PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned; return to base

Wolfram
08-02-05, 08:54 AM
Learned the hard way that BDU does not like its boats returning without permission or torpedoes...

OMG you returned with torpedos?! I am sure some of you will say I am foolish or even wimpy but my boat had been clipped by a coastal merchant in bad weather - so I knew she was damaged pretty bad & flooding would have us crushed by depth if not for the shallows to rest upon.

So I returned to base.

For making the logical call my 14,351 tonnes was given 0, nada, no renown and yes I had completed the mission and waited three days in the grid - more than required.

It is sad that the AI BDU has no heart nor soul - I saved the crew and salvaged a boat & completed my mission; my reward was zero.

:damn:

Oh well I will remember next time to waste the eels and request permission formally to RTB.

:arrgh!:

SmokinTep
08-02-05, 08:57 AM
Strange. I thought you would have at least recieved the renown for the patrol area.

Wolfram
08-02-05, 09:01 AM
Aye I thought it strange too - I have never done that before so it was a surprise. Certain I did not hit any neutral or friendly ships - before the storm was a few days of fair weather and had plunked only ships whose flags I could positively ID as British....

Live and Learn

DerKaleun
08-02-05, 11:41 AM
Did you return to the port really or did you select the feature in Mid Sea ? I noticed that once, as I called the option once in Mid sea due to game time shortage (sometimes girlfriends can be annoying ;) ) and there was no renown - for 40k of Tonnage...

Karl you can kiss my B..... go outhere yourself and deliver these frickin faulty eels with your own hand! :nope:

Duncan Idaho
08-02-05, 12:01 PM
It's a bug. Here's a tip: Before you dock at port, or return to base if you don't like to actually travel to your base, SAVE your game one last time. If you get in base and ever spot you are only getting 0 renown and/or it's not showing that you sunk anything, reload your save, and return to base again.

It happened to me once, and I've always made a save before docking at my port, so it saved my butt. It's a buglet of some kind. I've returned to base on occasion with half a load of torps due to an odd slowdown that seems to happen to me on occasion if I spend too much time in the English Channel, and I've never been harassed or had my renown ripped off for it. (In fact, I got promoted to Lt. Commander last time I rtb'd due to that odd slowdown).

So you won't get penalized. You can check this by returning to base anytime after making even 1 kill, (or heck, zero kills but do your 24 hour patrol, you'll get your renown).

Wolfram
08-02-05, 12:03 PM
Did you return to the port really....?

RTB - Aye I did even conserving fuel limping back to Wilhelmshaven and taking it literally to dock - even heard the port music playing as I drifted into the pen - the very same pen I had left 19 days earlier....

No it was very disturbing to realize that my placing the lives of my crew & the integrity of my boat above two torpedos was considered insubordination of some sort.

I had returned with a badly damaged hull - I think 73% and two eels - I never radio reported and got the RTB message reply....I just showed up in Wilhelmshaven...

:lurk:

Wolfram
08-02-05, 12:06 PM
Ah I see a buglet....

Aye- Aye Duncon Idaho (btw a good name & great character of Dune :) )

TY for the advisement sir.

save-save-save Aye- Aye

:lurk:

tycho102
08-02-05, 12:14 PM
Does everyone send plenty of contact and patrol reports?

I find the contact reports increase my nav-map updates. I get far more contacts whenever I routinely send contact reports. And it seems like my crew get more experience when I send in patrol reports.

Wolfram
08-02-05, 12:17 PM
Does everyone send plenty of contact and patrol reports?

I find the contact reports increase my nav-map updates. I get far more contacts whenever I routinely send contact reports. And it seems like my crew get more experience when I send in patrol reports.

:hmm: Every contact report gets me a visit from nasty little Hurricanes lately... :o

DerKaleun
08-02-05, 06:47 PM
Again the Question. Contact Reports = Convoy Sightings ? Not single merchants/DD´s right ?

Wolfram
08-03-05, 08:58 AM
Again the Question. Contact Reports = Convoy Sightings ? Not single merchants/DD´s right ?

As far as I have experienced the answer would be yes = Convoy Sighting, still nets me a visit depending on location (if within airspace) from the RAF/RNAS.

Have Fun!