PDA

View Full Version : SH4 First playing

ABBAFAN
06-19-14, 10:42 AM
Hmm, I've played this game at long last and found a few odd features which I'm sure are merely stock issues.

Radar contacts on vessels with no radar is a bit surprising.

A Japanese bailed out pilot in the water was wearing German uniform.

Sometimes when locking on a target the periscope would swing around and look somewhere else, although the torpedo lock was still satisfactory.

There is always a discrepancy between ordered depths and speed by knots requests in the dialogue box and the voice responses.

The zoom on both periscopes seems to be the same which begs the question why have both other than having a handy spare.

Sailor Steve
06-19-14, 10:53 AM
I can't comment on the game questions, but in real life the periscope zooms were identical. The difference is that the observation scope had a larger head to allow in more light for night use, while the attack scope had a smaller head to make it harder to spot. This was also true of the Germans.

TorpX
06-19-14, 08:48 PM
SH4, like any Ubisoft product will never be perfect, but if you have v1.5 of the game, you can install a good selection of mods, and greatly enhance your play.

merc4ulfate
06-21-14, 10:17 AM
Real men do not play stock games LOL

ABBAFAN
06-22-14, 06:56 AM
Point taken. And the most recommended all inclusive up to date mod would be?

Real men listen to ABBA.

HertogJan
06-22-14, 08:13 AM
If you want to stick to stock, I'd recomend "Game Fixes Only" or GFO Mod by Webster.

He also got some other good mods you can add to it. All of which can be found here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=139472

PS_ Don't forget to read the README's for additional info on the Mods

GL

ABBAFAN
06-22-14, 10:20 AM
Thanks.

TorpX
06-23-14, 02:12 AM
Point taken. And the most recommended all inclusive up to date mod would be?

I would recommend these:

RFB_2.0 ..................................(Real Fleet Boat)
RFB_2.0_Patch_23April2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575 .................. (Run Silent Run Deep Campaign)
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 1.1

RFB is an older mod than TMO, but is still good, imo. People who want a harder game with cranked up DD's often prefer TMO, though.

The last one, ISP will give you the best, most up to date sub physics. (I'm still working on the surface ship side of things.)

Of course, what the 'best' mods are, is always going to be a very subjective matter. I can't really comment on the others.