PDA

View Full Version : Sub school issue

bstanko6
02-11-19, 12:24 AM
Just got SH4. In pretty good manual targeting. I’m at 100% realism. In sub school torpedo attack, I bring up the rec manual to ID the cruiser. The book has everything but ship length in it! How do calc speed???

It’s vanilla SH4

Fifi
02-11-19, 02:36 AM
That’s SH4! :D

To get boat speed, or you use the TDC speed calculator, or if map contacts on, you use the 3 minutes 15 chrono calculation...last you can set a visual approximation!
Asking your sonar man, he can give you an idea of speed (slow/medium/fast)

Knowing you don’t use the map contacts...choice is quick done :D
Unfortunately, US sub didn’t have U-Jagd chrono :salute:

I too, would like to see ships length in ID book...
It’s not only in vanilla, but mods too.

bstanko6
02-11-19, 02:39 AM
Really. That is ridiculous. So American skippers had to guess each time?

In the school the cruiser is like right in front of my boat! No time to play around. Without info...

Fifi
02-11-19, 02:45 AM
You spot that cruiser... enter distance then AOB...after few time re-enter distance and click the speed button...it should give you 9 knots if measurements are correct :03:
Don’t Forget to click red button to make TDC on...

That’s the way it works in SH4...

bstanko6
02-11-19, 03:31 AM
Ok thanks

bstanko6
02-11-19, 03:34 AM
This is wat different from a Uboat tdc

Fifi
02-11-19, 04:35 AM
On side note, in SH3 or SH5, it’s quite easy to set right AOB just visually by the TDC ship shape drawn on the TDC in regard of what you see in periscope.
I usually got very good results.
I proceeded same way in SH4, but my AOB is not that accurate as in SH3/SH5 :yep:

The ship shape drawn on TDC looks like the boat is coming more toward me than it is in reality...so best is to set AOB when ship is pretty close to 90°. It’s easier and more accurate. At least to me...

(Sorry for bad explanation, i’m Not English native)

Vox165
02-11-19, 08:51 AM
I came from SH3 and expected ship lengths in the rec -book . It should have been included. However, In stock game the ship lengths in meters, are in the original print or online manual.

The OTC mod among its many other improvements adds lengths as feet and meters to the recognition manual

I played vanilla for a while then tried: Ralles RealModSoup for TMO_RSRDC_OTC which i have been very happy with . Basically this is three of the most popular mods blended together.