PDA

View Full Version : Worth Buying ?

skip
06-20-17, 03:39 PM
As title states, is this game worth buying now at full price or better to wait for a sale.

Cheers

FPSchazly
06-20-17, 03:50 PM
Yes, it is good to buy! It was good on the first day, too. :Kaleun_Cheers:

Barkhorn1x
06-20-17, 03:53 PM
As title states, is this game worth buying now at full price or better to wait for a sale.

Cheers

Yes, I believe so. And, the devs appear to be very committed to patching.

Overkill
06-20-17, 04:00 PM
ABSOLUTELY! :lurk:

LoBlo
06-20-17, 05:37 PM
Yep. Worth buying. Support the genre, its hard to find developers in our style of play.

Thresher
06-20-17, 05:40 PM
Yep! :Kaleun_Salute:

Struts77
06-20-17, 06:36 PM
Absolutely worth it. And with the dev team taking inputs to improve the game and mod community adding more, it keeps getting better. :Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:

Delgard
06-20-17, 06:55 PM
It seems there is a market for the WWII and the modern-styles of sub simulations. CW, as it is, is great and the fixes/patches are filling in holes with accuracy and relevance. Once the mods settle, I would like to try the missions with variances like location, forces, etc.

I think it will be around a good long time.

Shadow
06-20-17, 07:24 PM
Yep. Worth buying. Support the genre, its hard to find developers in our style of play.

+1!

The Killerfish guys are quite diligent, and are rapidly churning out balance/bugfix updates as they work on new features based on community feedback: a new navigation module offering more traditional subsim controls (vs. direct rudder/planes/ballast control) and crew voiceovers.

They've said they're unlikely to participate in sales, but beyond that it's in our best interest to support those few fearless devs which delve into what's so far quite a niche genre.

Jacke
06-20-17, 08:27 PM
"Cold Waters" is definitely worth full price. Killerfish Games has already done a lot to improve a game in the past 2 weeks. We fully expect to see great things from this game and its mods.

tirta
06-21-17, 05:23 AM
Yes, it is definitely worth buying since killerfish has already made quite a few patches for the bugs

Nimmo55
06-21-17, 05:24 AM
Definitely buy. Good game and getting better by the week. Very responsive developers.

Nimmo55

gmohr
06-21-17, 07:46 AM
+1 from me!

GulfXray
06-21-17, 04:07 PM
Skip,

I sat on the fence for a week reading forum posts here and watching who knows how many hours of youtube videos. The whole time asking my self the same question you asked.

I finally bought the game this AM - what tipped me over the edge was the SubSim community support/enthusiasm and the developers' engagement with the community. So far I am enjoying it very much and feel I will definitely get more than monies worth of fun out of it.

Granted I am still learning, but I am already talking my torpedoes into their target and applying 'body english' as I take evasive actions.

Good luck with your decision Skip.

max-peck
06-21-17, 04:32 PM
Another hearty recommendation here

Just to echo what everyone else has said

A great deal of fun currently - can only get even better from here

Very responsive developers who seem keen to listen to suggestions - and also they are turning out patches very fast - seems they have a real commitment to the game

As if that wasn't enough - SUBSIM members have already started to delve into the game and make MODS for even more fun

Or look at it this way
I spend £30 on this.
Looking at my STEAM account - it seems I have already had 68 hours of enjoyment of this game
And I have no inclination to stop playing yet - so it is going to end up in the hundreds of hours I am sure :03:

Hundreds of hours of entertainment for £30 investment seems like a pretty good return to me :D

Wiz33
06-21-17, 04:35 PM
This game is a buy now. Don't wait. Well worth the cost.

PL_Harpoon
06-21-17, 05:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvv5_p1raz8

midnight.mangler
06-21-17, 11:44 PM
Absolutely get it!

Bugs are being patched rapidly and new features incoming. It's in excellent shape already though. If you like modern sub warfare / RSR it's a no brainer. Waiting means you just don't love yourself enough to give yourself joy. :)

JacqueShredo
06-22-17, 08:13 AM
This is a fantastic game that will only get better and better over time.

Great sub games are a rarity nowadays. Having something like this is amazing especially with the pro active developers!:up:

kramxel
06-23-17, 01:15 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also running into the same dilemma.
I'm a 688/SubCommand/Dangerous Waters vet, having also played some SH4.

I've been gathering information on Cold Waters ever since receiving that email from Onkel Neal, and i've seen some videos on youtube.

Even though I've been pleasantly surprised by it, I feel it may be a little too simplistic for my taste, as there's pratically no TMA involved, the distances are way too close for comfort (25kyards), and the overal gameplay a bit too arcady (especially the torpedo dodging part).

What do you guys think?

Wiz33
06-23-17, 01:52 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm also running into the same dilemma.
I'm a 688/SubCommand/Dangerous Waters vet, having also played some SH4.

I've been gathering information on Cold Waters ever since receiving that email from Onkel Neal, and i've seen some videos on youtube.

Even though I've been pleasantly surprised by it, I feel it may be a little too simplistic for my taste, as there's pratically no TMA involved, the distances are way too close for comfort (25kyards), and the overal gameplay a bit too arcady (especially the torpedo dodging part).

What do you guys think?

It's a sub commander simulation, not a sub stations simulation. As a captain. I have the rest of the crew to do all the stuff you mentioned. I may watch over their shoulder at time (that's why you have the waterfall and dive control). The torp evasion is very accurate (go watch Jive's video) the 3D view is there to help inexperience player to visualize the 3D space. Don't use it and just use the tactical plot if you want. That's all I use most of the time. I just wish I can get the Torp depth info on the tac plot with having the water condition hud selected. I do wish we can start scenario further away though. Maybe the Dev can give us an option for when the contact use 1st picked up.

PL_Harpoon
06-23-17, 02:03 PM
Well, that depends what you want from your subsim. If you get the most fun of manually plotting TMA, identifying contacts by listening for number of screws or spending 30' staring at waterfalls I'd give this a pass.

But, if what you're after is making tactical decisions, designing approach vectors or trying to outsmart the enemy with a clear numerical advantage - you'll love Cold Waters.

I'd also say that it's not as simplistic, as it looks. There's a lot of stuff being simulated, but most of it is "under the hood". You as a captain are just presented with what's important - results. There are some simplifications, like you always have perfect solution on all torpedoes within range but the most important thing - sound is simulated quite decently.

In other words,imagine playing DW if you turn autocrew on every station and stay on tactical map - only in Cold Waters it works much better. The crew isn't omnipotent, like in vanilla SC or almost useless like in DW. And there's a dynamic campaign.