PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO RUN SH4 ON WINDOWS 7 - IT IS SURPRISINGLY EASY!

marc780
08-10-14, 06:02 AM
I'd guess someone else has posted this tip but I still see other people asking this question on youtube etc. "Can I/How do I install SH4 to run on Windows 7?"

And if you've already tried the standard install then the game, indeed, might not work. And if you went to check the MS compatibility page or elsewhere might have told you "THIS GAME IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 7 PERIOD etc. etc." Well I am happy to tell you, that in most case (with most computers and vid cards) they're wrong. The game can be easily installed and played on Win 7 systems. And you don't have to download, edit or spend a dime doing it either.

There are exceptions, as always: If you have a laptop, or if you bought the Steam install or the Amazon download (unfortunately I don't think either are compatible with Win 7 and they tell you so on the product details page). I have bought other games from both of them, and noticed there usually is no option to change the default install location (which is what you have to do to make SH4 work).

So if this is an issue for you, what to do? Perhaps someone somewhere has come up with a work-around for the Steam/Amazon installs but I install from the DVD copy so I haven't looked into that. If you can't find a workaround, or there just isn't one, I'd get a used copy somewhere on the DVD (get the "GOLD" edition if for no other reason then it's already patched).

So here's what you are here for: Here's how to install Silent hunter 4 on Windows 7:

DURING THE INSTALL PROCESS - MANUALLY CHANGE THE DEFAULT INSTALL PATH to "C:\ "

When you get to the page where it tells you where it is going to copy the program, it will say c:\programfiles\x86\Silenthunterwolvesofthepacific". You DO NOT want to load the program there. So just click on the path and change it. Your INSTALL PATH SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS

C:\Silenthunterwolvesofthepacific

Now proceed with the rest of the install the game should now play.

And that is not all...this tip works also with several other older games that MS says DEFINITELY DO NOT work on Win 7. Here's a list of some of my favorite older games that I was able to make work on my Asustek Win 7 desktop using this very same trick:

The Sims 2
Microsoft combat flight simulator 1
MS CFS 2
MS CFS 3

If this tip works for you please leave a comment or better yet, further tips you know.

Webster
08-10-14, 10:08 AM
thanks for trying to help but sh4 works perfectly fine if you let windows 7 install it without any changes, just click install and let it do its thing.

the only time you have "issues" is if you start redirecting where to install the game

BigWalleye
08-10-14, 11:52 AM
thanks for trying to help but sh4 works perfectly fine if you let windows 7 install it without any changes, just click install and let it do its thing.

the only time you have "issues" is if you start redirecting where to install the game

Webster, as an old computer guy, I hardly ever accept the default install location. Cetainly not for any of the Silent Hunter series. And I have nevee experienced any trouble caused by not accepting the default install location. I have seen quite a few threads where people have had problems directly caused by installing to the default location (Program Files or Program Files x86 folder) and then running afoul of the access control system. This can be problematical if a user is not running as administrator and does not know how to change permissions.

The easiest way I know to avoid issues with the Win7 ACS is to set yourself up with an administrator account. The second easiest is to not install games you plan to mod into the Program Files folder. Both together are a belt and suspenders.

THEBERBSTER
08-10-14, 06:17 PM
The problem if there is one is that the default installation wants to put the game in the X86 program folder.

The installation instructions advises not to install in the root folder.

I have never had a problem to date with this installation C:\SH4

I just wonder if Ubisoft are just trying to cover themselves?

fitzcarraldo
08-10-14, 07:37 PM
I have installed SH4 15 in W7 64bits Home Premium without problems in a dedicated folder: F:\SH4. No problems instaliing it and no compatibility selected (it runs in W7). I use 4 Gb patch.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

merc4ulfate
08-10-14, 07:40 PM
It has always worked on 7 unless someone has an odd configuration

Pisces
08-11-14, 11:59 AM
Playing the game is usually not the problem. Modding it is usually frowned upon by Vista, 7 and 8 if it is installed into the default path, AND you are not of the administrator user-type. As Steam versions are usually hidden in there, they also seem to need some special steps to work around access rights.

Also making screenshots in the game that get stored in the Program Files (something) path could throw a curveball, as User Account Control can protest when this happens. Other than that, playing should work out of the box.

Choosing a different install path that is not in the Program Files (or god have mercy on those who considered c:\Windows) avoids all that.

For installing and patching you always need administrator rights. No way around that, but is done only a few times. Since one of the latest JSGME versions you sadly also need to run as an administrator. A different install path doesn't change anything in that.

Webster
08-11-14, 10:21 PM
Webster, as an old computer guy, I hardly ever accept the default install location. Cetainly not for any of the Silent Hunter series. And I have nevee experienced any trouble caused by not accepting the default install location. I have seen quite a few threads where people have had problems directly caused by installing to the default location (Program Files or Program Files x86 folder) and then running afoul of the access control system. This can be problematical if a user is not running as administrator and does not know how to change permissions.

The easiest way I know to avoid issues with the Win7 ACS is to set yourself up with an administrator account. The second easiest is to not install games you plan to mod into the Program Files folder. Both together are a belt and suspenders.

ok so I guess you only have issues if you have multiple accounts using the same computer so you don't have administrator access.

its just me using my computer so I never have any issues installing, uninstalling, modding, unmodding, or making any changes because im the only user and by default, im always the administrator.

BigWalleye
08-12-14, 09:30 AM
ok so I guess you only have issues if you have multiple accounts using the same computer so you don't have administrator access.

its just me using my computer so I never have any issues installing, uninstalling, modding, unmodding, or making any changes because im the only user and by default, im always the administrator.

Win7 Access Control System does not allow you to alter the contents of any file in Program Files or Program Files (x86) unless you have administrator privileges. That limitation applies to any program you try to run as well. If you are running as an ordinary user (non-administrator), you can create a folder on the root and modify contents with no interference from ACS. But only you , and admins, can do this. Other ordinary users can't.

Once it is installed, SH3 does not modify any files in the game folder, wherever it is installed. But JSGME does, every time you change your active mods. And SH3Cmdr changes files in its folder every time you use it, AND it changes files in the SH3 game folder every time you use SH3Cmdr to launch SH3.

As you say, if you are the only account on a machine, then you have admin privileges. You would have to use an admin account to set up a user account for yourself that didn't have admin privileges. That's like hiding your own car keys.:)