PDA

View Full Version : Mission testing

mjr_health
08-07-05, 04:58 AM
Has anyone else experienced problems with ships that wont move in the mission editor test function. I put in 5 ships. Spawn dates are all correct yet only 3 move. All speeds and waypoints are set. Got me intrigued ????

Gizzmoe
08-07-05, 05:21 AM
Does the mission work correctly when you play it? If you like send it to gizzmoe [at] gmx.de, I could test if it works on my system.

Krieg-Schwein
08-07-05, 01:11 PM
I have seen this just save it and try it the ships will usually move in the mission

Col7777
08-09-05, 12:34 AM
I too have had this problem, I had a commerce raider, I found it by sailing in the direction I placed it and there it was just sat there, I had another ship come sail in it's path, I thought it might start to move once it detected the other ship but it didn't.
When the other ship fired, it returned fire but still didn't move, it would have been nice to see it perhaps try evasive action, funny thing was they sank each other.

Col7777
08-10-05, 12:12 AM
Is there away to add a PATROL type order to a ship, I know I can add way-points but doesn't the ship stop when it reaches the last one?
If I/we can get the ship to keep going on a circuit then it will be moving and when it comes in to contact with the enemy it may take evasive and/or attack action.

Gizzmoe
08-10-05, 02:06 AM
Is there away to add a PATROL type order to a ship

Go to the Properties panel of the last waypoint, then you can specify a waypoint to go back to ("Loop To Waypoint"), it then makes an endless patrol.

Col7777
08-10-05, 06:27 AM
Gizzmoe, thanks I must have missed that.

FAdmiral
08-10-05, 09:49 AM
Yes. you can use the loop feature for any ship....

JIM

Col7777
08-10-05, 01:39 PM
Hi Jim,

Yes I must have overlooked that when playing around with the editor, I have the ships moving now.

CB..
08-11-05, 09:23 AM
here's something that's got my eye brows raised...open the scapa flow single mission and there's no ships written into it...just the player sub nowt else.....where's the rest of the mission stored? in the campaign files? i dunno....allso found a way to get the camera to follow the sub whilst submerged....put the camera directly behind the subs screws nad it gets sucked along with the uboat...don't ask me how...

Col7777
08-11-05, 10:32 AM
Hi CB,

Well spotted on the Scapa mission, I never noticed that either.

I got the view to follow the screws ok as you did, it is above the water I'm after, they say it is there after a patch but I'm running patch free at the moment.

Gizzmoe
08-11-05, 10:44 AM
where's the rest of the mission stored? in the campaign files?

Yes, more or less. The campaign engine is fully active when you play a single player mission, that means that you don´t need to place anything else in your missions except your own sub if you don´t want to. There´s always something around you...

CB..
08-11-05, 10:48 AM
same here Col- patch free, i'm sure it's possible to make it follow the boat with the external cam on the surface but i reckn it wont be toggle able ie it will be pernamently fixed on the boat...as it does follow all the ships that you toggle to as it is....some one has been able to understand the correct way to edit the cam files (seen a mod for something or another moving of the camera positions etc ) so with the right type of editor (hex editor?) and some practice it shouls be possible to copy the ship view entrys over to the external view section..again i dunno...i'm not even sure that once done (if posible) that after a while i might get fed up of it ..be nice to toggle it tho....not worth useing the patches tho IMO...my preference would be for some sort of control over the event cam....

a/to prevent it panning round the "event" so it gives a side on 3/4 view all the time...
b/to make it more sensitive to being triggerred..so on every DC drop it pops up...or even that it can be active all the time and centred on the uboat... only swopping views for torp impacts etc..i'm sure this could be done as it doesn't step outside it's normal functioning it only alters the parameters..doubt if i can do it tho...i'll have a go tho :hmm:

yes the scapa flow mission file is another one of those easily overlooked mysterys that have a tendency to become highly significant later on....just where are those ships stored? find them and i reckon there's gold in them there hills.. :up:

CB..
08-11-05, 10:51 AM
where's the rest of the mission stored? in the campaign files?

Yes, more or less. The campaign engine is fully active when you play a single player mission, that means that you don´t need to place anything else in your missions except your own sub if you don´t want to. There´s always something around you...

Cheers for the info Gizzmoe that's MIGHTY interesting....mighty interesting indeed!... :up:

Col7777
08-11-05, 12:02 PM
Ah! I've been playing single missions just using the sub, I knew the game generated them as I've found out but I didn't know where from, thought it was in one of those DAT files may be.

What does the RADIUS thingy do when you make it bigger round your sub and/or another ship?

Gizzmoe
08-11-05, 12:19 PM
Do you mean "Random Area Radius"? It randomizes the start area of a unit.

Col7777
08-11-05, 12:52 PM
Yes that's the one, thanks.

I've just been playing as a British Sub, I created the mission then altered the side/Nationality in the scripted file in SingleMissions.
I tried it against a German armed trawler, I let him spot me then he got closer and began firing. I dove and fed him a fish but he evaded, in fact he evaded all 3 of my torp's, I was using a IID type,
I eventually crept away, good job he didn't have DC's :)

CB..
08-11-05, 05:41 PM
dang it i wish UBI would release their modeling tools we could knock up a set of Brit subs in no time .i was going to ask if it was possible to play as an allied sub against german shipping thanks Col thats' cleared that up!

heck all we'd need to do would be edit the start point for the german sub bases to british ports as the campaign would still chugg the shipping round as per normal (hence the interest in the cross over from the single missions) there would be no real problems other than the start campaign graphic and map and other german specific detailing...easily changed in time..i'm in the mean time kinda thinking of a campaign in the type II's in the black sea late in the war....al i'd need to do is change the start location for the sub at Bergen and instead of being transfered to there you'd end up in the black sea....or possibly as an alternative in a type 9 at penang....

wonder allso if a player DD could be knocked up....we do have a basic active sonar available....and maybe those bolds could be modded to explode and sink giving crude depth charges....swopping the bridge and external model files for a destroyer might work with some intense scrutiny by the hex editing experts...the interior would look out of place but not completely off putting.....use the damage zones and damage points to render the dive planes/ballast tanks destroyed to prevent diving and perhaps a little bit of fun could be had driving a "DD" against subs..

Gizzmoe
08-12-05, 01:01 AM
CB, this is getting too off-topic, please be so kind and post mod-related topics in the Mod forum. Thanks! :up:

CB..
08-12-05, 04:54 AM
:D no worries

Spike
08-12-05, 06:30 PM
I have noticed something about the AI,spawn them at a space of 500 not 300 if in formation and you will have less problems w/them too.

Misosoup
11-13-10, 01:21 AM
Hi
I read some manual about mission editor,but there is no discription
about how to set the "Entry Date","Exit Date","Unit Version Date","Start Date
(In parameter settings)".
These factor usually cause error says"Player's unit Type IXD2#1 enters the game after mission start."or something like this.This error messeages
annoys me so much!how should i set these factors?Please give me a advice.
Thanks

PaulH513
11-13-10, 08:55 AM
The IXD2 enters the war February 1942 so your date in the parameters and your filter on the top of the Mission Editor must be Feb 42 or later.

You will get the same error message when you make a group if the lead ship enters the war in 38 and a ship you want to join that group enters the war in 41.

An example would be this:

Your map date is Jan 40 and the lead ship is a Large Troop which enters the war Jan 38 and a Empire ship enters the war Jan 40. You will get an error message.

To fix this edit the entry date of the Large Troop to Jan 40 and the Empire ship will then be able to join that group.

I hope this helps...

Misosoup
11-14-10, 02:21 AM
Thank you for advice!
That setting actually caused a error and i could fix it by following your
advice!
but...i cant understand the reason why official dev created such a
confusing rule.

Gargamel
11-14-10, 02:34 AM
Realism.

Without tweaking, you can't use ships that don't exist in the time setting you are using.

PaulH513
11-14-10, 11:19 AM
Also always run the map in the ME and if a ship does not move than there is a problem with the year/date of that unit. Unless you docked that ship of course.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/3937/lionking.jpg
By paulh513 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/paulh513) at 2010-11-14