps changing speed is the better choice if you are doing manual TMA. Why? You (the player) can apply DEMON input and should be able to continue to improve your solutions. The AI on the other hand doesn't use DEMON and will not be able to determine whether your speed or course changed. Additionally, the way the AI performs TMA it attempts to get a "smoothed" solution when a perfect solution is not available. (a perfect solution should be impossible when the contact's speed is varying) Thus, this should force a certain amount of error into the AI's solution. {a human watching demon who already had a good solution could ignore older tick marks and just forward chain from the solution at T-2 to T+0 to solve a simple speed change}

Besides the above issues, speed changes do not put your own TA into a state of flux whereas course changes do.

So, am I right to assume that against the AI that speed changes are a better obfuscation technique than course changes?

Question: Against humans and/or the AI for the purpose of obfuscation are abrupt or gradual course changes more effective?

Previously, while playing SC I tend to make abrupt course changes. However, I recall in O'Kane's book "Clear the Bridge" when trying to frustrate potential attacks by enemy subs {unguided torps} besides zig-zagging along a base course, he would also order very gradual turns. I suppose that these where insidious, since to the eye the course appears straight, but there is enough of a turn to mess up solutions.

So, for SC/DW is there any value in very gradual turns of 1 degree rudder?

Thanks.

Bellman
08-16-05, 01:05 AM
Question: Against humans and/or the AI for the purpose of obfuscation are abrupt or gradual course changes more effective?

So, for SC/DW is there any value in very gradual turns of 1 degree rudder?

:) Against humans in MP...Wearing my new Akula hat ....I wish to strike the first blow from my stand-off position.
My aim is to take the tactical initiative by sending 2-3 Subrocks so forcing the target sub to run/cavitate(?) giving me
more info to refine and prepare the killer blow/s.

My sonar is not as precise as the SW's but I should have the targets bearing so I will welcome
''gradual' course or speed changes.'' While the target sub copes with my 'mortared' in missile torps
I will use several available techniques to improve my solution.
I have suffered this procedure many, many times when learning to dive the Seawolf. :lol:

IMO if you are going to bend the TA - do so to work up a better TMA solution by making a significant course change .
Speed up during the turn to get the TA straightened out quicker and thwart the oppositions calculations.

Bellman
08-16-05, 01:26 AM
:lol: I have just run DW with the LuftAmi Wpns and Sensors Database Mod and the changes introduced will
significantly change the balance of the game by undercutting the Akulas stealth in missile launching.

Now there are very significant transients upon missile launch and allegedley accompanying TIW's.

Too soon to judge the full impact of this on the balance of the game. However I think most 'hard-core' divers
will welcome this particular innovation as a great improvement . :up: :rock:

Thanks to both parties. :)