PDA

View Full Version : The Ashes are here!

Jace11
07-21-05, 06:11 AM
Looking forward to a great series. Hyped up beyond belief, no tickets to be had anywhere.

Sixpack
07-21-05, 06:21 AM
Yes indeed, send them all a bomb !
:hulk: :rock: :hulk: :rock: :hulk: :rock:

Oops sorry, so much Jihad and WOT in this place, I sometimes tend to lose touch with lighter side of reality.

Anyway, sounds like fun but I honestly have no clue what you were babbling about...

Jace11
07-21-05, 06:32 AM
Yes indeed, send them all a bomb !
:hulk: :rock: :hulk: :rock: :hulk: :rock:

Oops sorry, so much Jihad and WOT in this place, I sometimes tend to lose touch with lighter side of reality.

Anyway, sounds like fun but I honestly have no clue what you were babbling about...

Nothing to with bombs mate, it's a sporting contest. Plenty of muslims play it (but none in this match), plenty of other religions too.

Flippers, bouncers, third man, short leg, slip, gully, square leg and chinamen, all make an appearance in this game.

mog
07-21-05, 06:46 AM
Flippers, bouncers, third man, short leg, slip, gully, square leg and chinamen, all make an appearance in this game.

Not to mention silly mid off, the Sheik of Tweak, Pigeon, going the tonk, sledging and the Barmy Army!

Sixpack
07-21-05, 06:55 AM
Sounds very Aussie to me. Never heard of it.

XabbaRus
07-21-05, 10:40 AM
Nope it is very English...

we have a chance to beat the Aussie's here.

Jace11
07-21-05, 11:39 AM
Not after a top order collapse. Glenn McGrath did the damage an amazing spell. Seriously some cracking deliveries. England will be lucky to get out of this, and after they had such a great morning too...

retired1212
07-21-05, 02:11 PM
Go Aussies go :yep:

Oberon
07-21-05, 03:17 PM
Trivia time!

"1877 saw the first Test match when England took on Australia at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. This rivalry took on a new turn in 1882, when England lost at home at the Oval. Upset at this turn of events, the Sporting Times printed an obituary to English cricket:

In Affectionate Remembrance of ENGLISH CRICKET, which died at the Oval on 29th AUGUST, 1882, Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances R.I.P. N.B. - The body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia.

When England toured Australia the following winter, and won 2-1, the English captain, the Hon. Ivo Bligh was presented with an urn that contained some ashes, which have variously been said to be of a bail, ball or even a woman's veil. And so The Ashes series was born."

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/7/78/Pic7811.jpg

:rock: Go England!! :rock:

Konovalov
07-21-05, 08:41 PM
I have just four words to say.

"Oooh, ahhhh, Glen McGrath!"

:rock: :rock:

snowsub
07-22-05, 01:18 AM
I have just four words to say.

"Oooh, ahhhh, Glen McGrath!"

:rock: :rock:

He is a great bowler :rock: :up:

The best of the current generation.
May not be the fastest, but much much more consistent in line/length. Over after Over :sunny:

diver
07-22-05, 01:32 AM
England have no chance!

Australia will rip them apart. We show the poms a glimpse of hope with a poor batting display then we absolutely murderered your top and middle orders.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

snowsub
07-22-05, 03:29 AM
Oi Oi Oi

Quick, where's the gun. I want to shoot myself :-j :-j

Jace11
07-22-05, 07:58 AM
When McGrath and Warne retire, Australia are finished.

I enjoyed the one-dayer where they lost to Bangladesh, that kind of defeat will be common place for them soon.

diver
07-22-05, 08:36 AM

I enjoyed the one-dayer where they lost to Bangladesh, that kind of defeat will be common place for them soon.

I enjoyed the last one-sayer, where we thrashed England.

And Australia is not reliant on either Mcgrath or Warne, look at our absolute dominance of the sport over the last 6 or 7 years, that kind of winning streak is because of terrific depth both at top level and at the grass roots of the game. You are delerious.

Jace11
07-22-05, 09:24 AM
Australias next strike bowler..

http://www.dame-edna.com/megastarphoto.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

:)

snowsub
07-22-05, 05:20 PM

I can hear the cheers from the media and whiners when Shane Warne retires from here. They both seem to be out to destroy his cricket career, but them maybe he is too, for moving to england to get away from intrusive media :doh: :o :o

But seriously, all countries wax and wane, australia will have had it's day sometime, then maybe england, maybe South Africa etc will be No.1, they'll fall and someone else will be up there...
...Maybe Bangladesh or Zimbabwe even... OMG!!

Really, the minnows need good compitition to improve.

Snowsub

XabbaRus
07-22-05, 05:34 PM
Your cricket team might be **** hot, but you can't do submarines though :D

Jace11
07-22-05, 05:39 PM

I can hear the cheers from the media and whiners when Shane Warne retires from here. They both seem to be out to destroy his cricket career, but them maybe he is too, for moving to england to get away from intrusive media :doh: :o :o

But seriously, all countries wax and wane, australia will have had it's day sometime, then maybe england, maybe South Africa etc will be No.1, they'll fall and someone else will be up there...
...Maybe Bangladesh or Zimbabwe even... OMG!!

Really, the minnows need good compitition to improve.

Snowsub

Wasn't Warney banned for a year or two? What was it he did I don't recall.

Konovalov
07-22-05, 07:19 PM
Wasn't Warney banned for a year or two? What was it he did I don't recall.

Yeah, 1 year because mommy gave him some pills to keep his weight down. B*#llsh@t!!!! Hey anyone heard about the women who has claimed that Warne asked her to convince his wife for all of them to have a threesome. Warne was trying to keep his marriage together.

Warne is a great cricketer but has some serious character flaws. You would think that a grown man with two kids and a wife would realise that family is more important than getting your rocks off every year.

Jace11
07-22-05, 07:47 PM
I thought it was drugs but wasn't sure. You know, to be honest (and i've had a few beers this evening) I saw him take that first test wicket with his first ball, it was one of those sporting moments you never forget. I was a kid at the time and after that I tried my hand at wrist spin at school (and back garden). On the odd occasion I could rip it out, if I got the grip perfect... The fouth finger and little finger I remember had to be along the seem, but it was very tricky to get right. A young lad at our school took to it and I found him unplayable, every ball I would play defensive but it would whistle past the outside edge. A genius is usually floored.

As a cricketing phenomenon he is almost unsurpassed and him being in England shouldn't be held against him, as he is has been good as captain of Hampshire. McGrath is class, the way he used the slope was... well he was so accurate, so good. The deadliest bowling I have ever seen. Our top order got no more that 8 runs each... He got them all out. It was aweful to watch. There has been talk that previous generations of english cricketers carry scars from the heavy defeats by Australia. I feel this new generation stand a chance if they get off to a good start. I also feel Australia can be beaten and their reign may soon be at an end. That first day at Lord was the best cricket and the most tense I have seen in years. England have a lot of young players and they havent lost this test yet and did well to get late wickets last night. If they finish Australia in the morning they will have a target of ~350. It will be tough. Its like watching England at football, though the tension lasts 5 days instead of 90 minutes. Probably 4 days at the most when I think about it. Anyway, I started this thread as more of a celebration of the entire event, though when provoked by auzzie partizans I'll back England all the way....

Auzzie Auzzie Auzzie, out! out! out!

diver
07-22-05, 09:24 PM
Your cricket team might be poo poo hot, but you can't do submarines though

Lets not start with this BS agaijn please. The Collins are great, leave them alone. If anything deserves a pasting it is the Upholders, oh sorry i mean the 'victorias'.

Konovalov
07-23-05, 09:03 AM
Your cricket team might be poo poo hot, but you can't do submarines though

Lets not start with this BS agaijn please. The Collins are great, leave them alone. If anything deserves a pasting it is the Upholders, oh sorry i mean the 'victorias'.

I think it was just good old tongue in cheek. Relax and enjoy the cricket. :D

Beery
07-25-05, 12:55 PM
I'm looking forward to getting the latest Brian Lara Cricket computer game (I think they call it Shane Warne Cricket in Australia). At least if the English don't win the Ashes for real, I can have them win on the computer, LOL.

Jace11
08-04-05, 02:06 PM
Ouch that looks really nasty.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41375000/jpg/_41375385_mcgrath203.jpg

XabbaRus
08-04-05, 02:08 PM
ooo didunms McGrath is out...poor guy

Seriously does look painful but I hope England don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Jace11
08-06-05, 11:48 AM
This match is really excellent. Wow!

Jace11
08-07-05, 07:14 AM
2 Runs! Argh! :D

Beery
08-07-05, 08:46 AM
Who won? I'm out here in the cricketing backwater that is the US, so I am completely in the dark.

Jace11
08-07-05, 09:33 AM
Ah mate, England won by two runs. One of THE great test matches!!

1st Day of the first test and the 3rd day of the second test match are two of the best days of cricket I have ever seen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4128908.stm

Beery
08-07-05, 08:26 PM
Wow! I really should have gone to England to see these matches.

diver
08-08-05, 05:09 AM
:damn: :cry:
What a thriller!
Shame we lost but really was one of the greatest test matches EVER!

If Warney hadnt been such a dope and stepped on his own stumps we would've won and been 2-0 up in the series, oh well he still had a stellar game.

mog
08-08-05, 06:00 AM
:damn: :cry:
What a thriller!
Shame we lost but really was one of the greatest test matches EVER!

If Warney hadnt been such a dope and stepped on his own stumps we would've won and been 2-0 up in the series, oh well he still had a stellar game.
We shouldn't be worrying about Warney's batting! He's put our actual batsmen to shame. Hayden, for example, is in terrible form.

Speaking of Warne, was that ball that spun a full metre to bowl Strauss not one of the greatest we've ever seen?

Konovalov
08-08-05, 06:24 AM
He (Hayden) may be in bad touch but Martin was a disgrace with how in the first innings he lazily ran him self out and then in the second innings played a lazy flick straight to mid-wicket. Pidgeon didn't play and we still almost won. England played well and deserved the victory.

badhat17
08-08-05, 05:48 PM
More bad news for the Aussies . :-?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4133096.stm

Hope it's not too serious . :cool:

Beery
08-08-05, 09:02 PM
Reminds me of the old adage: 'The light that burns twice as brightly burns only half as long', and the Australians have burned very brightly indeed.

Jace11
08-10-05, 08:31 PM
I tried out "ICC 2005 The Ashes Edition"

not bad

Jace11
08-15-05, 09:35 AM
Looks like the third test is coming to the boil.

Who will win? Last session to go.

Jace11
09-06-05, 11:19 AM
The Greatest Test Series of All Time.

The most tense and exciting series ever played in the long history of cricket comes to a conclusion soon. The crucial deciding fifth and final test match at the Oval begins on Thursday. In the meantime, this country has gone cricket mad. If England win the Ashes they are already saying it will be the greatest sporting achievement this country has seen since 1966. Tickets are selling for more than £1000 on ebay.

I've already bought an England cricket shirt and it's much nicer than the current football strip.

England knows that a win or a draw will be enough to recapture the Ashes, for the first time since 1987.

Before we can celebrate, we have to defeat the Australians once more. They are still are a great side and will probably field their strongest line-up for four matches.

Simon Jones is out (our leading pace-man) and Australia look like they will have McGrath back. It's going to be tough. Will England replace Jones with Collingwood or the erratic but pacey Anderson?

The last three matches have gone down to the wire. There were moments when I was unable to watch the dying minutes of the Trent Bridge test as Warney ripped England apart chasing that small target of 128. On televsion 8 million were watching in this country alone (half the television audiance) and millions more across the world. It has been fantastic. There are moments I have screamed with joy (the Aussie wickets falling early in the 1st innings at Trent Bridge), and moments when I just couldn't watch. The feeling I had after Old Trafford was one of "What if?" when England were so close.

The games have been decided by 2 runs, 1 wicket and 3 wickets respectively in the last three test. Football has been relegated to the inside pages of the tabloids and rightly so.

What a summer it has been... magic!

Beery
09-06-05, 11:29 AM
I'm following it as closely as I can, but as I'm in the US, basically all I can do is watch highlights and results, which is no substitute for watching the action as it happens. Oh, to be in England!

Jace11
09-06-05, 01:40 PM
Beery, you may be able to get Test Match Special radio commentary over the internet. I know the BBC make it available online.. I actually listen to it while having the sound down on the telly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

"Five Live Sports Extra" carries the Test Match Special coverage. The Aussies have it relayed via ABC radio. Ideal if your browsing the net and want something to listen to. Play begins at 10:30 BST so I guess thats ~5 or 6 hours earlier for you. Radio 4 and 5 may also be covering it too apparently but Sports Extra would be the place to start looking, or listening.

Beery
09-06-05, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that. :up:

mog
09-07-05, 04:46 AM
The Greatest Test Series of All Time.

I don't know about that. On the one hand you have Australia, at the bottom of our lowest form slump in decades, epitomised by the loss to Bangladesh on this tour. Then there's England, who through lapses in concentration and bad luck are only 1 Test up when it should really be 3-1. It is utterly ridiculous that if we win this last Test, even after being so comprehensively outplayed in the rest of the series, we retain the Ashes.

I can understand how all of England must be excited at the possibility of regaining the Ashes after so long, but there's no way this series is the greatest of all time.

Beery
09-07-05, 05:49 AM
Great tests are all about evenly matched sides. It doesn't really matter how poorly each team is playing. Besides, missed opportunities and poor form dog every match. I fear such criticism is merely poor sportsmanship in disguise - it's easier to lambast both sides if the game isn't going the way we'd like it: the idea being that it somehow doesn't matter if we lose if both teams are playing crappy cricket - we can just dismiss the result.

These two teams are well matched despite their flaws, and what comes out of that is great cricket.

mog
09-07-05, 06:01 AM
Great tests are all about evenly matched sides. It doesn't really matter how poorly each team is playing.
You have an odd definition of a 'great' game then. Great tests are all about players slugging it out to the best of their ability at the highest standard of cricket. If it's all about being evenly matched as you say, then I've seen some Under 10s games that must rank up there in the list of Best Matches Ever.

Beery
09-07-05, 06:42 AM
You have an odd definition of a 'great' game then. Great tests are all about players slugging it out to the best of their ability at the highest standard of cricket...

The problem with your argument is that is presumes that the players on both sides in this test series AREN'T playing their best game. Your presumptions are disrespectful to the players. No matter what mistakes are made, or how poor a player's form is, they ARE playing their best. If this was an under 10s game your argument might have some merit, but this is The Ashes for God's sake! The players aren't messing about out there. They are doing the best they can, and if that's not good enough for you, then that's too bad for you. I will enjoy a hotly contested cricket match even if there is poor form or mistakes on both sides.

mog
09-07-05, 07:16 AM
The problem with your argument is that is presumes that the players on both sides in this test series AREN'T playing their best game. Your presumptions are disrespectful to the players. No matter what mistakes are made, or how poor a player's form is, they ARE playing their best. If this was an under 10s game your argument might have some merit, but this is The Ashes for God's sake! The players aren't messing about out there. They are doing the best they can, and if that's not good enough for you, then that's too bad for you. I will enjoy a hotly contested cricket match even if there is poor form or mistakes on both sides.

I think trying their hardest and playing their best are two seperate things. Also, make no mistake; I'm enjoying watching this series more than any other in recent memory, and I'll be in front of the TV until the wee hours of the morning tomorrow. The difference is that I don't wish to throw around the label "Greatest Series Ever" as loosely as others. The scorecard is the not the ultimate indicator of the quality of the game, as the manner in which the runs are scored is just as important. There is a distinction between grinding away at a rock solid bowling attack and going to town on a bowler who, by his own admission, is bowling poorly.

Jace11
09-07-05, 07:41 AM
Well, I was only saying it cause everyone else is saying it. Richie Benaud says this series is better than 81, the best series he has ever seen.

In terms of excitement, close finishes and quality it's the best I have ever seen. Most other experts agree except you, but you are entitled to your opinion of course.

Damo1977
09-08-05, 02:34 AM
Best series I have seen in a while, maybe not for run scoring or shots, but give me exciting, close tests over one side thumping the other any day!!! Just glad I ain't involved :lol: , hate close cricket matches when there are only a few runs and a wicket or two involved, and I am fielding!!! This ashes series is the best thing for test cricket, but I only will be happy if Australia wins. And I shall find out in the next five days

C'mon Aussie, C'mon, C'mon

badhat17
09-09-05, 01:29 PM
I don't believe it , needing the win the aussie batsmen take the light and lose a session with rain forecast off and on for the rest of the weekend .

Jace11
09-11-05, 05:52 PM
Oh boy, oh boy...

This match could still go any of three ways. Basically it comes down to a one-day scenario. Can England bat 40 or 50 overs? Can Australia bowl them out and make the run chase in the later part of the day? Will bad light cause it to be drawn and hand England the Ashes?

Just like the other matches anything can happen. There is something there for both fans. Yesterday as Hayden and Langer put up huge scores I was pretty certain the Aussies would take a 200+ lead into the last day, then Freddie and Hoggie swung it back again and left the Aussies trailing by 6 (something I had thought was impossible). We know England can feel the pressure after they limped to 128 at Trent Bridge, but I also think the Aussies could feel pressure too. After the promise of a huge lead they collapsed and will feel they under-achieved. The longer England bat the more pressure on the Aussies to take wickets. The more wickets fall the more the game will swing to the Aussies and the more pressure will mount on England. In a way it encapsulates all the tense finishes we have seen so far...

http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?p=588065#post588065

Check out this forum thread at cricket web...

Over 1000 pages, 15000+ posts and nearly quarter of million "views"

Its all chronological so you find when the Aussies are doing well and when england are and see the emotions of the fans as they watch thing unfold..

badhat17
09-12-05, 10:55 AM
This news just in , the Fat Lady has arrived at the Oval and is now warming up. :-j

Jace11
09-12-05, 06:19 PM
Wow, what an amazing summer. Brilliant! We won back the Ashes, Pietersen smashed the Aussie bowlers around during the afternoon and took the match and the Ashes away from them, but it could still have been different.

When Bell came in I was as certain as anyone can be that he'd go for a duck... He just looks petrified under pressure. And then the wobbles set in. Just like at Trent Bridge the tension was there, all results were still possible and the Aussies had momentum. Step forward KP. I was discussing with someone about the two new England middle order batsmen. Bell I hear is technically sound but obviously young and prone to pressure (0 & 0 this match) but KP swaggers with confidence in all situations, and money can't buy that. After a few narrow escapes which were difficult catches, he battered the Australians and calmed the nerves of England supporters. With Collingwood and Giles he found steady partners who progressed slowely while he raced to 158 on the biggest stage he has ever played.

I felt after the tight, tense matches previously, if England were to win the Ashes, they had to put the Aussies out of the frame for once and I felt KP decided he was not going to let similar things happen.

At the end it was a strange finish and as a fan, I clamoured for a defining moment of victory, but bad light and a bit of farce left me feeling a little deflated...

However when Vaughan lifted the trophy in the evening gloom, I felt it was there. We won! We beat the invincible foe.

But, underneath that elation lay something else...

Sadness...

This is the end of a great summer, maybe the greatest summer of test cricket..

Part of me wishes we could play these Aussies once a fortnight. I like watching them as much as England. I think I am addicted to the tension and nervous energy these matches induce...

In a strange way I enjoy the contest more than the result...??

Richie Benaud is leaving too, a changing of the guard... I grew up listening to him...

Damo1977
09-13-05, 01:21 AM
Richie Benaud is leaving too, a changing of the guard... I grew up listening to him...

Richie Benaud is still going to commentate in Australia, he has just had enough of you English, which is quite understandable :P

Congrats to the English team!!! But you are still officially Number 2.

What a bloody depressive week for me, first Port Power get knocked out of the AFL finals by our hometown rivals, and than Australia lose the Ashes. :cry:

Ah well life goes on

badhat17
09-13-05, 09:41 AM
he has just had enough of you English,

Tell that to Daphne. :lol:

Damo1977
09-13-05, 04:50 PM
Tell that to Daphne. :lol:

No I think I shall pass, thank you :lol:

Anyhow latest reports are Mr McGrath and Mr Warne are going to continue to play when the next Ashes Series is here in Australia, to win back what rightfully is ours!!!

But honestly I think Mr McGrath is going to be too old, he is starting to wear out now :cry:

badhat17
09-13-05, 06:36 PM
So what's on the conveyor belt of talent then as far as the aussie bowling goes, McGill and Hodge I know about, both good players but Warne beats them easy when it comes to scaring poms. Tait needs matches , he's fast enough but he needs to tune up the radar else he's going to bleed runs.
I think Warne will still be around next time but Mcgrath is showing the signs now so in 15 mths time he just isn't going to cut it.
Is there another quick about ? Or would the two spinners option be something the aussie selectors go for ?

Jace11
09-13-05, 07:26 PM
Warney will be fine in 15 months time. He bowled to his best standard ever and the hunger is as strong as ever - just his private life may interfere between now and then, maybe he'll retire but I doubt it. McGrath did look a bit jaded after Lord's. Maybe due to injuries etc.. Could be fine. Lee will be fine on those fast bouncy wickets down-under.. Tait needs work on accuracy and consitancy.

Who knows, maybe they can fix Gillespie's problem. Channel 4 boys Benaud and Grieg said it looked like he was collapsing down during his delivery, a good bowling coach could fix that maybe...

Shane Watson..? He looks enthusicatic and good with bat, ball and in the field.. M Hussey, D Hussey, MacGill, Hodge (supposed to be very good) and Hogg...? Don't know, not seen much of these guys...

horsa
09-14-05, 05:59 AM
Its difficult to see McGrath being as a good a bowler at 37 (Ashes 2006/7 ) as he was at (say) 30 but he will still be world class. He doesn't rely on pace , just nagging accuracy anmd consistency. I think we can dismiss his performances post-Lords since he trod on a cricket ball, struggled with the injury, and then subsequently lost match fitness. McGrath is one of the all time greats. Even past his absolute best he will be a potential match winner........ as is Warne of course who can spin the ball till well into his forties if he wanted to.

BUT take these two away and the Australia bowling line up looks vulnerable. The final test bowling averages (Ashes 2005) make interesting reading. Bowlers such as Lee ( despite his admirable competitiveness) , and Tait are far more costly per wicket than the other two class acts.

England have FOUR bowlers, who still have years in the bag, and are all capable of tight and wicket taking bowling. None of them are in McGrath or Warne's class (yet) but it means England can keep the pressure on the opposition all through a match, not just when their two star turns are on.

Now, a very slow TURNING wicket might be a differnt scenario that undoes England ........... oh for a Jim Laker or Tony lock .....

Damo1977
09-15-05, 02:59 AM
So what's on the conveyor belt of talent then as far as the aussie bowling goes, McGill and Hodge I know about, both good players but Warne beats them easy when it comes to scaring poms.

MacGill will be 36 when the next ashes series are held here...So don't reckon you will be seeing him again. The whole Aussie team is starting to resemble the English "Dads Army" team of a couple of years back. Conveyor belt of bowlers? Won't really know until this Summer....But, no need to worry, no new Warnes or McGraths on the horizon, yet!!

I say "Ponting gotta go". First because of his pathetic tactics the whole english summer and also Us Waugh fans still remember his smart arse comments when Steve Waugh retired, like "The team will have more fun", "it will be a boys team". pfffft, whats fun in losing? People knew there were danger signs with these comments, plus this current stock of players were never on the receiving end of the West Indies brutality, (that was real cricket) or losing at the hands of the English. I shall never forget that Ponting got beat up in a night club a few years back after trying it on with a tranny :rotfl:

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/17/cr0008220steve20waugh20final20.jpg
When we held the Ashes still :cry:

Lamarck
09-20-05, 02:06 PM
Beery, you may be able to get Test Match Special radio commentary over the internet. I know the BBC make it available online.. I actually listen to it while having the sound down on the telly.

Jace11,

I'm afraid you won't be able to listen to the radio while watching the TV once it's on Sky next year - there's a couple of seconds delay on their transmissions. I found out while watching Channel 4 through our Sky system. The radio tells you what's happened before you see it on the TV!

Fantastic series, though. Put simply, the Aussies were knocked backwards by our attacking cricket and self-confidence, all reinforced by Vaughn's clear tactical supremacy over Ponting. Never mind them playing below par - we didn't let them play well.

I really hope Sky give Simon Hughes a job. His analysis adds so much to the viewer's understanding and enjoyment of the game.

Damo1977
09-20-05, 05:12 PM
Look at the happy English supporters!! Looks like there will be a population increase in England! ;)

mog
09-21-05, 03:05 AM
Fantastic series, though. Put simply, the Aussies were knocked backwards by our attacking cricket and self-confidence, all reinforced by Vaughn's clear tactical supremacy over Ponting. Never mind them playing below par - we didn't let them play well.

True to a large extent, especially regarding Ponting being tactically outclassed, but one look at Australia's results against Bangladesh and various county sides suggests there was more to the Ashes loss than England's game.

mog
09-21-05, 03:09 AM
I say "Ponting gotta go". First because of his pathetic tactics the whole english summer and also Us Waugh fans still remember his smart arse comments when Steve Waugh retired

I don't think Shane Warne should ever have been ditched as captain in the first place. I don't care what he does off the field, there is no doubt he is a cricketing genius. This system where Ponting is officially captain while everyone including Ponting turns to Warne for advice is an inherently flawed one.

Damo1977
09-21-05, 03:22 AM
This system where Ponting is officially captain while everyone including Ponting turns to Warne for advice is an inherently flawed one.

I agree with that.....Warne has a brilliant cricketing mind. Even they he is a nutcase off the field, it shouldn't factor into his 'Day job'.

Beery
09-22-05, 12:16 PM
Congrats to the English team!!! But you are still officially Number 2.

Blimey, talk about a back-handed compliment. 'Well done for beating us, but it's not a real victory' - is that it?

Who has the Ashes?

LOL.

Heck, the Aussies beat us most of the time. I think maybe you could be a bit more magnanimous on one of the few occasions when we do win. Or is sportsmanship and fair play completely dead?

Cdre Gibs
09-22-05, 02:17 PM
We will be Back !

Congrats to the Brits, well done.

Ya saucy sods ;)

Damo1977
09-22-05, 09:02 PM
Who has the Ashes?

LOL.

Heck, the Aussies beat us most of the time. I think maybe you could be a bit more magnanimous on one of the few occasions when we do win. Or is sportsmanship and fair play completely dead?

You lot always have the Ashes, you never ever allow us to take them home when we win a series. But we are so thankful that you English 'allow' us to have a replica to take home.....

Sportsmanship and fair play? Pfffffffft :down: Thats what lost us the ashes.... :hmm: Just if we could clone Steve Waugh, 'sportsmanship and fair play' would be extinct.

Jace11
09-22-05, 09:10 PM
I for one didn't know our erstwhile SH3 mod manager Beery was even english, I thought he was a yank with a strange cricket fixation or a thing for men in white. You live and learn..

Beery
09-22-05, 09:36 PM
Sportsmanship and fair play? Pfffffffft :down: Thats what lost us the ashes.... :hmm: Just if we could clone Steve Waugh, 'sportsmanship and fair play' would be extinct.

Hmm. I thought sportsmanship and fair play were particularly Australian character traits - or at least it's part of your national myth that they are. I thought you prided yourselves on such things. I guess it just goes to prove that national myths and reality coincide infrequently. But is winning at any cost really winning? I'm not so sure.

Beery
09-22-05, 09:45 PM
You lot always have the Ashes, you never ever allow us to take them home when we win a series. But we are so thankful that you English 'allow' us to have a replica to take home.......

Boo-hoo! Grab a tissue and have a good cry about it.

Surely Australia is free of the colonial yoke by now. I mean you got your independence ages ago. Surely you play with the big boys these days, and surely there's no 'allow' about it. Adults make agreements, and England is no longer the world's playground bully, so if Australia only gets a copy of the urn/trophy thingy, the Aussies must have agreed to that. If Australia was a child among the nations of the world you might have a point, but otherwise this part of your post just sounds petulant. I thought we poms were supposed to be the whingers. :lol: I mean in 18 months, when you Australians win the Ashes back, if I come on here with a similar attitude to the above quote, I'd never hear the end of it, and deservedly so.

Cdre Gibs
09-22-05, 10:04 PM
I'm an Expat Brit Living in Australia. I have served both countrys in their respective Defence Force's. I always back Australia and the UK in any International Arena. So when its Australia V'S England all I ask for is a damn good contest and be damned who wins :)

I'm glad in away that English cricket is on the rise ( Finaly ) but sad that it was at our expense. But the good thing is this will only make the Australian's more determind. Every so often a swift kick in the pants does wonders! I freely admit I'm not an avard cricket fan like some here, even after I use to play for Fremantle Mercantile. All that realy matters to me is that the Lads in white do the best they can on the day and lets all see a game of cricket at its best - Australia V's England. It dont get any better than that.

I'm fortunate that 2 of my mates are very close to some of the Legens of Australian Cricket. 1 was an A Grade Umpire and the other knows a few via the Fish an Tackel trade ( seems some of our lads are keen fisherman ). So on the rare occasion I bump into these living legends and even they agree, its been a long road for English cricket and its now good for Australia to have some 1 worthy come up to bat.

Damo1977
09-23-05, 12:54 AM
Boo-hoo! Grab a tissue and have a good cry about it.

I am too poor to have tissues with the taxes we pay for the English Royal family to have holidays here, I have to use toilet paper!

Surely Australia is free of the colonial yoke by now. I mean you got your independence ages ago. Surely you play with the big boys these days, and surely there's no 'allow' about it. Adults make agreements, and England is no longer the world's playground bully, so if Australia only gets a copy of the urn/trophy thingy, the Aussies must have agreed to that. If Australia was a child among the nations of the world you might have a point, but otherwise this part of your post just sounds petulant. I thought we poms were supposed to be the whingers. :lol: I mean in 18 months, when you Australians win the Ashes back, if I come on here with a similar attitude to the above quote, I'd never hear the end of it, and deservedly so.

Colonial yoke? pfffffffft But we are a child among nations, we are only 200yrs old well 217 to be precise. (only 104 of those is officially Australia). WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH give us the Urn!!!

On a serious note, we only let you poms win so people wouldn't lose interest in cricket. :lol:

Damo1977
09-23-05, 12:57 AM
I for one didn't know our erstwhile SH3 mod manager Beery was even english, I thought he was a yank with a strange cricket fixation or a thing for men in white. You live and learn..

Yes I thought the exact thing except the thing about 'men in white'. Can you explain why that enter your mind? :rotfl:

Damo1977
09-23-05, 01:09 AM
I'm fortunate that 2 of my mates are very close to some of the Legens of Australian Cricket. 1 was an A Grade Umpire and the other knows a few via the Fish an Tackel trade ( seems some of our lads are keen fisherman ). So on the rare occasion I bump into these living legends and even they agree, its been a long road for English cricket and its now good for Australia to have some 1 worthy come up to bat.

An expat living in Australia,......... :hmm: who has a friend that knows an Aussie cricketers......... :hmm: ..... :hmm: ...we lost the Ashes :hmm: A.... :hmm: SPY is in our midst.....At last I have found the reason why we lost the Ashes, it wasn't because England played well, it was Cdr Gibs selling secrets.... :rotfl:

On a serious note... for Beery and other poms (pommie showers!! :lol: )
I hate to admit it but it was the best series ever that I have seen, and if we had to lose the Ashes, I must say that it couldn't have gone to a more worthwhile and spirited bunch of English cricketers

mog
09-23-05, 05:22 AM
Hmm. I thought sportsmanship and fair play were particularly Australian character traits - or at least it's part of your national myth that they are. I thought you prided yourselves on such things. I guess it just goes to prove that national myths and reality coincide infrequently. But is winning at any cost really winning? I'm not so sure.

I think perhaps Australian sportsmanship was always predicated upon the notion that we could afford to be good sports because at the very least we could always count on beating England. Since we have lost the union and now the Ashes, our whole national identity is going arse over tit. :lol:

Damo1977
09-23-05, 06:15 AM

I think perhaps Australian sportsmanship was always predicated upon the notion that we could afford to be good sports because at the very least we could always count on beating England. Since we have lost the union and now the Ashes, our whole national identity is going arse over tit. :lol:

:hmm: What is Union? we have AFL and 'wogball' sorry fussball, mean football (had to be politically incorrect) here in Adelaide or nothing....Geez all my fellow Aussies pandering to the English, what is going on?

Remember Steve Waugh (my mentor)

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/6832/asacc8xh.jpg
what it says

ACCOUNTABILITY
When you make a mistake there are one of three things you should ever do about it.
1. Admit it
2. Learn from it
3. Don't repeat it

mog
09-23-05, 07:10 AM
:hmm: What is Union? we have AFL and 'wogball' sorry fussball, mean football (had to be politically incorrect) here in Adelaide or nothing....Geez all my fellow Aussies pandering to the English, what is going on?
Just taking the p*ss, there's nothing unsportsmanlike about pointing out that we are still #1 on the official rankings. Union = Rugby Union. You're probably more familiar with Rugby League; Union is the version of rugby played at private schools and followed by lawyers and the like.

Lamarck
09-23-05, 01:36 PM

True to a large extent, especially regarding Ponting being tactically outclassed, but one look at Australia's results against Bangladesh and various county sides suggests there was more to the Ashes loss than England's game.

I don't have the figures in front of me, but I seem to remember the Aussies scoring pretty freely against the county sides between tests. Yet the same batsmen scoring centuries there couldn't reproduce it in the Tests.

It'll be interesting to see how well the they do against the World XI. They'll be burning to put in a good performance. The World XI will be stronger on paper than England, but they won't have anything like the same team spirit or tactical focus.

England had it really worked out how to bowl to the key batsmen. Even in the last test when Langer and Hayden both scored centuries the scoring rate was much slower than the Aussies needed to build up the momentum they're used to. Perhaps Freddie will pass enough of the tactics on.

Damo1977
09-25-05, 04:35 AM
Just taking the p*ss, there's nothing unsportsmanlike about pointing out that we are still #1 on the official rankings. Union = Rugby Union. You're probably more familiar with Rugby League; Union is the version of rugby played at private schools and followed by lawyers and the like.

No worries Mog, me was joking too about Union. Don't really know much about the 2 Rugby codes, but I am more familiar with I think Union (the one with hardly any stoppages). Anyhow as a Port Power supporter, must say congratulations on Sydney winning the AFL premiership.