PDA

View Full Version : okeley dokely...taking the plunge..

CB..
07-25-05, 08:28 AM
:D
have ordered a reconditioned PIIII 3.00 (aint buying new PC's again they have too quicker redundancy rate)

and ordered SHIII

did UBI come thru on their idea of providing a 3d modelling editor/creator conversion tool?

Gammel
07-25-05, 08:47 AM
:sunny:

I see a light at the end of the tunnel...

Zachstar
07-25-05, 08:48 AM
No they did not but they did mention theyd like models in the sticky topic in modding.

Do you model?

CB..
07-25-05, 09:07 AM
yes i can model (aircraft scenery for flight simulators etc in G-max) tho i'm merely an enthusiastic amatuer not an expert...i can make reasonable models...

from scanning around it doesn't look much like UBi did provide the modelling and or 3D conversion tools they promised (or at least they were saying that they were going to provide)

i'm sure Sergbuto is on the case tho with the old hex edit boogie!!
but it sure would make life interesting to open the sim up to the inclusion of unique imported models...

Shadow9216
07-25-05, 09:51 AM
There's a thread here http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40399, maybe you could assist us?

CB..
07-25-05, 11:07 AM
:o yikes lol looks a bit deep for me!!!
hex editing allways brings me out in a rash..the guys look like they are way in advance of anything i could help with..tho i do expect to create some hopefully usefull mods once i get the game and have gotten familiar with it over the months....it's dissapointing tho that UBI have backed off on their stance of providing the community with everything it needed to import new models in to the sim...(remember their talk?...tho they did do the campaign side so can't grumble overly much..but just wish they would realise the potentail of their own simulator given the ability to import usermade models..endless...hope they remember their promises on day and relent on their secret squirell approach to new model additions...)

sergbuto
07-25-05, 11:39 AM
It is good to have you back, CB. :) I hope you will "disassemble" SH3 into pieces and anticipate nice mods coming from you. As to 3D stuff, lurbz did a good job in making a 3D exporter from the DAT files. Only one step left is to import the stuff back which should not be that difficult for someone who knows C# and based on the source code by lurbz.

Egan
07-25-05, 12:35 PM
have ordered a reconditioned PIIII 3.00 (aint buying new PC's again they have too quicker redundancy rate)

and ordered SHIII

did UBI come thru on their idea of providing a 3d modelling editor/creator conversion tool?

HEYYY!!!! :up:

He's back! Where the heck have you been, young man?

There are a few tools that us modders have knocked up....And a few interesting projects that would sure be happy to have your input in!

macstu23
07-25-05, 12:39 PM
Haven't seen you around in a long while CB..welcome to SH3. :up:

Egan
07-25-05, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, If your interested. Iblitz, Von and Myself are currently back in biz - (well, Iblitz and Von are. I really just hang around and hope I don't get rumbled..... :rotfl: )

Wolves at War (http://www.wolvesatwar.com/index.htm) is the new hang out.

CB..
07-25-05, 02:15 PM
Cheers Guys! thanks for the welcome back!! i fancy a shot at that weather system at some point lol!!!

am waiting on the arrival of the "new" pc and will be itching to take a look at SH3 as soon as possible...one question just how much should i be worried about this Starforce malarky?

joea
07-25-05, 02:19 PM
Welcome back. You'll love SH3, and probably find stuff that drives you crazy too. ;) SF, sigh, no problems here (knocks wood), just be careful to what it could do to your DVD drive. What model is it?

Would love to see what you can do with the weather.

CB..
07-25-05, 02:52 PM
the PC will (if it arrives as spec)
a Emachines 8230 INTEL PENTIUM 4 530 HT 3.0GHZ

DV-rom drive and a DVD multiformat rewriter...dunno if that is any help?

in you experience (taking for granted in hope that it will install allright and ot eat the dvd drive) should this sort of spec run the sim reasonably well?

yes i ve read a little about the weather it seems it's entirely randomise which is no bad thing but it would be betetr if it could be localised somewhat to give areas of high probabilit of poor weather or clear weather shame they didn't include a more detailed weather system with tactical weather reports so you could plan an attack to co-incide with poor visability pre radar anyway..

maybe it might be worth comparing the weather files pre patch and post patch as folks say it has been changed ..examining the differences between the two weather files should throw some light on it (if the files are accesible and legible by human brains lol!!) if not then maybe some trickery can be performed with other settings -no idea will have a look once i'm settled with it all..for example if visability is set up seperately from the normal weather system then poor weather can be replicated with low visability etc..i dunno

joea
07-25-05, 03:21 PM
Should work great. :up: Much better than my old system which still runs SH well...make sure you get a decent modern card old nvidia cards are not supported (as I found out) and lots of RAM. But then sure you would know.

Like I said, no probs for me, and I have a combo Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-332B, and still copies and all...but I'd think you better off to run the sim only in the dv-rom drive if you can.

CB..
07-25-05, 05:13 PM
ok cheers Joea...has to be said that any game company is asking a lot of people if there's even a minute risk of their security software ruining very expensive computers ..counter productive it's starting to get to the point where installing one game can actually render the playing of other games impossible....one or two games i've tried recently have knocked my Flight simulator 2002 installation out of whack..and ive had to make a choice between running the flight simulator with glitches or uninstalling the other game ...hope-fully SH3 won't cause any issues...that would be a tough decision!

CB..
07-25-05, 06:11 PM
oh hell..just read thru all the threads regarding starforce and dvd drives etc.....no no no..i'm not destroying a computer for the sake of game....even if it is only a slight risk..i have ordered the game when it arrves i shall take the disks out of the box scratch them to heck (in case i get tempted lol) then throw the thing in the bin...sorry guys false alarm guesse im not going to be joining the flottilla.... :damn: :nope: :oops:

Zachstar
07-25-05, 06:22 PM
When I got my 3.2 ghz ht pc with a very badass dvd burner I had to make a choice.

My hope was if it failed then I whould contact UBI thu soul

Thankfully it hasnt failed but if it did there would be hell to pay!

Give it a try :up: If it fails then ubi will got another pissed person reporting the same horrors of starforce.

I highly doubt starforce will be in any future ubisoft game.

NZ_Wanderer
07-25-05, 06:29 PM
You "could" always just use the version (1.0) straight out of the box along with that thing I not allowed to mention, seems there are several around here that do that.. - That way the Star**** isn't installed on your system..
Then you wouldn't have to scratch your brand new disks...

joea
07-26-05, 05:25 AM
oh hell..just read thru all the threads regarding starforce and dvd drives etc.....no no no..i'm not destroying a computer for the sake of game....even if it is only a slight risk..i have ordered the game when it arrves i shall take the disks out of the box scratch them to heck (in case i get tempted lol) then throw the thing in the bin...sorry guys false alarm guesse im not going to be joining the flottilla.... :damn: :nope: :oops:

Don't do that CB....you are overreacting!!!! :roll: I dislike the whole SF thing but think there is a lot of hysteria around the issue. The folks who didn't have problems did not post after all. Please reconsider...you'll be missing out on a great sim and us on another talented modder.

CB..
07-26-05, 07:52 AM
cheers Guys!
well i'm sat here my reconditioned P4 3 ghz is all set up and whirring away to it-self..as yet SH3 hasn't dropped thru the letter box so i'm reading what ever i can find about this starforce issue...i have followed up on NZ's info and scanned around for the variuos bits n bobs to try that option...(out of respect for the obvious distaste for these things wont mention what and where tho in this case i believe it to be within perfect reasonto consider this option regardless of any misgivings surrounding the subject)

i dunno...the computer specs tell me the DVD rom rwriter drive runs Nero software- which doesn't make me feel any better as Nero was listed around the sites i visited as one of the set ups most affected by starforce.. :ping:
no idea what to do...i could get the game tommorrow install it and find ive knackered my "new" pc within 24 hours of recieving it lol..that's not a fun idea...seems to me that the starforce softe ware isnt going to prevent the big pirating syndicates from copying and selling the game in places like China etc...it will only stop the small "car-bootsale" types..whereas if it affects only half of one percent of normal legitimate customers it will as likely as not create fewer legitimate (long term) sales than it it prevents pirated copys lol..

think what i'll do is wait a while and see if i can get as much info as possible before decide-ing what to do..it's a game i shouldn't even have to be thinking about it...if they can't create a system of security protection for software etc then they should not lumber the end user with the possible problems that software creates....as some one said a 230 quid dvd-rom drive versus a 40 quid game...no contest..

i'm a sad bunny right now.. :damn:

Gammel
07-26-05, 08:25 AM
Hi CB,

don´t worry about that starforce thing too much.
I´m not a starforce fan at all, but have to say it hasn`t caused any trouble to me and my PC.
I have an up-to-date machine and i use nero + DVD emulation software.
Nero and DVD emulation soft had been installed AFTER sh3 (+starforce).
I doubt that starforce is able to to do damage to your hardware. Perhaps it will wreck your OS installation. :-j
If you are WinXP user (I´m not) you should set a system restore point before installation of the first game that uses starforce copy protection.

CB..
07-26-05, 08:49 AM
cheers Gammel..i'm still trying to get "ofay" with windows XP..lol after windows ME it seems a bit of a pain in the ass lol..im sure i'll get used to it...now to find that system restore point just in case.. :oops:

Gammel
07-26-05, 12:50 PM
Can`t tell you much about the system restore feature of XP, i use win2k.
Maybe this link is helpful:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
07-26-05, 03:10 PM
hey CB... you're gonna luv it... :up:

ps there's a starforce removal util around here somewhere, but sf gets reinstalled everytime you run SH3...

it's a pain... but not a showstopper... the game is definitely worth the aggravation...

--Mike

Vader 1
07-26-05, 03:31 PM
CB
Great to see you back, I too am waiting to upgrade my rig to handle SH3 , but still play SH2 due to your great mods(reduced TDC still rocks)
There are some great talents here you'll be impressed. :up: Well back to the sidelines to watch
Vader

CB..
07-26-05, 04:28 PM
cheers guys!! sussed the back up/restore procedure (nice one gammel!!)
(does anyone know what the heck "BigFix" is? seems to come as standard with XP and ive no idea what it's supposed to be doing lol)

Cheers Mike i'll get the SF removal tool and keep fingers crossed..

and Cheers vader!! thanks for the positive feedback on the TDC mod...if there's anything there on my site you stiil need i suggest getting it soon and backing it up on a cd or something as i'm getting some very odd vibes from my web space provider (he's a Flight sim dude who runs a server or two ) and im not sure how much longer i want to be using his service..

well tommorrow im guessing SH3 will arrive thru the post and it'll be decision time lol!! :ping: :hmm:

Vader 1
07-26-05, 09:45 PM
Have everything you every made for SH2 on disk, thanks for the heads up. good luck with the mailman :yep:
Vader

Gammel
07-27-05, 11:49 AM
no sighn of life from CB?
Maybe starforce has wrecked his machine :-j
or he has dived deep into the game...

CB..
07-27-05, 02:29 PM
He He! nope no sign of the postman lol

CB..
07-28-05, 06:20 AM
:arrgh!: :ping: :o :D :-j
it be here it be!!!
etc...well it installed ok (in the end there are so few long term immersive games around that it is worth the risk...) accepted the cd key first time thru (must have been lucky on that one..) came with a nice manual and the map...keyboard charts etc..
so in it went and off i go......straight into Wilm's harbour wall ..lol ended my first career in true embarrasing first trip out fashion...try again arrh this time the moons out now i can see lol!!! (will remember the route for next time tho)

so at sea heading for AN56.....

what can you say....amazing

running on version one of the game no patches to see how it goes..so far no graphical or other glitches at all..(ATI card)

PLEASE tell me the save game function works correctly...i really don't want to have to treat the lack of a working reliable save game function as a bl**dy realism option (as in SH2) when im dead im dead ..mean-time i want to be able to play and continue my career as and when time/mood permits.....now my neighbours can go back to wondering why i spend hours staring at the waves doing absolutely nothing with a contented smile on my face....gawd bless subsims..there's nothing else that do this!! :up:

at the mo i haven't even checked to see if the dvd burer still works ...and right now i don't want to know lol :smug:

Gammel
07-28-05, 07:25 AM
Good to hear all went well.
You like the graphics? Me too. It was like a dream come true to me
i saw it first time. I bought a new pc just for that game. Nothing to eat now, but who care´s?!

If you have a powerfull enough card and haven´t done already, try switching on antialiasing.
It`s not a game option. You will have to turn it on in your driver settings.

I had no broken savegame until now, but think it`s
a wise decision to make frequently backups of your
/my Documents/SH3 folder, if you´re on a career.
All userdata is stored there not in the game folder.
Also don´t save/reload with heavy traffic around your sub. Seems that the ai doesn´t like that.
Possible a bug, but not confirmed so far.

rulle34
07-28-05, 07:44 AM
If you have a powerfull enough card and haven´t done already, try switching on antialiasing.
It`s not a game option. You will have to turn it on in your driver settings.

Hello Gammel!
Can you explain this for me a little bit more. How do you turn antialiasing on in the driver settings?? I will for sure try this.
(P4, 3,4GHz, 1 GB RAM, Radeon X800 PE. I think the computer will make it.)

Best wishes
Rulle

Gammel
07-28-05, 08:38 AM
I use a tool to easy switch it on and off.

Once installed, right klick on the tray symbol, go to "Direct3d =>Antialiasing" and select 4x.

You can get "Ati tray tool" here: (homepage)
http://www.radeon2.ru/atitray/

In general i´m not a fan of tray applications, but this tool is a must for
ati-users. I would call it stable and there should be no problem on de-installing if you don´t like it (you will like it, i promise)
After installation there will be an fps display in the top right corner of the screen if you start a game or play video. Good for testing, but if you want to switch it off (Neverwinternights f.e. doesn´t like it) go to "tools and options => OSD and remove the first marker"

The tool has also options for overclocking your card. Please don´t do it!! Great chance of wrecking your hardware. During installation you will be asked to exclude overclocking options. Just say yes here.

If you are strict against such tools (like i was before) :)
you can switch AA in your ati driver settings. Hard to explain for me , cause i use a german win2k, and you prob. an english winXP. My bad english doesn´t make it easier. I´ll try:
1. Right klick on your desktop
2. A menue appears, left klick on properties
3. A window appears, you know it, you can change screensaver and desktop stuff here.
4. In the top right corner click on settings
5. In the low right corner click on additional settings
6. A new window appears, click on "3D" at the top right corner
7. I´m stuck now, don´t know how to explain further, my english is too bad. Perhaps you use the net-framework version of the ati-driver (there a 2 versions of the newer ati drivers, one with net and one without) and i don´t .

I suggest to use the tool, it´s safe and easy to use.

Gammel
07-28-05, 08:53 AM
A screenshot without AA
http://img92.echo.cx/img92/6060/30jt.jpg

And here´s one with AA on
http://img79.exs.cx/img79/5731/deckgun29nj.jpg

oops, there´s an error on the 2. picture. Found it? :-j

Bad examples, i know. But i havn´t found better pics.
AA removes that "staircase" effect. Some games have an option for it, some like sh3 don´t.

Floater
07-28-05, 09:11 AM
CB!!!

It's great to see you here, mate. I hope you enjoy SH3 - it's amazing stuff.

For anyone that doesn't know, CB was probably the most imaginative modder in the SH2 world, and is a lot more clued-up than he admits. I've never known anyone with such a powerful lateral-thinking technique, and he's a hard and determined worker too. It really is great to see him in the SH3 world.

Oh, and BigFix? I don't think it comes with XP - maybe someone installed it on your system. It's an app that runs in the background and monitors the net for various software fixes applicable to your system, prompts you when new versions come out, and installs them if you want. It's freeware.

CB..
07-28-05, 09:11 AM
ok beat you to it on the anti alaising makes a world of difference (for a long winded way to the graphics cards settings right click on the desktop select properties then settings then advanced that should take you to your graphics cards options..

meantime sigh after a good few hours patroling my zone i came across a ship (i didn't really have time to see it ) but alas the game crashed and the pc auto restarted....some thing to do with realtek audio drivers according to the report....i reckon the ship spotted message may have caused the crash tho i didn't get chance to hear it...dang it....will need to mess about here it seems..or is this soemthing adressed by the patches?

Gammel
07-28-05, 10:08 AM
For anyone that doesn't know, CB was probably the most imaginative modder in the SH2 world, and is a lot more clued-up than he admits. I've never known anyone with such a powerful lateral-thinking technique, and he's a hard and determined worker too. It really is great to see him in the SH3 world.
It´s a big pleasure (honour) to talk to you here CB, i enjoyed every single of your posts in the sh2 forum, but just as a reader. I also used your mods (their´re still on my hd). Blaim it on my broken english if havn´t found the right words to talk to you. It´s great you are here.

Ugh..your game crashes? Yes, there was a solution offered with turning down the hardware acceleration with the tool "dxdiag" but i don´t believe it will work. Perhaps it´s worth a try. I also use realtek onboard sound (alc850, nforce4 board), hardware acceleration is set to max and i havn´t had not a single crash with the game.
Do you have some kind of memory testing software? Best i know is memtest86, wich is delivered with linux distributions.
Here is a link:
ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo/releases/x86/2005.0/installcd/install-x86-minimal-2005.0.iso
Burn to cd, reboot with cd in drive, when there is "boot" displayed type "memtest86" and let it run 2 or 3 hours...Watch for errors.
So you wrote your machine is new, hardware failure may be a possibility. There is an option in winXP to control the behavior in case of a fatal crash (like your´s was. Application crash should be just a CTD). Your's look like a driver or hardware failure..
Right click on "my computer, klick properties =>extended options or something =>start and reboot. There is a marker wich controls the behavior in case of a crash. Remove it and the famous Bluescreen will appear when the pc is crashing. With the marker set it will just reboot like yours. The bluescreen can give you important information about the cause of the crash.
Good luck CB. You will fix the error.

joea
07-28-05, 10:58 AM
You should patch up to 1.4 in any case CB...welcome to the addict's club. :know:

rulle34
07-28-05, 12:43 PM
Big thanks Gammel and CB for tips and help!
I have the "ATI Catlyst Control Center installed" so I opened it and there I could find settings for antialaising. I tried on 4x and it was like buying a new grafics-card :P
I couldn't believ it would make such a difference.

I have now put settings for 6x. Looks great so far. Is there any problems with 6x instead for 4x as you recommended Gammel?

I was playing SH 2 a lot before but was not so good at modding, but I can see that you CB are some authority in this so I take the opprtunity to welcome you too

On thing about CTD. I run SH 3 patch 1.4, and have it quite heavy modded. I have also "tweaked" some mods to just suit me. Its very stable and almost never CTD. The only time I have had CTD's is when you are fiddeling with soundfiles, it have to be in mono. Another is when changing the Campaign_RND (or SCR).files. And start in harbour after a savegame! Otherwise it should be stabile!

This is my experience. I hope I didn't "brake any known doors" cos I guess you already knows about this, but anyway!

Ps. Gammel; your english is not bad at all!

/Rulle

SteamWake
07-28-05, 01:33 PM
Yea I agree you should go ahead and patch up to 1.4b.

Just read the fix list for the reasons why :P

Just make sure your in port and un modded when you do. :know:

CB..
07-28-05, 06:09 PM
:oops: Cheers Floater and guys many thanks for the praise !! :oops: :D

i've set the hardware exceleration for the sound to basic and ran a few missions and so far it has been ok...only other issue i stumbled across was after clicking on the stern tube in the crew management screen for the IIB the task bar vanished lol...so i had the game full screen with no icon bar etc along the bottom..looked much better but not very practicle...i reloaded the save and it solved it ...other than that things are going ok (im sure they'll be more trouble ahead but with every-ones help i hope it will all get sorted out bit by bit) only mod i've added so far is to reduce the volume of the diesel engines (after an hour the row gets on my nerves and i prefer to listen to the waves ! )

on my fourth mission and still haven't sunk anything (lol-- :oops: :D )
had a huge chase and cat and mouse game with a lone merchant which after an hour or two and a belly full of torps- only one hit- which turned out to be a good thing as it turned out to be neutral lol many apologies all round...

going to sit with the unpatched game for a while longer and do some more reading round the forum for info ..
Floater!! have you gotten up-graded for SH3 are you able to run the game now? have you had a look at the in game editor and got any plans at all?
you skills are worth a tanker of renown !!!

the crew management sytem is very intrigue-ing it is kind of annoying yet at the same time it is great...bity like UBi have taken a hand full of "baldurs gate" and sprinkled it into a subsim lol...really broadens the gameplay ..even if it is a bit frustrating to use..(well at the start of a career anyway before the crew get "hardened up")

cheers again for all the advice guys all read and noted manythanks!...
:arrgh!:

Floater
07-28-05, 07:46 PM
CB, you can toggle the bottom menu on and off by pressing the "." (dot) key on the numeric keypad. Maybe you hit that by accident?

And no, I've no plans to develop any software for SH3. Kriegstanz was fun, but I'd rather concentrate on something else for now. I've had a quick look at the SH3 mission editor, and I've heard of problems with it, but I just don't want to go down the Kriegstanz route all over again.

And yes, I've got a new PC that runs SH3 very well indeed (Starforce problems aside). Guess what the was the first thing I did when it arrived? Installed SH3. Not looked back.

Gammel: many thanks for the tips about anti-aliasing. I've just installed the app you linked to, set AA to 4x, and the difference is amazing, particularly in water reflections. I'd like to see what reply anyone gives to rull34's post about increasing it further. ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (512MB) here.

Gammel
07-29-05, 01:19 AM
Good morning!

try the 6x setting if you like but for me it didn´t make much improvement compared to 4x. Also my videocard is on the edge of good performance with 4x. My game is heavily modded (I use almost all improved skin mods, better smoke etc).
When i leave port i have around 20 fps.
Switch to 6x and check performance maybe your card can handle it.

Another quality improvment setting is "anisotropic texture filtering", also accessable with the tool. Change it to "8x + quality" and do some testing. But it´s not such a booster like AA.
Don´t forget to set both back to default (application controlled) if you want to play another game, some games have their own options for AA and that anisotropic stuff.

Have to go to the dentist now, ugh :lol:

CB..
07-29-05, 02:12 AM
CB, you can toggle the bottom menu on and off by pressing the "." (dot) key on the numeric keypad. Maybe you hit that by accident?

:oops: :oops: :up:

FAdmiral
07-29-05, 03:57 PM
CB is back !!! Good News !! Now we can finally get a good
working resupply system in SH3.....

JIM

FUBAR295
07-29-05, 07:03 PM
CB,

Really good to see you around and with SH3. :D :D :D

FAdmiral stole my words right from my mouth ....err , fingers. :lol: Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR

Col7777
07-29-05, 08:55 PM
Hi CB,

Seeing you back makes me want to reinstall this sim again, even if it is just to add/see some of your great mods.
:)

FUBAR295
07-29-05, 09:46 PM
Col7777,

Looks like old bunch has come to roost here, first CB and now you! I see a lot of old and familar names here in this thread. You, CB, Floater, FAdmiral... whos next?

Anyway, glad to see! Now back to the regularly schedule program.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR

Floater
07-29-05, 10:27 PM
Yes, this is a kind of reunion, isn't it? Welcome to both Col and Fubar, people I'm also very glad to see around here.

(Apologies if you've already been around for a while - I don't read all the threads.)

lafeeverted
07-30-05, 08:41 AM
Still waiting for the new PC, should be ordered in the next week or so, then I will hopefully join in the fun as well. SH3 has been taunting me from my desk unable to be loaded on my dated system!

Kentrat
07-31-05, 03:28 PM
Welcome CB, there's so many old names hereabouts, hope the new system is running well; I had no problems with Starfarce myself, in fact the only problem installing anything occurred coincidentally last night trying to install Just Flights British Airports compo of East and Southeast England and got the 'detection of DVD emulation software' nonsense. Paid a fiver for it at CEX, and unless I can work out a way of installing it without removing anything else (legally bought and owned ) then I'll be onto Just Flight first thing tomorrow... Blooody Cheek innit?

Anyway,

Have fun

Kentrat

CB..
07-31-05, 10:30 PM
:D wow bit of a gathering here!!...well i'm still going with plan A here ..sticking with version one of the game have ran the starforce removal tool and and the "un-mentionable"...and have to say other than one or two minor touches i can't find a dang thing wrong with the game lol!! (dunno why they did the sound in mono tho ?) other than the fact i'm too scared to go to the captain' bunk as the sonar and radio guys look like extras from a 1950's horror movie..lol "i vant to drink your blood!!"
i've given them full beards and will only go in there with a clove of garlic tied round my neck..
only thing that occurs to me on the modding front so far is to make use of the music option (and this has probably allready been spotted)
the stock music when enabled actually is programed to change when in game events occur..and is randomised in and additional fashion within those events...so in battle one of two or three pieces of music will play etc..there's music for tension etc...
no reason why the music files couldn't be replaced with appropiate sound effects and ambient clanks footsteps clips from Das boot etc etc..the jist being that here you have a way to have dynamic and randomised changing ambients sounds that react to in game situations ..see the music.cfg file for details
not checked to see if it allready been done.(i'm coming in cold here)

no milch cow eh? as Vic and Bob would say "why?" WHY?"

what a game !! it's definitely a bit of a life eater !! i'm on my 11th patrol and it feels like a really nice combination of RPG simulation which coupled with the amazing graphics and endless little touches is exactly the sort of game computers were made for..worth every penny of the 300 od quid i paid for my "new" reconditioned PIV

addendum lol..on the enhanced realism front (yawn) the only real major change that could be implemented to double the realism in real terms would be to reduce the renown points for reaching patrol zones and time spent in that zone and increae the renown points recieved for actually returning to base in game (instead of returning to base via the escape menu)...cos this affects just about every thing that you then have to do in mission. from fuel conservation to fatigue etc etc etc..(tho this again may have allready been done lol)
i'm not a die hard realism fan so it's not something i'll be doing for myself...each patrol quite happily takes 3 or 4 hours even with returning to base via the escape menu...quite enough realism for the likes of me that!!...the save game seems to work ok even tho it doesn't display the tonnage on the save info screen, it does display correctly on the in base end patrol info..

but for economy of effort in a realism mod simply swopping the renown points for returning to base with the renown points for the patrol zone (and perhaps lowering the renown points awarded for tonnage) would radically alter the strategy needed to progress...not to mention the additional possibility of being attacked on the journey home etc..
so crank up the reward points for a genuine return to base and lower all the others and you have instant hard-core difficulty

joea
08-01-05, 01:14 AM
You really ought to come up to 1.4, and try a few of your fellow modders tweaks. Radiolog is one great mod., improved convoys another, just off the top of my head.

Col7777
08-01-05, 03:04 AM
I know what you mean about the creepy looking crew CB, when I'm playing SH my daughter always says she doesn't like looking at those men. :)

I think I saw a post where someone did new faces for them but I'm not 100% sure.

With reference to the music, I did used to have it on but it slowly got on my nerves so now I don't, but your idea of changing it for different sounds might work.

CB..
08-01-05, 03:55 AM
Hi Col!!
yes on the sonar and radio guys they're definitely Boris Karlof and Bela Legugi! :huh: :huh: "your going to go to sleep...?! --"you may never ...never ..wake up...wuhahaha wuhahaa haaha---oh and there's a small merchant of the port bow captain" :arrgh!:

scares theheck outta me especailly as the sub interior allreadys has an ever so slightly spooky atmosphere to it...which is a good thing very "Resident Evil" (dunno if you've ever played that game) so small things start to spook you out...in the middle of a depth charge attack i was in the control room turned round and the weapons officer had freaked out..he was standing bolt upright with his arms spread out which meant his hand was about an inch away from my "face" as i turned round ..i allmost jumped out of my skin..i replaced him with another officer and thankfully it didnt happen again lol..

glad the Devs went for a flexible atmosphere rather than the normal straight up and down WW2 atmosphere of similar sims..
it is a little bit RPG ,a little bit survival horror and i've no doubt there are other touches aswell..

i'm sticking to V1 for the long term i think...no starforce and no dvd in the drive..going to have to play it for a long time before i can start to appreciate what bits might be modded to suit my tastes etc..who knows what surprises i might miss by modding the game too early..
cheers guys!!

Col7777
08-01-05, 06:03 AM
I'm a bit the same, the only mod I have added is the fatigue, I don't need to keep changing them around. At first I didn't mind too much but after a while it got on my nerves, I just pretend they are being relieved and it is done by one of my officers.

SmokinTep
08-01-05, 08:17 AM
I use the smoke mod and bow spray/stern wake mod.

Floater
08-01-05, 08:46 AM
CB: Great idea about the music mod. Footsteps, people coughing, chattering, etc - that would really add to the immersion.

Regarding Starforce, it's a bad thing, of course. My problem is that I can't burn DVDs any more - although I can burn CDs. I suppose I'll just have to remove SF every time I want to backup my data, then let SH3 reinstall the damned thing. :x

Col: Which fatigue mod are you using? I've just started a new career, and I'm back to putting the little people in their bunks again (late in a career, they're resilient enough for it not to be a problem), which is getting to be a royal pain.

Hey, this is just like the old days of SH2! Great to see you guys around. :D

Col7777
08-01-05, 12:19 PM
Hi John,

I got this from a guy next door (hoarmurath) in the mods section, I tried it and it works great, I never need to change the crew around, they stay 100% all the time:

http://www.subsim.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=40830

It is the only mod I'm using at the moment, by the way they can get killed if the going gets tough. :cry:

Egan
08-01-05, 01:04 PM
no milch cow eh? as Vic and Bob would say "why?" WHY?"

Given the amount of discusion that has appeared around here on that subject I woul have to counter with a very Vic and Bob:

"You wouldn't let it LIE!"