PDA

View Full Version : SUBSIM: Cold Waters review - A new wave with an old flavor

Onkel Neal
06-10-17, 07:53 AM
Game Review (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/cold_waters/review_cold_waters.php)

Killerfish Games is a small but talented dev team that just released a sim that can hold its ground: Cold Waters. I liked KF's previous games; they started with Pacific Fleet, a pleasant mobile game, and then progressed to Atlantic Fleet, which was a turn-based mobile naval game that was ported with success to the PC. Now Cold Waters arrives with real time action all the way and that makes a real difference in the gameplay. Killerfish have spent nearly two years of time and money creating their latest game, billing it as the spiritual successor to Red Storm Rising, a game that many subsim vets remember fondly. And yes, the design stays true to its roots but delivers a lot more visual appeal that its 1988 predecessor.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=1102&pictureid=9436

Thresher
06-10-17, 08:12 AM
Great review Neal.... :Kaleun_Salute:

StandingCow
06-10-17, 08:31 AM
Good stuff! Looks like the game is doing well on steam, hopefully well enough that support can continue!

Stardog765
06-10-17, 09:47 AM
Great review and even more exciting for me is the preview of the orders panels. That is so great and I so appreciate these guys adding that for those of us who asked for. It is truly beyond what I expected and just looks so nice.

Thank you!

Topo65
06-10-17, 11:54 AM
Excelent review!

Question:
With de new order panel... Can we vary the speed in increments of 1 knot?

USSCheyenne
06-10-17, 12:04 PM
Fully agree with the review! Also really nice you could post screens with upcoming UI changes. Looks fantastic.

I bought the game after watching phenomenal Jive Turkey's videos. I feel like KF should pay him something since he's doing such a great job of advertising the game:)

Oh, and hello all!

:Kaleun_Salute:

YoYo
06-10-17, 12:49 PM
Thx. Not yet read but Today I hope!

Subnuts
06-10-17, 12:54 PM
So if the modded version of Cold Waters is somewhere between the vanilla game and Cold Waters in terms of realism, could they rename it Dangerously Cold Waters?:Kaleun_Wink:

Aktungbby
06-10-17, 12:57 PM
Oh, and hello all USSCheyenne!:Kaleun_Salute: Oh. and nice year-long silent run till something worthy brought you to the surface!:yeah:

oversoul
06-18-17, 02:09 PM
Sometimes it is appropriate to be a diggity a**hole. This is one of those times, and I am one! I linked to your article on my steam review after I got the email. Very good accounting. Carry on smartly.

BoHill
06-18-17, 11:09 PM
Neal, excellent review and interesting summary. This sounds like a winner.

Navuhodonosor
06-19-17, 12:03 PM
@Onkel Neal, thx for the e-mail Neal, bought the game and I love it:Kaleun_Cheers:

Fearless
06-19-17, 04:59 PM
Bought the game and learning the ropes again after a long absence.:Kaleun_Salute:

Matt2503
06-20-17, 10:06 AM
I was hoping for something similar to 688i HK but how wrong was I.
This game a serious let down. The controls weren't easy to get on with (no "P" for periscope depth) and it lacked realism (no ability to control the towed array).

Onkel Neal
06-20-17, 10:59 AM
Check the review, control enhancements are in the works.

Barkhorn1x
06-20-17, 12:10 PM
Nice review Neal. Ya brought me back and I purchased last night. Good, FUN, stuff!!!:Kaleun_Cheers:

Onkel Neal
06-20-17, 12:32 PM
Aww, sweet. Glad I could spread the joy:)

Fearless
06-20-17, 06:39 PM
Yes, I love it.. Did the training and thought lets try out the 1968 campaign... Didn't last long I must say.. got hit by an Oscar that had an active sensor torpedoes. I wasn't fast enough to get out of the way.

I didn't hear the fish coming thus would love to have those sensor stations. Most of all I would love to stand on the bridge when surfaced.

Pytheas
07-22-17, 04:00 PM
Hello commanders, :salute:

Would be great to see NATO's naval forces participating & fighting too in tactical map and not being alone.
A force on force naval fights between groups of ships, subs, wolfpacks would be great add-on! Is this possible?
Pytheas

briangoguen
08-03-17, 11:49 AM
:k_confused::k_confused:Game Review (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/cold_waters/review_cold_waters.php)

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=1102&pictureid=9436

:k_confused: Iwas Expecting my old friend RSR at best ,more modern than SH5 or other newer games .what I got is so much less.
Disappointed hell that a Affirmative .
RSR was what got me in to gaming and even trying a computer.
Gentalmen We have a long way to go but between the game dev and the team here,we can get the job done.Oue boys need something up to par for theie off time.Do it for them.
:Kaleun_Applaud: :Kaleun_Salute:

Aktungbby
08-03-17, 12:39 PM
briangoguen!:Kaleun_Salute: after a lengthy silent run!

bandit484
08-30-17, 06:49 PM
So which voice or voices in the game are your voice Neil? just curious.:k_confused:

iggypop37
02-11-18, 11:33 AM
just to say . downloaded this last night. what a find !! Red storm rising returns with bells on. i can see myself having some happy hours with this one.

Well done all !!

inetmktvn16
05-29-19, 11:33 PM
Check the review, control enhancements are in the works.

Aktungbby
05-30-19, 01:47 AM
inetmktvn16!:Kaleun_Salute:

Captain Wreckless
07-06-19, 07:06 AM
I downloaded this last week when it went on sale. Did all of the training missions. Still need a lot of work at it. Decided to do the mission where I hunt a November (i think). Anyway, I found him and fired 2 torps about 30 sec apart. Not knowing what I'm doing I went active on the 1st and watched it circle the sub a couple of times without hitting it. The second went active and homed in for a hit. Well wouldn't you know it, the 1st torpedo locked onto me and hit. I survived, the bad guy didn't.

:k_rofl:

VulcanRidr
07-28-19, 01:25 PM
Captain Wreckless,

If you want some play pointers, I highly recommend going to Captain Jive Turkey's youtube page (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bMgCQyFNaMPsK9GtzM5dQ). Jive was a sonarman/sonar supervisor on 688 boats for 20 year. He streams on twitch, youtube, and mixer, and has a very loyal following online and is entertaining.

I ended up buying the game a couple of months ago, after watching some of his past streams. (he has nearly 300).

--vr

itsjero
07-24-21, 07:40 AM
All anyone really needs to know about Cold Waters is this - if you love submarine games, get it.

Once you get it.. you can play it for a bit, but id also reccomend downloading and installing the epic mod to make it even better.

Also, you can edit a ton of stuff in the game by learning to edit the .txt files the game uses to set variables and such for each sub/ship and everything else from sonar, weapon damage, speed, depth, you name it. If its a variable the game uses, you can change it to what you want or like.

It is, currently imho, the best sub game out right now. I get that there are great sub games out, but almost EVERY SINGLE ONE is like ww2 uboat based and most people i know wernt even alive during ww2, and they want to use weapons/ships/subs that are from the 80s and beyond.

And cold waters does that. You wanna do ww2 boats? No prob. You wanna do a hunt for red october typhoon boat? No problem. You love the seawolf like i do and want to use that boat? No problem.

You want to use some of the newest or THE newest subs out with the newest weapons out? Yup.. has that too.

Its easy to play and pickup, and isnt SO simulated like some games can be where you need a 500 page manual and its like you almost need to be an ex pilot of an f-18 to play the f-18 simulator. Nope. It just has speed, depth, a sonar system you can figure out, easy to launch and use weapons from guided to unguided, and everything in between.

So, if you like sub games, youre gonna like this game. Its one of the very few games i play on my pc ( used to pc game a lot but most of my gaming is done on a 70 inch flatscreen from my couch using an xbox X or playstation. But theres a few games ill play on the PC, the main one is Cold Waters.

So theres my review. you like subs? you like new subs? Old subs? whatever.. its got it. And its easy to play, and can also be very challenging depending on the experience you want.

Its a no brainer for the price. I would have paid 2x as much.

dannavy85
11-17-21, 07:37 PM
Absolutely enjoying the hell out of this game!

R3dakted
10-05-22, 10:04 AM
I am liking it. But Ivan, when he is not being crazy, he is being a wimp.

Ivan either charges into certain torpedo death face first or turns tail and runs at the first hint of a transient. 🤔

Aktungbby
12-24-22, 02:53 PM
R3dakted!:Kaleun_Salute: after an 8-year 'silent run'!:up:

R3dakted
04-19-23, 10:02 PM
Thank you!! 😁😁😁