PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel

stratege
08-05-05, 04:05 AM
Does snorkel really exist in the game ??

Have you ever used them ??

Nopileo
08-05-05, 04:16 AM
Yes and yes... :P

It becomes available sometime in 1943.

stratege
08-05-05, 05:47 AM
Thanks,

i am playing carrer in 1943.

SmokinTep
08-05-05, 06:54 AM
It is a must have later on in the war.

Duli
08-05-05, 07:07 AM
Yes, its really a must have. If you are playing a career in 43, you should buy it asap. I think it gets availible from June onwards or something like that.

stratege
08-05-05, 08:35 AM
I am actually on 12 march 1943 .... have to wait a few more month so....

Carcassonne
08-05-05, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind that when you have it and use it that you will need to be at periscope depth and not snorkel depth.

Fritz
08-05-05, 01:29 PM
remember, planes can spot snorkels on theire radars...so...ur not as invissible as u likt to be

Nightowl
08-05-05, 10:31 PM
Keep in mind that when you have it and use it that you will need to be at periscope depth and not snorkel depth.
Why can't you be at Snorkel depth, I thought that you had to be there to use the snorkel? What Gives? -Nightowl :88)

MonkeyHero
08-05-05, 11:05 PM
There's a bug where if you're at snorkel depth the game treats your visibility the same as if you were sitting on the surface. At periscope depth however the game treats your visibility properly and the snorkel will still work.

Nightowl
08-06-05, 07:24 AM
Thanks MonkeyHero, that's nice to know. I wasn't aware of that. -Nightowl

Godalmighty83
08-06-05, 08:51 AM
the only problem with the snorkel is that when their is a enemy plane in the air it can spot you from 500 miles away.

jeronimoh
08-06-05, 10:50 AM
There's a bug where if you're at snorkel depth the game treats your visibility the same as if you were sitting on the surface. At periscope depth however the game treats your visibility properly and the snorkel will still work.
THX for the WARNING too. Is it still the FACT in version 1.4b? Or it has never been updated?

Nopileo
08-06-05, 12:09 PM
I think it depends on the sub and the snorkel. For example I think for the XXI, it is the snorkel that gives out the huge signature, so using it is just like being on the surface... :o

At least I often use snorkel depth with the XXI, and I manage to sneak by ships and under planes unnoticed.

MonkeyHero
08-06-05, 11:25 PM
It might depend on the sub. The XXI probably has a deeper snorkel depth than earlier models. Keep in mind that radar will pick up the snorkel, but if you're at periscope depth at least the game won't let the AI just "see" you.

Nopileo
08-07-05, 06:30 AM
Yes, actually there is no point using the snorkel late in the war, since the late enemy radars will see it as clearly as if you were surfaced. The best thing to do is to go on the surface and let the radar detector do it's job (and not use the radar). When it detects radar signals, you can go down and scan with the hydrophones. If you don't hear a ship, it's plane.

But remember to use Jungman's SensorPak mod to get a more effective radar detector. This is from the readme:

This is a first try improvement to make your mostly worthless radar warning detectors up to historic values.
Indeed, it will help you detect those pesky airplanes long before they pounce on you, I hope. It will also
pick up any ships using radar. This needs to be tested. It maybe too good, or not enough.
place Sensors.dat in your Data/Library folder. And as usual, backup your original Sensors.dat file.

Metox: 4km range @ 15 sec sweep Old
Metox: 10km range @ 15 sec sweep New

Borkum: 5km range @ 15 sec sweep Old
Borkum: 15km range @ 10 sec sweep New

Naxos: 7.5km range @ 15 sec sweep Old
Naxos: 20km range @ 10 sec sweep New

Tunis: 10km range @ 15 sec sweep Old
Tunis: 25km range @ 5 sec sweep New

Mowgli
08-07-05, 05:04 PM
Any chance of a link to Jungmans Sensorpak please.
Been going nuts looking for it. Most likely under my nose.

Salute

Nopileo
08-07-05, 05:23 PM
Any chance of a link to Jungmans Sensorpak please.
Been going nuts looking for it. Most likely under my nose.

Salute

Yes, it is quite hard to find. Here is my reply to the very same question in another thread recently:

Where can I find this mod?

I thought it would be easy to find, but I had to search a while. The file is called 'sensorpak.zip', and includes much more that just the sonar fix.

Here is one reference from a post by Jungman:

Looky here, and try this out---contains the new Snorkel fix. Read about its proper usage so you do get caught with your snorkel hanging out in the open!

I stuck all these mods into a pak. Many share the same file. Contains Active Sonar Super Lock-On fix, DC blast reduction to 20 meters, Improved Radar Warning Detectors fix, Carrots for Longer Visual Range for Watch Crew, und die Schnorkel fix.

SensorPak

http://rapidshare.de/files/3448595/SensorPak.zip.html

EDIT: Updated to include the original SonarDC values with snorkel fix. You can chose between them.

So this includes the Sonar_DC-fix as well as the other fixes mentioned by Jungman.

This mod should be made more easily available somewhere (or be included in Jungman's signature). Hint hint... A truly must-have mod/fix, and much appreciated!

I sent a PM to Jungman earlier today to ask if he would consider creating a thread in the mods forum dedicated to his SensorPak. It would be so much easier to direct people to it then... :ping:

I hope he does, as this 'Pak' is the most useful file I've downloaded for SH3 so far, and it has made life in late war years a bit easier. Excellent work by Jungman.

lifer
08-07-05, 06:00 PM
Yes, actually there is no point using the snorkel late in the war, since the late enemy radars will see it as clearly as if you were surfaced...

You are right about the detection thing. The snorkel WILL give away your position if you're using it submerged. Still there is a way to put it to use.

I use the snorkel to accelerate my crash divings. When the snorkel becomes available I travel on the surface at a depth of 7m with my diving tanks flooded. I can use my "diesels" in "surface" style and as soon as I get radar contact I'll start diving. The extended snorkel allows my sub to use the "diesel" another 4-5 seconds before the e-engines kick in and I can gain depth very fast because I'm still traveling at "diesel" speed. We're talkin about diving times of 15 seconds or less to go to 25m. No airplane will get you this way...

pampanito
08-07-05, 06:33 PM
Just read Clay Blair's chapter on the August 1944 U-boat operations in the English Channel, it seems that more than one year after entering service the Schnorkel was still awfully faulty. Survivors from 3 different boats reported that poisonous fumes entered the submarine due to Schnorkel mis-functioning (I wonder how many boats sunk without survivors had the same problem). Another boat had to break-off her patrol because she was unable to retract the Schnorkel, even manually.

Mowgli
08-08-05, 02:30 AM
Thanks for that Nopileo.

I have not yet received radar but from what I have read, I want to be ready. Also enjoyed reading some of the ways to improve crash diving by running decks awash and using snorkel. Neat.

Good idea to PM Jungman and get him to link Sensorpak. If 43+ is that bad then a lot of people are going to be needing his pack.

Salute

Charos
08-08-05, 03:16 AM
Just read Clay Blair's chapter on the August 1944 U-boat operations in the English Channel, it seems that more than one year after entering service the Schnorkel was still awfully faulty. Survivors from 3 different boats reported that poisonous fumes entered the submarine due to Schnorkel mis-functioning (I wonder how many boats sunk without survivors had the same problem). Another boat had to break-off her patrol because she was unable to retract the Schnorkel, even manually.

The snort was unable to operate correctly in rough sea's as the diesels exhaust pressure could only overcome approx 0.5M of water above it when that increased to approx 1 Metre or more the back pressure on the exhaust forced the relief valves inside the boat to open and then the CO was dumped inside the boat until the outside pressure was reduced.

To reduce huge pressure fluctuations in the engine room the bulkhead hatch was left open to the rest of the boat this ensured the diesels could breath air from the boat without being starved while the snort dropped below the water line. This also ensured CO moved freely about the whole boat as well.

Nopileo
08-08-05, 05:39 AM
Thanks for that Nopileo.

I have not yet received radar but from what I have read, I want to be ready. Also enjoyed reading some of the ways to improve crash diving by running decks awash and using snorkel. Neat.

Good idea to PM Jungman and get him to link Sensorpak. If 43+ is that bad then a lot of people are going to be needing his pack.

Salute

You're welcome. And I agree that was a clever use of the snorkel by lifer to decrease dive time! :up:

I received a response from Jungman. He has not made a dedicated thread for the SensorPak yet, as he's still working on it, so that is good news. :yep:

fallenone
08-08-05, 06:10 AM
i read that if you used the Snorkel in the Real UBoats you couldn't travel faster than 6sm. In SH3 you could travel at AK :-)

Charos
08-08-05, 04:44 PM
i read that if you used the Snorkel in the Real UBoats you couldn't travel faster than 6sm. In SH3 you could travel at AK :-)

In a Type VII I think up to 8Knots was acceptable but less than that would have been normal.

From memory up to 13 Knots is possible BUT bad things start to happen - One thing from memory is some sort of resonance sets up with the periscope housing not to mention damage directly to the Snort in heavy seas and high speeds.

Probably 6Knots would be considered a nice top speed for Snorkel travel, much over that is fantasy land.