PDA

View Full Version : Introducing: Wolfpack

Onkel Neal
08-10-16, 06:56 AM
HMS Marulken is now: Wolfpack

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=1034&pictureid=9118

Subsim presents Wolfpack. Skvader Studios have upgraded the HMS Marulken project to a 4-player co-op U-boat simulation. Work is fast underway with a high-quality Type VII U-boat model, reconfigured helm station, and upgraded environment. Our team spent many hours examining the U-995 in Kiel, Germany last week and we plan to create a U-boat game that gives the four players procedural hands-on control of their stations. The teamwork and skill-based gameplay will set Wolfpack apart from all the sub games that have come before it. Sailor, get ready for a whole new way to subsim.

Wolfpack Launch Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a9dZjyL7Hw)

We have included a small VR proof of concept demo for the HTC Vive. It is available for download at our new webpage: wolfpackgame.com (http://www.wolfpackgame.com/)

VR Demo Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTw4gG5DGpU)

Don't forget to hit that Subscribe button! It is how you can show your support at this stage.

Good hunting!
Onkel Neal, Subsim
Stockholm, Sweden

Dowly
08-10-16, 07:09 AM
VR Demo Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTw4gG5DGpU)

Bernard would be proud of you, Einar. :rotfl2:

NeonSamurai
08-10-16, 07:27 AM
Glad to see the name change and inclusion of a U-Boot. I think the choice will give the game much greater appeal internationally. :yeah:

raymond6751
08-10-16, 08:10 AM
It is great to see the progress you guys have made on the new game concept.
Well done!:yeah:

Cybermat47
08-10-16, 08:28 AM
This will bring the community together even more :yeah:

Gerald
08-10-16, 08:46 AM
Beautifully,nicely done.:salute:

tedh1
08-10-16, 08:59 AM
Awesome!
Any news if there will come a new demo, or if HMS Marulken is the only way to be able to play this game before release?

Jimbuna
08-10-16, 09:14 AM
Looking great matey, looking great :sunny:

Aktungbby
08-10-16, 09:36 AM
tedh1!:Kaleun_Salute:

Char
08-10-16, 11:21 AM
I was about to Make a Sabaton reference, but Cybermat47's Signature did it for me! :rock:

Catfish
08-10-16, 11:29 AM
Looks very good, wave action, foam, the moving.. and really works with 3d gear?! :o

And the new name will sure attract more people :up:

HanSolo78
08-10-16, 03:49 PM
Looks awesome... I am excited to pursue the further development! :yeah:

Catfish
08-10-16, 04:12 PM
I have kept my mouth sealed on this, but now it is said, I constate: WOLFPACK(s) rule! [...]

:up:

B.t.w. what do you mean with "70" on this Enigma riddle, i'm stuck :timeout:

p4p3rm4t3
08-11-16, 08:10 AM
Congrats on the reveal! Looking good!

Rip
08-12-16, 01:06 AM
Awesome work.

Can't wait to see where you take this.

:subsim:

Leo_93
08-12-16, 12:50 PM
Congratulations Neal, Oscar and Einar. I can't wait to see what you can make of this wonderful concept. I will be buying this as soon as I see it on steam.

klingenj
08-13-16, 10:18 AM
Looks lovely!

You should update your new homepage and add a "updates" page where the visitor can check quickly for news regarding development. :up:

Keep it up, cant wait!

Onkel Neal
08-13-16, 01:34 PM
Looks lovely!

You should update your new homepage and add a "updates" page where the visitor can check quickly for news regarding development. :up:

Keep it up, cant wait!

Good point!

junkman
08-17-16, 08:44 AM
Thanks for this update. look forward to some interesting multiplayer interaction to come.

Bent Periscope
08-17-16, 02:56 PM
:arrgh!:Hi Neal.
When do you think we'll be able to test and/or play Wolfpack?

Coldshot
08-17-16, 06:13 PM
Me and my friends are looking forward to this simulator. Great work.

Soundman
08-17-16, 08:57 PM
Been absent (inactive) for a while now, but like what I'm seeing here, nice to see subsims are still alive and well!

Onkel Neal
08-18-16, 12:16 AM
:arrgh!:Hi Neal.
When do you think we'll be able to test and/or play Wolfpack?

If I said I would be guessing, and your guess is as good as mine. Still have a lot of work to do, with one programmer and one 3D modeler, and me getting in the way. :arrgh!:

nsomnia
08-20-16, 08:55 PM
If I said I would be guessing, and your guess is as good as mine. Still have a lot of work to do, with one programmer and one 3D modeler, and me getting in the way. :arrgh!:

Exactly.

We have 10 people with mixed skills working anywhere from 10 minutes a day to 10 hours a day with sub vets included (which can get in the way as you say, although the experiance and subject matter knowledge is in-valuable).

We expected to have a playable demo akin to marulken by now.

We dont (although we have something that exceeds our demo expectations, just not ready for release anywhere quite yet)

Indie video game development 101: Its ready when its ready and you cant set a timeline until its 90% ready. Even then its sketchy. Its like trying to say "ill make it from Houston to Kodiak in exactly 250 hrs, you don't know traffic, commercial coppers etc. and I'm sure Neal knows how that works ;)

Sophist
08-22-16, 09:21 AM
Looks amazing! Can't wait to see what it becomes.

Serious question though: Do you worry about real sea-sickness in players with VR gear? Interesting new level of immersion, this VR stuff.

klingenj
08-24-16, 01:15 PM
Went to check out my countrys only preserved WW2 U-boat today (german made). Kept thinking about you guys and the possibility to get to play a game with all these levers and turn-wheels.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/naybc.jpg

SO HYPED :rock:

Anarchy
08-28-16, 12:53 AM
I am confused, is this game going to be a regular PC game, or is it going to be vr. if it's going to be VR, then i guess it's time for me to save up some money

Onkel Neal
08-28-16, 02:35 AM
Looks amazing! Can't wait to see what it becomes.

Serious question though: Do you worry about real sea-sickness in players with VR gear? Interesting new level of immersion, this VR stuff.
They tell me that motion sickness is a concern with VR games where you "walk" or "run". The VR I have seen is structured so that you "teleport" from place to place in the game; you point a light beam at the spot in the game where you want to go and click the controller, and you are there. That avoids the motion in the game that induces motion sickness. They tell me.

In our demo, the sea state is pretty mild, but there are waves higher than head-level and the boat does rock some. I did not get seasick, but I was affected by the movement and could not stop myself from trying to sway and keep my balance, even though my actual feet were on a stable studio floor. It's a crazy thing, truly. Honestly, I really want to build a VR version where the U-boat is in a true storm....I think I would risk the sea sickness to try that. :yep:

I wonder if VR players will adapt to motion sickness the way real sailors learn to adapt to real sea sickness... wouldn't that be interesting?

Went to check out my countrys only preserved WW2 U-boat today (german made). Kept thinking about you guys and the possibility to get to play a game with all these levers and turn-wheels.

SO HYPED :rock:

Nice! Which sub is that? Vesikko?

I am confused, is this game going to be a regular PC game, or is it going to be vr. if it's going to be VR, then i guess it's time for me to save up some money

Wolfpack will be a regular PC game. If the support for the game is sufficient, the devs are very interested in developing a VR version of the game. Their proof of concept demonstrates the current game engine will work in VR; to make a VR version would require additional development to make the game work in a VR environment. TL: DR - regular game + VR if sales are good.

klingenj
08-28-16, 08:59 AM
Nice! Which sub is that? Vesikko?

It is indeed Vesikko. It was very nice, and I can not believe I havent gone before. Your game is having me discover new sides of me! :arrgh!:

Onkel Neal
08-29-16, 02:40 AM
Ha ha, that's what we do here at Subsim :sunny:

Feldpost
08-29-16, 12:41 PM
...I wonder if VR players will adapt to motion sickness the way real sailors learn to adapt to real sea sickness... wouldn't that be interesting?

Interessting point :D

Never played with VR yet (motion sickness) but got some experience in smaller boats (sea sickness)... i think both are similar since in both cases the problem is that the sense of balance doesn't match to the visuals you get...

On boats, as long you have moderate sea and 'static' visuals like the horizone there are no problems with sea sickness (so, if you get someone who becomes seasick on a sailboat in moderate sea-> let take him the rudder control on deck ASAP:03:)

If you go under deck to grab some food and lose that 'visual' fix points, (similar to read a book as car passenger, some people get sick fast).

There should be an option accessible like (one for 'outside' and another for inside sub)
* Slider: fix view to ship <=vs.=> fix view to horizone (this should be always accessible in a 'pause'-menu)

lol, that could also be used as a skill for a possible single-campaign mode: "seafarer-legs" :D - Getting seasick fast and hard to hit the controls in beginning :D

I like the idea with the teleport system using a light beam, a nice matching flashlamp (red under 'red-light :smug:' conditions) :up:

Catfish
08-30-16, 07:09 AM
[...] On boats, as long you have moderate sea and 'static' visuals like the horizone there are no problems with sea sickness (so, if you get someone who becomes seasick on a sailboat in moderate sea-> let take him the rudder control on deck ASAP:03:) [...]

Lol tell this to my wife. She was seasick below deck as she was on deck, and at the helm. But then i still wonder what she was doing aboard S175 back then :haha:

Aktungbby
08-30-16, 10:48 AM
^ Nice!
Not as Diesel-electric as in the US fleet subs, but the first time i read about this, and in detail!

Should post this in the Wolfpack forum, so they can build this sim right! :)
But maybe a bit too complicated to simulate all this :hmmm:

What should be simluated though is, while both Diesels running full ahead and both driving the generators (= both electric engines switched to generator/dynamo mode and coupled to the propshaft), the overall speed should change from say 18 knots to a bit less, but not decreasing the overall speed so much as it has been simulated in all those other sims!

Running full ahead while charging the batteries should still be good for some 15 knots!
:haha: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2430500#post2430500 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2430500#post2430500) DONE ! The 5% rudder screw-speed offset should be interesting. :shifty: :rock:

Eagle0110
09-07-16, 01:59 PM
Glad to see it's turning into a greater scope of game!

Ashikaga
09-07-16, 03:59 PM
Though it is a very interesting concept you really need to work on your graphics. If you can merge the quality of SH5 with this game it will be well worth playing.

Onkel Neal
09-08-16, 01:50 AM
The graphics are what they are. We are a small dev team, SH5 had 27+ people and millions of dollars to make their game.

We are focusing on gameplay first.

Aktungbby
09-08-16, 08:55 AM
Eagle0110!:Kaleun_Salute:

Rockin Robbins
09-13-16, 02:18 PM
The graphics are what they are. We are a small dev team, SH5 had 27+ people and millions of dollars to make their game.

We are focusing on gameplay first.
I absolutely agree. Eye candy will get someone to look at a game. Gameplay keeps them playing it. You sell additional copies when people who keep playing the game recommend it to others.

However when people attracted to the eye candy find bad gameplay they become recommenders of quite a different sort. That can kill a game dead.

Gameplay has to come first. You can make it look better later.

PL_Andrev
09-17-16, 02:12 PM
The graphics are what they are. We are a small dev team, SH5 had 27+ people and millions of dollars to make their game.I absolutely agree.
Absolutely disagree with you.

Games like DC, SH2-5 had much more than 27 people working at this games each with unlimited financial budget: they called fans and community worked for free to make these games better and better.

I think that Einar, Oscar and Neal should prepare basic gameplay only (HMS Marulken was already playable), create Steam's multiplayer cooperation and publish this game code excluded Steam's multiplayer engine.

In this solution Einar, Oscar and Neal will collect bucks with selling game by Steam (to play multiplayer on Steam) and modders will have full access to game code to eliminate bugs, make amazing mods, much more interesting that mods prepared for SH3-5 (like new ships, new submarines, new playable nations).

Gotmilk
09-19-16, 03:01 AM
You cannot mod Unity authored games by default. This is something developer has to actively support and its probably out of their development scope. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/making-a-moddable-game.312490/

kellpossible
09-20-16, 11:23 AM
I think the most important decision the team can make (aside from putting gameplay first which is great) would be to actively support the modding community and modders here with their product. Subsim wouldn't be here with without them. Take a big leaf out of kerbal space programs book, see how they do it (also a unity game by the way), by far the best mod support for a simulation style game that I've seen. No need to jump through all the hoops of hacking the executable, and fantastic interoperation between mods with minimal conflicts and the ability to change almost all functionality of the game. Any dummy can install mods in KSP just copy it into the mod folder :) I also get the feeling that a decision like this is best made early in the development process so as to incorporate it into the software design and reap the best results later on.

Graphics, screw it, if they support mods and the base gameplay is good, people will work for free and in a short time you'll get something like all the realism mods for KSP making it look flipping fantastic. If the people here can manage to mod Silent hunter to such a degree having to work around a huge amount of problems, I can't imagine what they could achieve with support from the developers.

There's only so much the developers can achieve with the time they have, compromises have to be made, but by supporting the modders, this game can continue to grow well after they sit back and relax.

Aktungbby
09-20-16, 11:47 AM
kellpossible!:Kaleun_Salute:

rainiere
09-21-16, 07:56 AM
Meanwhile, the HMS Marulken demo got a fun playthrough at frooglesim's YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RxL7AcKsCQ

CybrSlydr
10-15-16, 03:34 PM
Just got the e-mail about this - wow!!!

Good news is I start a new job on Monday, so I should be able to send you folks some money in a few weeks. :D

:Kaleun_Thumbs_Up:
Also - the water in that looks INCREDIBLE!!!

GSpector
10-15-16, 06:20 PM
The idea of a new sim sounds great.

What features will it have?

Will it offer single-player at all?

Will there be chances to earn Medals, Ribbons and/or Ranks?

Other than German, what other side will there be and will there be a chance to control the other side?

d@rk51d3
10-16-16, 12:51 AM
Donated.

Looking forward to this. :Kaleun_Salute:

U-22
10-16-16, 01:22 AM
Just saw the video. :o
Look like a cool game! :up:
Looking forward to playing it! :D
My donation has been sent in! :salute:

Seademon
10-18-16, 09:03 AM
lets hope it actually produces something interesting and some sort of simulation and not a phone app sub game that is boring to tears.

Aktungbby
10-18-16, 09:08 AM
U-22!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
10-18-16, 09:49 AM
Welcome to SubSim U-22 http://i.imgur.com/mUZi5AV.gif

doctrine
11-22-16, 10:48 AM
I've been away for a while, but seeing this game and progress is fantastic!

My idea was to install SH:V again when done with work (and all the work to install mods that comes with it), but I definitely will give this a try first! Looking forward to it.

:salute:

stormrider_sp
01-11-17, 08:26 AM
Man this sim looks amazing, but I really wished it was a modern sub sim, perhaps based on a SSK like a IKL 2009, or some cold SSN like a Sturgeon or a Thresher.

Psychophoria
01-17-17, 11:47 PM
Very glad I found this thread, and subsection of the forums.

Wolfpack is one of my favorite submarine simulators, no doubt about it.
Playing with others is an amazing experience. Communicating with the crew, developing strategy, etc. I find it to be very immersive in a way that other submarine simulators simply can't compare to.

Where is everyone donating to help support the developers?
I asked "Wolfpack Game" on Facebook, and they stated there is no way to donate at this time; They told me to purchase the Early Access build when it is released.
I would love to contribute to help support the development of this game.

Looking forward to future updates! :ping:

Aktungbby
01-18-17, 02:20 AM
Psychophoria!:Kaleun_Salute:

Filo$off
07-16-17, 03:46 PM
To play this game will be sure to use virtual reality glasses or will we be able to use mouse control? What will be the form of distribution of the game?

Usurpator
07-17-17, 03:26 PM
To play this game will be sure to use virtual reality glasses or will we be able to use mouse control? What will be the form of distribution of the game?

You will be able to play without any type of VR-equipment. The game will be available on Steam.

Filo$off
07-31-17, 03:49 PM
You will be able to play without any type of VR-equipment. The game will be available on Steam.

Thank you very much for the answer. I wish you successful development and the soonest release of the game!

Aktungbby
07-31-17, 06:13 PM
Filo$off! :Kaleun_Salute:

olddriedseaweed
09-04-17, 09:13 AM
Any updates or news related to this game?

Onkel Neal
09-04-17, 04:51 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2509883#post2509883