PDA

View Full Version : Stop the damned engine!

Ula Jolly
07-23-05, 07:05 PM
I'm not really sure how submarines work when it comes to this, but if I order "Stop the engine", CAN WE PLEASE TURN IT OFF? :stare:
I want to nail my helmsman to the spinning prop so maybe HE can muffle its sounds, because no matter what vessel, in no matter what seastate, the engine will NEVER stop running. :damn:
Something for 1.02, perhaps? :hmm:

TLAM Strike
07-23-05, 07:15 PM
Some subs keep the prop spinning even when stopped to continue lubing the shaft and to prevent leaking around the shaft seal.

Ula Jolly
07-23-05, 07:23 PM
How about the noise? If they want a halt - yet to spin the prop - it can't be very fast, and the noise must be minimal. I want a minimal passive signature, but have no way to obtain one.

diver
07-23-05, 09:55 PM
How about the noise? If they want a halt - yet to spin the prop - it can't be very fast, and the noise must be minimal. I want a minimal passive signature, but have no way to obtain one.

Depending on the class of sub, they may be able to change the angle of the screw blades to ensure that there is no forward motion and minimal or no cavitation. spinning at such slow speeds and with the screw in this configuration would be as good as having the screw not moving. In DW when all stopped passive signiture is no problem i find.

kgsuarez
07-23-05, 10:40 PM
The screw is an animation. It has nothing to do with the sound you are emitting.

Being all stop is not going to make a difference if you are trying to be quiet. The sub still has the reactor running to power the generator so you can have electricity for all the systems on board.

Kapitan
07-24-05, 11:39 AM
if say an oscar class submarine stops her screw then water comes in through the shaft this is what killed the men of the kursk or one factor of it

it well know that the oscars have to have special clamps to put on the shaft when the screws do not turn otherwise you would end up flooding the place same with DW i think just going on with real world knowlage

kgsuarez
07-24-05, 03:48 PM
I doubt that DW models anything like that.

The reason for the never stopping screw is simple. SCS didn't think that anyone would want to stop their sub, so they didn't bother modeling anything like this.

None of the (playable) subs in this game have any business stopping... Well, that's how I feel about it at least.

Kapitan
07-24-05, 04:05 PM
im forever stopping my sub thats all i do stop start stop start i need to stop my sub dont fancy going head on to a ice burg etc that and i also stop to hide and on sea floor sometimes

Caseck
07-24-05, 04:08 PM
Is he talking RADIATED NOISE, as in the sound/speed fix? Or is he just talking the noise you hear from sub's crew positions?

Kapitan
07-24-05, 04:12 PM
who what eh ? who talking to who? quotes please

Ula Jolly
07-24-05, 04:38 PM
"He" is talking about a fluctuating sound that sounds bubbly, much the one one has when MOVING. :-j Try placing a Trafalgar to your 90 deg running at 3, and at an equal distance, to your 270, a Trafalgar standing still. Isn't the difference in noise very, very little?

Kapitan
07-24-05, 04:47 PM
hmmm yeah that is true

Ula Jolly
07-24-05, 05:59 PM
Four characters:

1 . 0 2
:know:

Kapitan
07-24-05, 06:02 PM
is 1.02 out yet?

Ula Jolly
07-24-05, 06:19 PM
Nope. That's why we can continue to make suggestions. :up:

Kapitan
07-24-05, 06:28 PM
whats taking them so long like waiting for the slow death

TLAM Strike
07-24-05, 06:50 PM
Most of their DW staff is working on military projects right now from what I heard.

Oberon
07-25-05, 07:21 AM
I think RL nukes can disengage the prop but to be honest you'd still have the steam noises from the reactor so it wouldn't make much difference. D/Es would probably benefit from it though...but then there's the lube problem as mentioned earlier in this thread.
:doh:

northfromhere
07-26-05, 07:02 AM
I dont know about nuclear subs, but, when an diesel is all stop thats what it is. Main engine not running. Smaller motors are used for slower speeds. The shaft seal is usually pressurized with oil.

mike_espo
07-26-05, 07:58 AM
Most of their DW staff is working on military projects right now from what I heard.

Are we being left out to dry?? :cry:

Ula Jolly
07-26-05, 08:09 AM

What an ironic thing to do to a sub community. :up:

Bellman
07-26-05, 08:42 AM
:lol: But nobody understands irony do they ? Like this morning it was pouring with rain - so we say 'lovely day' :yep:
Say it to an overseas visitor though and the response is WW3. :damn:

TLAM Strike
07-26-05, 10:15 AM

Are we being left out to dry?? :cry: Well I would say we are being left out until we're less damp. Sales were not as high as expected but I think SHIII and no retail store sales had something to do with that. If more people buy the game more patches and hopefully add-ons we will get- but right now SCS needs to pay the bills.

Jamie
07-26-05, 11:01 AM

We are currently exploring additional means of distribution (to complement the on-line direct sales (www.battlefront.com/products/dw/order.html)) so that we can hopefully infuse some additional funding that can help us revive the DW support process. We're pretty excited about the proposals we have already, so please don't give up hope just yet. :cool:

- Jamie

Ula Jolly
07-26-05, 11:15 AM

We are currently exploring additional means of distribution (to complement the on-line direct sales (www.battlefront.com/products/dw/order.html)) so that we can hopefully infuse some additional funding that can help us revive the DW support process. We're pretty excited about the proposals we have already, so please don't give up hope just yet. :cool:

- Jamie
:o

Did I just hear....
this sounded...
positive?

It cannnot be! :huh:
Kilo commanders are born cynical and/or careful, but I allow myself a "YAY! :arrgh!:"!

Kapitan
07-26-05, 05:30 PM
im an akula skipper im more careful than most i hope :D

Duncan Idaho
08-01-05, 12:26 AM

- Jamie

This is great news! Of all my friends, I'm the only one who purchases anything online. Most of my friends would love this game, but they'd never get a chance at a copy simply cause with all the 'computer insecurity' going on these days, they don't trust online commerce.

Can't blame them, either, as being the tech of the bunch, I'm the one who's constantly being called on by my friends to remove their latest batches of spyware and such. (Hey, they let their kids use the PC, you just KNOW it'll get loaded up in a weeks time).

I think getting this title onto some store shelves would be a great boost to it's sales, as well as perhaps awakening a new lot of Naval Simulator fans.

As for me, this game is mine! I shall be buying it online next Wednesday to compliment my copy of SH3, and to let me do some MODERN sub warfare, which I'm REALLY looking forward to... Haven't played with a modern sub since SSN-21 Seawolf, an old game for sure!

Bellman
08-01-05, 01:16 AM
:D Excellent news Jamie.

Compared to SC, this game invites in the general player - you have broadened its market appeal. I am confident it will sell well. :up:

Dont forget to maximise your existing user base - discount voucher/s will provide
recommendation/Xmas and Birthday gift purchases from us. (The 'silent' majority) ;)

Good hunting. :rock:

Stewy
08-01-05, 04:22 PM
infuse some additional funding that can help us revive the DW support process

It's great to see some good news on the forums! :rock:

Let's hope the process is successful! :up:

XabbaRus
08-02-05, 10:26 AM
However does this not mean that the patch won't be coming for some time?

Kapitan
08-02-05, 10:33 AM
hope it does come out soon

Jamie
08-03-05, 10:44 AM
However does this not mean that the patch won't be coming for some time?

No it will expedite the patch process, because we want to have a period of time where you guys can put v1.02 through its paces and ensure its stability and effect on game balancing if (and when) we release it to retail shelves.

So you guys will be EXTREMELY important and will help tremendously in that capacity.

XabbaRus
08-03-05, 11:22 AM
Ah, that is good news...

I just hope that some money will be spent on getting gaming magazines to publicise DW coming out in the shops.

Oh Jamie I think it would be a good idea if you also contacted the BBC news website as they review games and sims and this would reach a lot of people. I tried but they said thanks for the news and then it sank.

Also get in touch with Warships magazine as they might run a feature. A lot of the flight magazines review PC Flight Simulators so it might have some mileage.

Stewy
08-03-05, 04:34 PM
Maybe some ad space in the USNI Magazine too? :know: