PDA

View Full Version : Air raid on Lorient

thecaptain
08-01-05, 12:56 PM
May 1, 1944
The U-123 had just departed the docks at Lorient. I ordered all ahead one/third and the boat began to work it's way through the narrow portion of the harbor. Suddenly, the watch yelled word of incoming aircraft, but they were still too far away to tell if they were friendlies. The booms from anti-aircraft guns erupting from ships in the harbor soon answered that question as a wave of B-24 Liberators flew overhead. The harbor was too shallow to dive for cover and it was too late to make a hasty escape to the protective cover of the sub pens. We'd have to fight this one out. I ordered flak gunners to take their stations and they quickly got in place to join the fight. Pillars of water erupted around the boat as bomb tried to hit their mark.
Several of the B-24's were easily visible as searchlights from destroyers in the harbor beamed into the sky. Flak was everywhere. Some found their mark. One, then two of the bombers were struck by multiple hits, orange flame pouring from their engines. Both began to angle earthward and eventually smashed into the water below. Then all was quiet as the stragglers headed back toward England. The boat had caught a near miss, suffering only minor damage that was quickly attended to. U-123 resumed course and continued toward the Atlantic to resume patrol.

I'm sure many of you have had some incredible moments like this, but I just had to share it with all of you as an incredible example of how amazing this game is, made all the better by all the wonderful modders who have done so much to enhance it.

Duncan Idaho
08-01-05, 01:21 PM
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was pretty exciting! I've not had anything like that happen yet, but I have hopes! (I do hope I survive!).

thecaptain
08-01-05, 01:30 PM
I do to. But being at the stage of the war that is, the destroyers have gotten quite good. I fear that somewhere out there is a depth charge or hedgehog with my name on it. The U-123 is well equipped with the latest electronics and countermeasures (radar, radar warning and Bold.) Time will tell.

Salvadoreno
08-01-05, 01:46 PM
what mods? ive never been attacked at habor.. then again i never gotten to 1944

thecaptain
08-01-05, 02:03 PM
I'm using elements from the Airpower mod along with a portion of another mod, which I can't recall the name of right now. They basically make it so that you don't jumped by wave after wave of planes as the war progresses. You still get plenty of air contact, but it's now kept in perspective. The wave of 24's hitting the docks was a surprise, though.

Duli
08-01-05, 03:55 PM
Nice reading. I didnt had anything like that in my carrers.