PDA

View Full Version : New Player Looking For help

Bobmunky
06-25-14, 03:31 AM
Hi all, I've had this game for about 48 hours now & I'm loving the challenge of it.
I'm a dedicated IL2 1946 player, & one of the regulars over at Mission4Today.com put up some posts about one of his patrols on Silent Hunter 3 & got me hooked, I was just wondering if any of you can recommend any mods that will work for v1.4

Fish40
06-25-14, 04:03 AM
Welcome aboard! The first piece of advice I could give you as a new member is, if it's within your means, purchase the SH4 Gold edition DVD. This edition of the game is the 1.5 patched version (U Boat Missions Expansion Pack) straight out of the box. This is the latest version of the game, with many of the "kinks" of 1.4 worked out. Most of the major mods are based on this version of the game. If you can't purchase the DVD, try for the 1.5 download alone. Either way, I urge you to upgrade ASAP to 1.5. You won't be disappointed. Once again, Welcome to Subsim!

THEBERBSTER
06-25-14, 04:53 AM
A warm welcome ‘Bobmonkey ’ to the Subsim family.:subsim:

You will always find someone here to help you.:)

Link to my SH5 – SH4 posts::salute:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Sailor Steve
06-25-14, 09:44 AM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

I think Fish40 gave you the best starting advice possible. Even if you never play the German side the 1.5 upgrade is valuable, even vital, for the things it fixes and for the mods availability.

Aktungbby
06-25-14, 10:48 AM
BOBMUNKY!:Kaleun_Salute:

fireftr18
06-25-14, 11:53 AM
Welcome aboard, Bobmunky! :salute:
I fully agree with what Fish40 and Sailor Steve wrote. You can still find mods for version 1.4, but all the latest mods are written for 1.5, including Operation Monsoon, German side Atlantic campaign.
I suggest using the tutorial missions generously. You can use them over and over, experiment, use all the controls, etc.
You'll have a lot of questions, we're all glad to help and offer advice. Some of it might even be right.
Now as the self appointed assigner of jobs on Subsim, you need to stand on the bow and hold a light so we can see where we're going at night.

Jimbuna
06-26-14, 07:14 AM
Welcome :sunny:

OldWulf85
06-26-14, 08:19 AM
Welcome ! :salute:

Bobmunky
06-27-14, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome, so I tried to get the gold edition but it's unavailable in New Zealand so I might try downloading the uboat missions from the ubisoft website.
Just a quick question, I was chasing down some merchant ships last night & when I was using the deck gun (USS Tarpon, deck gun moved to the front) zoomed out the the gun was shooting straight but zoomed in it was pulling hard to the right, has anyone else had this happen?

TorpX
06-28-14, 12:19 AM
I've never noticed that, but I know it behaves differently as to the elevation. Looking through the optical sight limits the angle of depression you can use.

Armistead
06-28-14, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome, so I tried to get the gold edition but it's unavailable in New Zealand so I might try downloading the uboat missions from the ubisoft website.
Just a quick question, I was chasing down some merchant ships last night & when I was using the deck gun (USS Tarpon, deck gun moved to the front) zoomed out the the gun was shooting straight but zoomed in it was pulling hard to the right, has anyone else had this happen?

I think that's more a stock issue or bug.

Bobmunky
06-28-14, 04:10 PM
yea it might be, I went to the uplay website last night to buy the uboat missions
but I entered my credit card details in wrong, TWICE :/\\!! & now I've got to contact customer support to sort it out