PDA

View Full Version : First warship and first ramming

Evil Duckie
08-04-05, 03:40 PM
Finished a nice patrol...

Out of Brest, January 1941. Type VIIB. Ordered to go to AM14. I'm a noob, so I play at 34% realism (hides in corner of shame)

On the outbound journey, a Tribal destroyer surprised me. It was as if it came out of nowhere, even though it was broad daylight and clear skies. I started taking damage all of a sudden... Turned towards it, went to periscope depth. It crossed in front of my bow at about 800 meters. Fired 2 torpedo's (separately, no salvo). First one a near miss, second one hit it in the bow. Went straight to the bottom.

Continued to my patrol grid. Encountered a trawler there. Didn't want to waste a torpedo, so I tried to use the gun. Seas were too rough. Got frustrated, tried to sail away. Damn thing was on a parallel course, about 1000 meters away from me. Flank speed, went towards it. Tried to ram it, just for the sake of it. Mind you, the Tribal had already brought my hull to 65%...

Hit the trawler in the stern. Started a fire and list, I sustained no damage. Tried to get around for a second ram, but it eventually sank.

Patrolled my grid for 48 hours, decided to head back home via the Irish coast. Night encounter with a C3, took 3 torpedo's. Continued along the coast. Night encounter with a C-class destroyer, evaded it.

Day encounter with another C3. Tried to set up for a stern tube attack as I was also getting 2 warship contacts a bit further out in the same direction, plus a plane in the general area. Scored one hit, which caused the C3 to stop and list. Didn't sink yet. This alarmed the two warships, which turned out to be Flower class corvettes. Started searching for me, in the wrong area. Decided to get back in and try to finish off the C3. Fired a torpedo each at the Flowers (at 2500m) and at the C3 (also 2500m). Scored a hit on one of the Flowers and on the C3, both sank. The plane and remaining flower depth charged me. I tried firing a second torpedo at the Flower, but it missed. Went deep, ran silent, played dead. It was at 16:00 anyway, so it'd be dark in 2 hours. Eventually got rid of the pursuit, surfaced. Decided to go flank speed to Brest, as I was almost out of torpedo's (had 2 left). Encountered a lone coastal merchant, so I sank that one as well.

20000 tons in shipping, 1 promotion, 1 Iron Cross, 4 U-boat clasps and 1 U-boat war badge for my crew.

:arrgh!:

Carcassonne
08-04-05, 03:44 PM
Congrats, respectable patrol.

I will say this, you may be at 34% but each new career move that figure up and you'll find that each new career will add immense value to the game.

I played my first career at 51%. I just started my second career and am at 60% now and just those few percentage points have created a much different game. The 9% equates to limited fuel and no event camera.

Ula Jolly
08-04-05, 04:11 PM
Sounds verreh nice! Myself, I didn't find out how to use awards till my seventh patrol. :oops:

Evil Duckie
08-05-05, 02:16 AM
That's my plan. Up the realism on my next campaign and try again.

Shame I didn't get credits for the trawler though... :(