PDA

View Full Version : How to launch torpedos without "Locking" onto a ta

jason210
08-03-05, 10:00 PM
I tried launching one of those acoustic torpedo's today, from a depth of 20m, in the general direction of the warship sound contact; but I couldn't fire it. The button refused to go green. I turned the computer to manual entry too.

How do you do it?

Stymnus
08-03-05, 10:10 PM
I've never been unable to fire a torpedo, in fact sometimes I fire them when there's not a ship anywhere in sight (Darned Enter key!) :(

And yes, I know it can be remapped, I just haven't..

Only thing I can think of is you didn't have a solution set...?

jason210
08-03-05, 10:15 PM
Only thing I can think of is you didn't have a solution set...?

Well, I set the depth, speed and gyro angle. What more is there?

Sarge McSarge
08-03-05, 10:26 PM
Are you too deep?

Average Joe
08-04-05, 12:25 AM
I tried launching one of those acoustic torpedo's today, from a depth of 20m, in the general direction of the warship sound contact; but I couldn't fire it. The button refused to go green. I turned the computer to manual entry too.

How do you do it?

Make sure you have your periscope up a bit (see some water), and facing the 'general vicinity' of your target. Don't dive lower than 19-meters. They should launch then. If not i don't know why.

All subs limit torpedo-launches to 20-meters in the submerine .cfg files, except XXI which is 50-meters...

...which is wrong(!). It's really 19 and 49 meters :)

jason210
08-04-05, 04:46 AM
Ah ok, thanks. Proabably I was slightly over the 20m limit then.

capt_frank
08-04-05, 06:20 AM
yesterday as i was leaving the empty port of alexandria, i blindly launched two homers from the astern in the general direction of the gaggle of detroyers patroling the (again) empty port. like has been said, turning the periscope in the general direction of the target is one of the keys; i wasn't aware of the depth regs though.

was fun watching the homers hunt and search for targets on the tdc...the brits lost a destroyer and had no clue where it came from.... :arrgh!:

SmokinTep
08-04-05, 06:38 AM
:lol: I've done that before. Like was stated earlier, you have to be no deeper than 19 m.

Stymnus
08-04-05, 09:30 AM
I'd bet there's no such limitation for if you're on the surface, because you've got a 360 view with your watch crew, right?