PDA

View Full Version : Ha Ha....Torpedoes are silly!

cj95
06-07-17, 02:17 AM
If I live to be 1000 I will never crown the submarine awesomeness I have achieved tonight!

Playing as USS NARWAL vs a Soviet VICTOR II.

We detected each other and launched at pretty much the same time.

He fired a spread of three torps at me, while I responded with a single back at him followed by a MOSS while I turned to evade.

A few minutes into the evasion I noted an aspect change on the VICTOR so I decided to fire a second mk 48 on a new bearing as my original wire had broken.

(pardon bad art....but I wasn't taking screenies at this point)

INITIAL EXCHANGE:

http://i.imgur.com/T8eDbDj.jpg

cj95
06-07-17, 02:21 AM
Now it turns out I didn't need the second MK48 because the first locked on and obediently blew the VICTOR out of the water.

The fun started however with what happened next.

First Soviet torpedoes #2 and #3 both got spoofed by the MOSS as they passed by and turned around to chase it....yay!

However remember my #2 torpedo? it just so happened to pass the MOSS going the same direction ad decided to join the fun by chasing it as well!

Yay??:hmmm:

http://i.imgur.com/IAezOD3.jpg

cj95
06-07-17, 02:24 AM
By this point I figured out what was happening and started taking screen shots.

My spunky little MOSS....fired off in a random direction by me was in effect leading two Soviet torpedoes and my own MK48 on a merry chase across the pond.

Although slow, the torpedoes couldn't manage to hit it and kept turning to reacquire over and over again leading to a spiraling crazy train of stupid torpedoes.

http://i.imgur.com/2iuxWr9.jpg

cj95
06-07-17, 02:25 AM
Well....I think you can see where this is heading.....

The MOSS had been fired in the general direction of the VICTOR.....and well...suddenly all three stupid torpedoes found something more fun to chase than the tiny MOSS

:o

http://i.imgur.com/h4Z9FMK.jpg

cj95
06-07-17, 02:29 AM
Poor VICTOR.....

In the end he got creamed by two of my torpedoes and one of his own.....drug there by my lowly decoy.

(the last Soviet Torpedo got smart at the last minute and pulled up.)

:har: I died laughing....wish I could say the tactic was planned, but it was too damn funny not to share.

THE END...

FINAL MOMENTS

http://i.imgur.com/Liy4Z2L.jpg

ikalugin
06-07-17, 05:47 AM
This kind of thing normally ends in killing me, because my mk48 turn and see my sub.

Hans Schultz
06-07-17, 08:04 AM
This kind of thing normally ends in killing me, because my mk48 turn and see my sub.

yup, i got sunk by my own mk48 last night.

daft
06-07-17, 08:31 AM
I have actually managed to avoid being sunk by my own torps. But I usually engage from a distance and make sure to fire on good solutions so once they go active, they either find the target or the wreckage.

Nippelspanner
06-07-17, 09:15 AM
Yeah I experience these kind of things as well, though I find it more annoying and difficult to believe, than fun.

Char
06-07-17, 10:36 AM
I've never had the problem myself. I see the MK. 48 a bit like an AIM-120 AMRAAM. With the wire being comparable to an aircraft's radar. once that thing's off it's leash, It's going to hit whatever makes a good target for it. AIM-120's launched off the rail without radar guidance are called Maddogs for a reason...

Thresher
06-07-17, 10:55 AM
Shame MOSS are not wire guided. Imagine the merry goose chase you could lead enemy (and sometimes your own lol!) torps on!

Great posts!

cj95
06-07-17, 10:40 PM
Yeah I experience these kind of things as well, though I find it more annoying and difficult to believe, than fun.

Well... to each their own sir....I found it amazingly fun and entertaining.:up:

daft
06-08-17, 12:36 AM
Ok, I take my previous post back. Last night I sunk myself. :D

ollie1983
06-29-17, 08:44 AM
I have not sunk myself yet, but I can see it happening.

I have seen Russians sink themselves mind, normally when they fire weapons and you are in close proximity to them.

I did a Konavalov the other day and drove straight at an incoming torpedo at high speed and passed before it activated and escaped that way by running deep.

The multiple aerial torpedo thing is annoying and they definitely have a tendency to hit just about anything.

Steiger
06-29-17, 10:02 AM
When you get really good at the game you can sink enemy sub fleets without firing a shot.

cookiemonste
06-29-17, 10:35 AM
Thank you for this thread. And you got realy lucky, I usually die when that happpens.

Jace11
06-29-17, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know why they don't detonate when in proximity to a decoy or moss? I notice this is very different to what happens n Dangerous Waters where they often explode when reaching decoys.

Don't they have more than just a contact fuse? Or is it perhaps BECAUSE they expect to encounter noisemakers and the like that they do not use a proximity fuse activated by the seeker (i.e. based on range)?

LightFeather
06-29-17, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know why they don't detonate when in proximity to a decoy or moss? I notice this is very different to what happens n Dangerous Waters where they often explode when reaching decoys.

Don't they have more than just a contact fuse? Or is it perhaps BECAUSE they expect to encounter noisemakers and the like that they do not use a proximity fuse activated by the seeker (i.e. based on range)?

I have no hands-on experience with USN weapons, but I believe most modern torpedoes have a magnetic as well as contact fuse, and the magnetic fuse is probably programmed to the expected magnetic intensity of a warship or submarine, and obviously a MOSS or decoy would have a much lesser magnetic signature than an actual ship

ikalugin
06-30-17, 01:57 AM
In theory it should be possible to generate the magnetic signature magnitude.

MBot
06-30-17, 03:26 AM
Also since some subs have titanium hulls, shouldn't magnetic fusing be merely an option rather than a requirement?

Ansgar Burkhard
06-30-17, 03:32 AM
Also since some subs have titanium hulls, shouldn't magnetic fusing be merely an option rather than a requirement?

A handful of subs have titanium hulls. Most have non magnetic steel hulls at least in part of their build. They are also degaussed regularly. But obviously 10k tons of steel (non magnetic or not) will always have a residual magnetic signature which can be quite large (even considering a 0.1% magnetization it is still a 10 ton magnet).

MBot
06-30-17, 03:49 AM
So would the titanium hull of an Alfa or Sierra be sufficient magnetic to trigger the fuse of a torpedo? Because if you hard-wire your torpedo to ignore acoustic proximity fusing unless there is also a magnetic signature (in order to ignore decoys), then every genuine target must have a magnetic signature.

ikalugin
06-30-17, 05:21 AM
So would the titanium hull of an Alfa or Sierra be sufficient magnetic to trigger the fuse of a torpedo? Because if you hard-wire your torpedo to ignore acoustic proximity fusing unless there is also a magnetic signature (in order to ignore decoys), then every genuine target must have a magnetic signature.
Most likely yes, because the sub still has measurable magnetic fields. The difference is that it does not need a de-magnetising system for it's pressure hull.

cj95
06-30-17, 09:52 AM
Well I tried to get too fancy the other night.

I tried to go all Tom Clancy and moved my La Class in behind a November nice and slow just to see how close I could get without being detected.

Finally decided to fire at about a mere 700 yards and amazingly my torpedo missed at first and attempted to circle around to reengage.

Problem was I was sitting like an idiot only 700 yards away so when it circled the first thing it spotted was me:o.

Oh crap! That's why we don't engage from that close!

LeopardDriver
06-30-17, 10:12 AM
Shame MOSS are not wire guided. Imagine the merry goose chase you could lead enemy (and sometimes your own lol!) torps on!

Great posts!

Pretty sure that can be changed within 15 seconds. ^^

:Kaleun_Wink:

max-peck
06-30-17, 01:35 PM
Well I tried to get too fancy the other night.

I tried to go all Tom Clancy and moved my La Class in behind a November nice and slow just to see how close I could get without being detected.

Finally decided to fire at about a mere 700 yards and amazingly my torpedo missed at first and attempted to circle around to reengage.

Problem was I was sitting like an idiot only 700 yards away so when it circled the first thing it spotted was me:o.

Oh crap! That's why we don't engage from that close!

Have done exactly the same thing myself :D