PDA

View Full Version : Any good mods

dantheman10001
08-15-14, 08:54 AM
I just got sh4 and are there any good mods out there and if there are, can u explain what they do

cdrsubron7
08-15-14, 11:52 AM
I just got sh4 and are there any good mods out there and if there are, can u explain what they do

Welcome to the Subsim Forums, dantheman10001. Happy to have you aboard. Check out this thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786). It will help explain the mods and what they do. Depending on which version of SH4 you have will make a difference on what mods you can use. The latest version is v1.5, but some people still use v1.4. One piece of advice, you might want to play the base game first if your new to the game, before you start delving to deeply into the mods. :D

THEBERBSTER
08-15-14, 11:53 AM
Hi dantheman

The first question is what version of the game do you have?

The second question to ask is at what level of ability do you want to play at.

You would not jump in the deep end if you could not swim.

Basically you would be looking at the following interfaces in this order with RFB and TMOwtw 2.50 on the same sort of difficulty level.

You also have the ability to change the difficulty when you start a career and then this can be tweaked again in ‘Game Play Options.’

Stock

GFO v1.1

RFB v2.0

TMOwtw 2.50

TMO v2.5

As a beginner do not waste your time with Stock as this is full of bugs and glitches.

Webster’s GFO is an excellent way to learn the Game.

His mod sorts out the bugs in the Stock version and adds a load of additional game play functions and additional mods in to GFO to raise it above the Stock level.

My Tutorial Post #107 offers a good starting point and can be used with or without Ship Centred Accuracy Fix (SCAF)

You can also add a mod called RSRDC which is a Campaign mod that works with interface mods and rewrites all the Stock Campaigns in to something more meanable.

Until we know what your capabilities are there is no point in explaining things that may not happen.

Link to my SH5 – SH4 posts:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

Also Included Are Some Useful Download Links

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Peter

Red Devil
08-17-14, 08:43 AM
there are dozens of quality mods. See downloads.

What I do want, very much, is a sound mod that stops that horribly stupid crashing noise when a dinghy is launched to land agents or troops. It really REALLY annoys me.

I have spent the afternoon adding mods directly to the folders manually, and love the FJB maps, and the sound of the IJN sonar trying to find me.

I have also input websters - small rain; waterline colours, eliminate plankton; reduced radio traffic, selected new sounds.

Also torpex torps.

With the new map mods etc I had to restart the career. the above are running fine with RSRDC and TMO 2.5

THEBERBSTER
08-17-14, 08:49 AM
Hi Red Devil

This is a really good sound mod worth considering

Pacific Sound Mod

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=199506 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=199506)

Peter

Red Devil
08-17-14, 09:52 AM
Cheers Berb; put it in manually, its easier, did a test patrol in Sealion out of Manila and it sounds good. Yet to try agent landing but it will arrive, one day. :yeah:

THEBERBSTER
08-17-14, 06:10 PM
Some good crew interaction, especially when surfacing.

Red Devil
08-18-14, 04:16 AM
I manually inserted the sound files (amongst others) into the folders and its like a new game. I first put in Pacific Sound Mod, which I had used before but long ago and forgot about, then topped that with Websters Selected Sound Mod, the result is quite brilliant, wish I had done it before.

Could not get FJB's maps in via JSGME, so did the same, manually. Lovely maps, a lot of work must have gone into this and I appreciate the designers efforts. :yeah:

Same goes for all the mods, think about those who did the work, superb job people. :yeah:

When I put the mods into SH4 on my laptop, last night, I thought I might have to start over, but one tested save did actually work, for 10 mins then crashed, so deleted all old saves and began anew.

Last night, running out of Manila in Pampano, knew where the japs would be so went north to the gulf and after sinking 5 troop ships and 2 Heavy crusiers, ran back to Mainla refit and ran back again, another fleet slightly north and got another shed load of ships!! Does the tonnage a bit favour.

Found a fleet later on heading for Java, and got 5 out of 6 carriers. 2 torps in each. I got between the two columns and wreaked havoc!!

merc4ulfate
08-18-14, 03:06 PM
SOOOOO ....

It's pretty easy to avoid the sound of the dingy hit the boat.

Do not let it hit the boat. Would you run over the dingy after you launched it?

You get into position then you slowly back away. You launch the boat and there is no collision sound. The collision sound is for a Battleship hitting you, a trawler hitting you or a dingy hitting you ... so simply do not hit it.

Red Devil
08-19-14, 07:26 AM
its not that easy. The dinghy hits the sub whilst sub is stationary because I can time it to be at a stop before I click launch boat. Anyway, its not sorted thanks to previous post. I also hit reverse right after launch, its no difference.

TorpX
08-19-14, 11:48 PM
I think the excessive collision sensitivity is due to the collision spheres being larger than the actual boat model. I've had a similar problem when bringing in my boat to dock. The crew panics, and say I'm taking damage when I have yet to touch the dock.

Red Devil
08-20-14, 05:18 AM
Every time I open the game "we're taking damage sir" :/\\!!

Lexandro
08-20-14, 06:16 AM
Ive had that myself a few times. Ive taken to only saving the game when at all stop and 0 knots speed. Seems to work so far but it is SH, you know it can wig out at any time for any reason.

As for the topic; I really like OM, last time I played it was back when it was still just ATO, and it was good then but its even better now. Atlantic, Arctic, Mediterranean, Caribbean and Indian Ocean campaigns all wrapped up in one mod for "Ze Germans". Good stuff.