PDA

View Full Version : Editing range with timetraveller's crush depth tool...

Syxx_Killer
07-11-05, 04:39 PM
I wanted the subs to have ranges equivalent with their real-life counterparts. I downloaded and used the Crush Depth utility by timetraveller to edit the ranges. What I want to know is, is the game off or is it the utility? Take for instance the XXI. It's real life range was 15500 miles at 10 knots surfaced. I entered that into the utility and started a mission. I order 10 knots and ask the NA for range at current speed. He gives me a report of 26040 km. That comes out to be 16144.8 miles. As you can see that is quite a bit more than 15500 at 10 knots. When I tested the IXD2 earlier (I don't remember exact numbers), but when I was going at ahead slow and asked for range at current speed I got a report like 75,000 km (you know how that report varies - at one time he game me a report of over 100,000 km!). I entered 23,700 miles into the Crush Depth utility. As you can see, without even converting to miles, that is much greater than 23,700 miles. What should I do to attain the most realistic sub ranges? The numbers entered into the Crush Depth tool were taken from uboat.net, so they are right. :damn:

On another note, when changing crush depth for the VIIC, what are the check marks for the VIIC/41 and VIIC/42 for? I checked the readme and it doesn't say. I know the VIIC/41 & 42 are hardcoded to be the same as the VIIC.

jimcarrel
07-11-05, 06:35 PM
On another note, when changing crush depth for the VIIC, what are the check marks for the VIIC/41 and VIIC/42 for? I checked the readme and it doesn't say. I know the VIIC/41 & 42 are hardcoded to be the same as the VIIC.[/quote]

The three variants for the VIIC are all in same entries, only check one of those if that is what you will be currently driving, I'm pretty sure on this, my own research.
On the other subject you will get different distance reports according to wind, wind direction, and whether or not you are charging batteries or not.

If you get tight on fuel, go with wind if possible, it seems to me to be moddled.
Cheers,
JimC.

Average Joe
07-11-05, 06:51 PM
>>>
On another note, when changing crush depth for the VIIC, what are the check marks for the VIIC/41 and VIIC/42 for? I checked the readme and it doesn't say. I know the VIIC/41 & 42 are hardcoded to be the same as the VIIC. <<<

Syxx_Killer,

I believe Timetraveller's Crush Depth Util includes the check-marks for VIIC/41 and /42, to prevent one from changing a VIIC crush-depth greater than 300m.

Try it with a VIIC, and it'll display a note about VII-C depths. It's there for more realism I think. Check-mark the VIIC/41 or 42 and depths can be set much greater than 300m.

I've not touched the speed/range settings yet but it is a neat and poweful utility!

ENtek-IO
07-12-05, 03:52 AM
I wanted the subs to have ranges equivalent with their real-life counterparts. I downloaded and used the Crush Depth utility by timetraveller to edit the ranges. What I want to know is, is the game off or is it the utility? Take for instance the XXI. It's real life range was 15500 miles at 10 knots surfaced. I entered that into the utility and started a mission. I order 10 knots and ask the NA for range at current speed. He gives me a report of 26040 km. That comes out to be 16144.8 miles. As you can see that is quite a bit more than 15500 at 10 knots. When I tested the IXD2 earlier (I don't remember exact numbers), but when I was going at ahead slow and asked for range at current speed I got a report like 75,000 km (you know how that report varies - at one time he game me a report of over 100,000 km!). I entered 23,700 miles into the Crush Depth utility. As you can see, without even converting to miles, that is much greater than 23,700 miles. What should I do to attain the most realistic sub ranges? The numbers entered into the Crush Depth tool were taken from uboat.net, so they are right. :damn:

On another note, when changing crush depth for the VIIC, what are the check marks for the VIIC/41 and VIIC/42 for? I checked the readme and it doesn't say. I know the VIIC/41 & 42 are hardcoded to be the same as the VIIC.
In that case reduce the number you put in till the effective range matches the historical value +- an error margin that is tolerable for you.

timetraveller
07-15-05, 07:42 AM
Distance measurement, as calculated by SH3, is not accurate. Accuracy is "better" at the equator, and gets much worse as you move closer to the poles. In real life, the closer you get to the poles, the closer the lines of longitude are together. SH3 uses a flat map concept, where longitude lines are always equidistant whether at the equator or the poles. I believe sub range is calculated based on the course you have set, so will differ somewhat from the actual miles/kilometers depending on where you are in the world.

The check marks for the VIIC/41 and VIIC/42 are there so you can extend the depth for these models. It's an "honor" system only, so as to allow realistic depth limits for these models.

Hope this helps.

TT