PDA

View Full Version : when should i edit a mod?

avers
08-29-14, 02:57 PM
hey guys, I want to make an edit to traveler's mod v2.6, but when should I edit it so my game doesn't get messed up? should I edit it before activating the mod? should I edit it after activating the mod launching the game and then deactivate the mod? or should I edit the mod while its activated?

Pisces
08-29-14, 03:41 PM
I suggest you use, and learn how to make mods work with JSGME. (very clearly explained in it's manual/documentation/readme) It makes modding alot easier. And less chance of messing up you game install. JSGME makes backups of the files it overwrites, and gives warning which files it overwrites that have already been changed by other mods. And when disabling the mods, it un-does them in the right order.

Basically, if you want to change a mod, you should clone the extracted modpack, and give the folder (inside MODS) a different name to show that it is your version of it. Then change the files in it's folder structure to your liking. Only when you think those are good, you enable it (instead of the parent mod) in JSGME and test if your changes work to your desire. You should never change the files in the game's folder structure after they have been enabled. That will mess up the game install, and disrupts JSGME backup scheme. If the files need further tweaking you disable your mod again, and tweak the files as needed. Then repeat the enabling process to test.

Do realise that enabling and disabling of mods should not be done while the patrol is still active. Replacing an image file is usually not a problem. But changing data that get's stored into the savegames can cause problems upon loading the game.

avers
08-29-14, 05:47 PM
hey, I followed your instructions, but when ever ships start to load the game crashes and traveler mod is the culprit. so what should I do to fix this?

mod list

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
traveller mod edited (I renamed traveler mod)

Pisces
08-29-14, 06:39 PM
I don't know what that mod does. And not even what you changed to it. So how can I come up with a solution?

Oh, darn! I left my magic orb in a different compartment, which is now flooded after a depth charge attack.