PDA

View Full Version : Mod enabler question

Catfish
07-08-05, 06:46 AM
Hello,
i have a problem, or i don't know how the mod enabler handles things:

I have currently the patch 1.4b and the mod RUB 1.42 installed, using JSGME - ok.
JSGME makes a backup of changed files in the subfolders of the MOD\backup directory.
Now i want to install another mod like "Less air patrols" or "Destroyer late sonar fix". E.g. the latter, having created the data folders under the MOD directory i start JSGME and push the "add" button.

Now there's the message:

"AI_Sensors.dat" has ... been altered by the Real U-boat 1.42 mod. "DepthCharges.zon" has ... been altered by the Real U-boat 1.42 mod.
Enabling this mod may have adverse effect on your game. Are you sure you want to enable this mod ?"

Yes, i'm sure, but: when i disable this mod later, will the RUB files be restored again ?
I think yes - and when i then remove the RUB mod, will the original unchanged files be restored ?
I mean the save order is like last in - first out (in reverse order of installing) when you want to go back. I ask this because the JSGME would have to make multiple file saves for several mods that overwrite the same files. I hope you know what i mean (?)

Greetings,
Catfish

JScones
07-08-05, 08:36 AM
Yup. Works on the LIFO principle. When you uninstall "Destroyer late sonar fix" you'll get back the RUb files and when you uninstall the RUb mod you'll get back the SH3 files.

You won't be able to uninstall the RUb mod until you uninstall the "Destroyer late sonar fix" mod, hence the LIFO aspect.

Every time you install a mod that overwrites files, the files are backed up. You'll see this in the !backup folder - same file names but with different mod names appended. That's how JSGME keeps track of what belongs what.

Catfish
07-08-05, 09:00 AM
Haa,
how i've been waiting for this ! Thanks a lot, so your mod enabler takes care of all changes - i thought it would only log the original files and the latest installed - now i see it reall keeps track making a backup of all intermediate files that may have been changed during several different mod installs.
Just curious - i can imagine doing this with DOS commandos or Visual basic - but your tool is really fast - what did you program this with ?

Greetings, and thanks a lot,
Catfish

JScones
07-08-05, 10:00 AM
Borland Delphi (object Pascal). It's been my main application development tool of choice since it first came out in 1995.

I avoid Visual Basic whenever and wherever I can. :)