PDA

View Full Version : Docking at another port

Grifter808
07-22-05, 02:20 PM
Does your patrol end if you dock at another port? Or do you get a reload of torpedoes to your boat? I've never tried it, and I was just wondering what would happen.

wetgoat
07-22-05, 05:16 PM
You can resupply and rearm , but you're patrol won't be over till you go back to your home port, because you can't be awarded medals, promotions, ect... untill you do. Also when you start to leave the resupply port , you will discover that the game will not assign you a patrol area.

gollum31548
07-22-05, 05:20 PM
You can resupply and rearm , but you're patrol won't be over till you go back to your home port, because you can't be awarded medals, promotions, ect... untill you do. Also when you start to leave the resupply port , you will discover that the game will not assign you a patrol area.

How does that work ? Say its Dec 1940 and I am based in Brest but like to hunt convoys in AM53. Can I duck into Bergen once it turns blue for an endless supply of eels and diesel fuel without having to go all the way back to Brest ?

That would be sweet :up:

Grifter808
07-22-05, 05:37 PM

Wow, I never knew this. So it's better to complete your patrol area before heading to a resupply port then, so you'll get your renown?

Adolf Sunkendork
07-22-05, 05:48 PM
You can resupply and rearm , but you're patrol won't be over till you go back to your home port, because you can't be awarded medals, promotions, ect

I tried to dock at both neutral and friendly bases and saw no way to rearm. I pulled into the keys both head first and stern first and and even came to a complete stop - I hit the escape to see if I had a new option to reload, but nothing. I tried everything I could think of - even taking care to stop under the cranes, but I don't think that it is possible to replace spent eels unless you dock at base. Am I missing something?

As a cross-eyed skipper, I sure could use a fresh supply of fish in my stores every now and again!!!

wetgoat
07-22-05, 05:50 PM
Yes, you have to complete your patrol AND return to your home port in order to collect medals, promotions, new qualifications, and renown. Besides, BDU might not understand if you never came home!

von Buelow
07-22-05, 05:55 PM
wetgoat, not sure I follow... you can or cannot rearm in an "other-than-home" port

Adolf Sunkendork
07-22-05, 06:01 PM
can or cannot rearm in an "other-than-home" port

Not to put words in wetgoat's mouth - but, unless I am missing something, I believe that the answer is "No - You have to dock at base in order to resupply".

Carcassonne
07-22-05, 06:42 PM
I know Adolf Sunkendork personally and I can vouch that he's tried everything attempting dock and replenish eels, fuel, etc.

And btw, his name is very appropriate! :-j

Grifter808
07-22-05, 06:48 PM
can or cannot rearm in an "other-than-home" port

Not to put words in wetgoat's mouth - but, unless I am missing something, I believe that the answer is "No - You have to dock at base in order to resupply".

Wait, ok so you can't rearm unless you're at your home port, right? Isn't that the same as ending a patrol?

Or can you run out of torps during a patrol, go back and rearm at your home port, and then go back out to sea and complete your assigned patrol grid?

wetgoat
07-22-05, 07:25 PM
OK, Here's the deal, I transfered to a different homeport. Saved game. Got drunk! Loaded game,fogot transfer, returned to WRONG port. Was able to rearm and refuel, but could not collect medals , promotions, ect... Then when I tried to get a new mission it just said location grid ''null'',which means if you don't go back where you belong, you don't get a new mission or much of anything else! I figured out what I had done wrong after I cursed SH3 for what I thought was some bug I'd never heard of, and then reinstalled the game! My only problem was to much beer! This concludes eyerything that I know on resupply! As you can imagine, I no longer drink and dive!

Grifter808
07-22-05, 07:44 PM
Drink and dive, LOL, nice! :rotfl:

Sawdust
07-22-05, 07:45 PM
To clear things up.

Yes, you can resupply at a non-home port. Just get close to the port, hit ESC and choose "Dock at: <portname>"

You will enter your "office", and you can do some stuff, but not everything (e.g., you can't upgrade your U-boat). But, when you go back to sea you will have all torpedoes reloaded, all gun ammo reloaded, your U-boat will be fully repaired, and you will have been refueled.

When you do this, your new "mission" will be to go to your home port and the grid to which you are assigned will be "NULL"

This can be a convenient option if you are near a friendly port and your home port is far away.

Grifter808
07-22-05, 07:48 PM
To clear things up.

Yes, you can resupply at a non-home port. Just get close to the port, hit ESC and choose "Dock at: <portname>"

You will enter your "office", and you can do some stuff, but not everything (e.g., you can't upgrade your U-boat). But, when you go back to sea you will have all torpedoes reloaded, all gun ammo reloaded, your U-boat will be fully repaired, and you will have been refueled.

When you do this, your new "mission" will be to go to your home port and the grid to which you are assigned will be "NULL"

This can be a convenient option if you are near a friendly port and your home port is far away.

Thanks for clearing it up. After reading this, it sounds like you can sink an insane amount of tonnage before returning to your home port, huh.

wetgoat
07-22-05, 08:39 PM
Wouldn't BDU begin to wonder why you and your crew never came home! I am by no means a realism nut,(no offense to anyone who likes Sh3 hardcore-to each his own), but this sounds pretty wierd and unrealistic. You would become something akin to Captain Ahab chasing Moby Dick all over the place. You would probably be well thought of by your crew as well ! I can here it now... Watch officer shouts to crew down below''Damn, the CO has slipped and fallen overboard. Plot a course for home''!

Duncan Idaho
07-22-05, 09:03 PM
Wouldn't BDU begin to wonder why you and your crew never came home!

Well, other than the fact you have a radio on your sub, (and I have always assumed that at times the radioman talks with others). Also, when you dock at a port other than your home port, your office has a phone, so even if your radioman wasn't doing his job, you surely would have called in to say 'Hello' to your commanders. ;)

Just my thoughts.

Sawdust
07-22-05, 09:29 PM
As far as role-playing the realism... When you dock at a non-home port, it is still a German navy port. BdU could still send you information and you would still have to do a lot of Kriegsmarine paperwork. :)
You'd pr'y have to sign for torpedoes and fuel costs, all being charged back to your Flotilla.

So, it's not like you've gone AWOL or all "Heart of Darkness" on the navy! :P

btaft
07-22-05, 09:29 PM
So by resupplying at a different port does this mean you can effectively continue your patrol indefinitely and rack up all sorts of medals based on tonnage etc?

yankee-V
07-22-05, 10:36 PM
You must dock at a German controlled port that has facilities for U-Boats. Right? I went to Willhelmshaven when I was based at Kiel and refuled - reloaded. This was after getting pounced in the North Sea and wasting my eels (all five in a Type IIA :roll:). It saved a lot of transit time, and got me some renown in the long run.

I don't know if you can sail into Gdansk, or Bergen for instance and get fuel and torps on demand.

von Buelow
07-22-05, 11:44 PM
thx for the clearing up! sounds like renown can get nicely racked up this way!

Adolf Sunkendork
07-23-05, 12:34 PM
To clear things up.

I just ran a test of the method above and found that when I went back to check the save, the patrol was incremented by 1. So, if you were on patrol 1 and stopped by a friendly port to top off - when you leave the non-home port, you are on patrol 2. Doesn't this mean patrol 1 ended?

I thought I had tried this before, but it to me it seemed that I botched patrol 1 by not returning to home port. I suppose thats why I saw this as a non-option. Do you think this a valid way to proceed? This method doesn't exactly follow orders, IMHO... What are your thoughts? :hmm:

Grifter808
07-23-05, 02:01 PM
By the way, has anybody tried the MilkCow mod?

JoachimV
07-23-05, 02:06 PM
no never tried it, is it good?

Floater
07-23-05, 05:20 PM
I just ran a test of the method above and found that when I went back to check the save, the patrol was incremented by 1. So, if you were on patrol 1 and stopped by a friendly port to top off - when you leave the non-home port, you are on patrol 2. Doesn't this mean patrol 1 ended?

I thought I had tried this before, but it to me it seemed that I botched patrol 1 by not returning to home port. I suppose thats why I saw this as a non-option. Do you think this a valid way to proceed? This method doesn't exactly follow orders, IMHO... What are your thoughts? :hmm:
Don't worry - patrol numbers are just numbers. Going to a friendly port to resupply is fine - IMO, the best thing to do then is head straight for your home port to pick up your new patrol. Doesn't matter what number it is; you'll get your renown from having a patrol area to visit, then returning to base.

Historically, it's pretty accurate. U-boats would sometimes call in to ports other than their flotilla's base in order to get a temporary refit so they could "go home" - they wouldn't do anything much on the way from that base and their flotilla's, but SH3 allows you to do that. Doenitz wouldn't.

Apocal
07-24-05, 01:00 PM
Be advised, if you pull into a different port, you recieve any medals, promotions, etc. accorded to you, but those for your crew are lost.

von Buelow
09-09-05, 11:40 AM
I'm confused - 2 different stories going here... :hmm:

If you move onto mission 2, then your renown would be reset to zero - right?

I was looking for a way to continue mission #1 and increase renown/awards/promotions/etc...

Sawdust
09-09-05, 05:46 PM
If you move onto mission 2, then your renown would be reset to zero - right?
I was looking for a way to continue mission #1 and increase renown/awards/promotions/etc...
I think the game would count it as being two different patrols. But you don't lose any renown...you only lose renown when you use it to "buy" upgrades to your boat or crew.

Perhaps you're thinking that 1 patrol (with 1 reload) with 80,000 tons sunk is better than 2 patrols with 40,000 tons each (for example) ? From a gameplay point of view, it is a meaningless distinction. As far as medals and promotions, I'm not sure this matters to the game.

In any case, it is a completely voluntary option. As for me, I would only re-supply at a non-home port if there was a special reason (such as a damaged sub far from home port), not as a way to artificially rack up a lot of tonnage in a "single patrol". (It's not like the folks at Brest wouldn't have heard that you got extra torpedoes at Wilhelmshaven! (I'm sure the Kriegsmarine had accountants.) :P How else could you have sunk 25 ships with a 14 torpedo load-out? :) )

von Buelow
09-09-05, 05:53 PM
How else could you have sunk 25 ships with a 14 torpedo load-out?

Deck gun! :up:

Perhaps you're thinking that 1 patrol (with 1 reload) with 80,000 tons sunk is better than 2 patrols with 40,000 tons each (for example)

Yes, was, but now that you put it that way, ...I guess you're right :yep: Having the medals & promotions is more valuable to me, since it helps out the endurances and fix times. That one post where the guy got 46 clasps on his first patrol... that's nice, if it's true.

WolfyBrandon
09-09-05, 08:06 PM
I just docked at another port last night during my career. The patrol number does infact increase. I remember I read something about when your in port it accounts for around 1 or 2 weeks of your career. After reloading and continuing with my patrol I notised that all the ships I sunk were erased. I checked my save files and the renown from before I docked tell after I docked did not increase. :nope: :down: I sure hope i get the renown for them when I return to my home port or im going to load one of my previous saved games. :x :down:

Wolfy