PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE!! Combo or cdrw drive problems Please POST!

Hengist
07-12-05, 12:00 PM
Just read this thread, but...

My Samsung CD/DVD RW died on me straight after installing SHIII. I had to go out and buy another to play the game. Coincidence? I don't know?

fallenone
07-13-05, 10:46 AM
i got a noname dvd-rom,
after installing sh3 i can't play dvd movies at all.
they aren't showing on my pc anymore. just like there is no dvd in the dvd-rom.

That's not nice. Other DVD ( Data Dvd ) are running fine.
Only DVD's with a film (orig. DVD).

So i can't watch "Das Boot" anymore :damn:

Soulcommander
07-14-05, 04:04 PM
For all of you who wrote to me with PM's and email. If you haven't forwarded your problems to Ubisoft, now is the time to do it!

I was just informed that only a few people got their message to the proper channels at Ubisoft.
SO....If you need to still forward the info make sure you follow the simple instructions I sent you!!!!

Some of you have told me that your emails to Ubisoft came back with the normal answers to update drivers etc etc. If this is the case It should not of happened!!!

All UBI techs are suppose to look for your emails with the instructions at the top that I told you to place there and then forward your mail to the Head of the tech dept.

Also if you live in Australia or elsewhere and forwarded your emails to those locations those techs have also been informed to get your reports to the proper person.

SO AGAIN.....I stress if you have not sent in your problem do so NOW!
If you need instructions again on what EXACTLY to do.. PM me ASAP!

Thanks again for all your help!

SC

Another good read: http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_053h.html

NZ_Wanderer
07-14-05, 04:53 PM
Could you possibly ask the head tech at UBI to give you a list of whos' emails he has got, that way we know if ours got through or not...

Soulcommander
07-14-05, 05:21 PM
Could you possibly ask the head tech at UBI to give you a list of whos' emails he has got, that way we know if ours got through or not...

I certainly will do that. The only problem is if someone is using a different screen name. But I will ask!

:up:

NZ_Wanderer
07-18-05, 05:08 PM
Some of you have told me that your emails to Ubisoft came back with the normal answers to update drivers etc etc. If this is the case It should not of happened!!!

Hey SC, check your E-mail.. - UBI techs have done it again :( :(

benetofski
07-18-05, 06:32 PM
It seems that there is more than a coincidental failure with DVD Drives after installing SH3 and the 'MALWARE' '(StarForce') that they seem fit to issue with it!

(There is probably a justifable case for a 'Class Action Suit' providing that 'experts' can prove the failures are due to the 'StarForce' installation....)

Purchasing a Software (licence) from 'UBISOFT' should not include allowing damaging 'Malware' (I dont know how else to describe Starforce!) to be installed on individual PC's - which is akin to allowing 'Spyware' to be installed on your PC without objection.

The latter would never be permitted, but 'UBISOFT' are saying in not so many words) if you want to use our products, then accept our 'Malware' (StarForce)...

QUESTION:

Why have'nt MICROSOFT done the same thing?

ANSWER:

They, (MICROSOFT) probably (being really smart!) reason that ANY Software can be copied (eventually) but place the 'user' and the 'community' 'on trust' - threatening and implementing the occasional 'huge' copyright lawsuit and at the same time acknowledging that 'software Marketing is a 'two-edged Sword' - if enough people want your product, (they monitor the forums too!) then give them the tools (SDK - SoftwareDevelopment Kit) and encourage the user base to help it evolve...

Flight Simulator is a perfect example - the entertainment need was there - and now the product has evolved - MICROSOFT sold millions of copies the users followed the generations and ...WIN-WIN for everyone!

It's a pity that UBISOFT has not fully understood how to 'market' software products, instead prefering to instal (potentially damaging) MALWARE in a 'ruse' to protect their meagre market share.

Well UBISOFT 'LISTEN-UP' in fairness, some of your products are pretty-damn good (SH3) for example IS THE BEST SUBSIM TO DATE - but some of us need the versatility of our PC's for other applications - if this means uninstalling your products and giving you 'bad press' so be it - there is a trade-off for loyalty - you need us - we will respect your decisions, but never forget WE have 'choice' on our side when it comes to buying software!

There is an 'easy fix' to the problem - introduce SH4 without StarForce but with a non-invasive copyright routine and include a SDK - This will allow the user-base to evolve the product - support them in the forums - then UBISOFT can introduce SH5 and maybe 6!

:sunny:

Onkel Neal
07-18-05, 06:54 PM
No problems here, sorry. IF SF is really that bad, seems like it would have been recalled or something.

Onkel Neal
07-19-05, 09:56 PM
Tonight I unistalled SH3 and installed a different copy. Registered with ubi.com using my Ubisoft forum account. Patched to v1.4b. Started the game, it didn't ask for my serial # What's the deal with that?

NZ_Wanderer
07-19-05, 10:37 PM
Your serial number is hidden on your system, the only way it will ask for that again is if you reformat your HDD :) :)

Soulcommander
07-20-05, 02:30 AM
EDITED
It seems that there is more than a coincidental failure with DVD Drives after installing SH3 and the 'MALWARE' '(StarForce') that they seem fit to issue with it!

Well thats the whole reason I decided to do something about this.
I have suffered enough and was not reimbursed for any of the problems that occured and the time it took. A failed $239 CDRW drive...Not to mention all my time and effort.
And after seeing others with problems I decided enough is enough.

We all have to be involved in helping SHIV to evolve into something that hasn't been corrupted by...well you know that already.

Catfish
07-20-05, 05:34 AM
Hello Neal,
it did not ask you again because the Starforce drivers are not removed during a de-install of Silent Hunter. So doing a new installation it found the residing ones with the serial number and did not have to ask.
For removing the SF drivers, there is an official tool available at various places, SF home and Ubisoft being two of them.
Greetings,
Catfish

Soulcommander
07-21-05, 04:41 PM
Hello Neal,
it did not ask you again because the Starforce drivers are not removed during a de-install of Silent Hunter. So doing a new installation it found the residing ones with the serial number and did not have to ask.
For removing the SF drivers, there is an official tool available at various places, SF home and Ubisoft being two of them.
Greetings,
Catfish

That tool can be downloaded here: http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55

Soulcommander
07-21-05, 04:49 PM
For all of you who have wrote to me and have been given instructions as to who to write about your problems.....Ubisoft has not seen nearly enough of those of you that I have sent instructions to. If you sincerly want to be heard and your situation looked at you should respond to Ubisoft and send a personal email to me that your letter was sent.

I took the time to review your problems and include you all in this investigation that fit the profile, so please do us all a favor who cherishes this game to follow through with the instructions.

I have sent out personal emails to those of you who Ubi have not received letters from.

And for those of you who are new here and have issues please pm me.

Thanks again :up:
Souclommander

Soulcommander
07-24-05, 03:42 PM
Emails are pouring in to me. Everyone, its very important now that you follow the instructions I sent you as UBI is prepared to recieve your reports. If you ever wrote to Ubisoft tech support before and Got NO where...forget about that. I get so many emails saying I wrote them and they jacked me around doing nothing. Well NOW they are watching and listening.

So get them reports in as per Instructions!!!!

A BIG Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SC

Soulcommander
07-25-05, 04:00 PM
Bump (drebble said I could) :lol:

NZ_Wanderer
07-25-05, 05:37 PM
Soooo do we just sit back and ignore any messages from Star**** while we wait for UBI to get all our messages?
Cause as you know they passed my message to Star**** who replied to me . So far I just been ignoring their message to me :rotfl: :rotfl:

Soulcommander
07-25-05, 07:07 PM
NZ....If you still have my email address send me what Starforce has sent you and what they are asking you. I have been receiving alot of complaints in regards to SF tech support from all of you. I would like to see what they are sending you too. I have been waiting for a reponse from my contact at Ubi in regards to these complaints.

Thank you...

Again for all members of the StarForce Investigation....If you have not submitted your info I urge you to do that NOW. I sent many instructions out but only 35% of you have responded thus far. Get those reports in guys!

SC

NZ_Wanderer
07-25-05, 07:27 PM
Check your Inbox SC, you will find a forwarded message from me :up: :up:

Soulcommander
07-25-05, 07:42 PM
NZ Nothing there. Maybe the system takes a while to get it through? I wouldnt think so...Try it again!

Onkel Neal
07-25-05, 07:45 PM
Hello Neal,
Greetings,
Catfish

Ah, ok, thanks.

Soulcommander
10-05-05, 05:32 PM
A brief update fellas...
Toms hardware just released this article today. And much more to follow I'm sure!!!
If you want to see about Starforce and how awful it is read this article: http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/01/the_war_on_game_pirates/index.html

I have been saying it for a long time as you all well know![/url]

kiwi_2005
10-06-05, 09:12 AM
Ive been having a full on battle with starforce since i brought SH3, but for about a month now i think ive solved it. Before, my dvd drive use to go crazy, infact one time it just stopped working when i put in the sh3 dvd, then when in the game it use to just stop working every 20 - 30 minutes , i would restart and she'll be fine but 20min later she would stop (resulting in a computer crash) Then i decided to turn of Windows Sytem Restore and the 20min crashing stopped., my dvd stopped going crazy as well. My opinion, is Starforce and system restore cannot live side by side, one has to be turned off, since i wasn't gonna give up on SH3, i chose System Restore.

Ive had NO problems with starforce since. :D :rock:

rabu
10-16-05, 11:34 PM
A brief update fellas...
Toms hardware just released this article today. And much more to follow I'm sure!!!
If you want to see about Starforce and how awful it is read this article: http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/01/the_war_on_game_pirates/index.html

Uhh... that isn't the famous "Tom's Hardware" site, though the name sounds similar. This is Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html Let's not misslead players, OK?

Serverdaemon
10-17-05, 12:53 PM
Well, it's not terribly detailed... But I purchased a CD-DVD RW a few months ago and it worked great. Then after I installed SH3, whenever I go to burn a disk (either CD or DVD), the software comes up saying that there is no disk in the drive. I've tried 3 or 4 different software suites, (including NERO) and they all say the same. I've tried different blank media (3 or 4 kinds from cheap to expensive) and always the same thing.
The drive appears ok, all diagnostics see it, but it just stopped burning.
Starforce recommended to me that I uninstall their drivers and gave me a link to a new uninstall tool, but of course that would mean no more SH3! So, for now I choose to play and sometime when I'm tired of the game I'll be able to burn again.

S

rabu
10-17-05, 01:10 PM
Well, it's not terribly detailed... But I purchased a CD-DVD RW a few months ago and it worked great. Then after I installed SH3, whenever I go to burn a disk (either CD or DVD), the software comes up saying that there is no disk in the drive. I've tried 3 or 4 different software suites, (including NERO) and they all say the same. I've tried different blank media (3 or 4 kinds from cheap to expensive) and always the same thing.
Starforce recommended to me that I uninstall their drivers and gave me a link to a new uninstall tool, but of course that would mean no more SH3! So, for now I choose to play and sometime when I'm tired of the game I'll be able to burn again.

S

I believe they have an updated starforce file you can dl, I don't know if it will help, but someone else here can probably tell you where to get it, etc.

Gizzmoe
10-17-05, 01:12 PM

Try the Starforce driver update, maybe it solves your problem:
http://www.star-force.com/protection/users/

Soulcommander
10-17-05, 01:41 PM
A brief update fellas...

Uhh... that isn't the famous "Tom's Hardware" site, though the name sounds similar. This is Tom's Hardware:

Hardwarehttp://www.tomshardware.com/index.html Let's not misslead players, OK?

Sorry your wrong...this is a part of Toms Hardware...Look at the bottom of the link I provided. You will see Toms Hardware listed there. Plus this story came in the Toms Hardware Guide newsletter. And if thats not enough for you read this:
TG Publishing is the premiere media company for the technology generation. The company, best known for its Tom’s Hardware Guide site, targets “grassroots technologists”—the huge population of technology early adopters who have grown up on video games, computers and gadgets—and have an insatiable need for more. They are avid buyers of technology themselves, and influence major technology purchases for the workplace and at home.

Or go here:
http://tgpublishing.net/

Soulcommander
10-17-05, 01:43 PM

S

Serverdaemon
If you write me a pm UBI would like some information from you. Shoot me a PM with your personal email address And I will write you back!
Thank you
Soulcommander