PDA

View Full Version : Brand new SH4 user, completely lost!!

sbrenn01
05-27-14, 10:24 AM
Hi,
I downloaded SH4 from Amazon, paid my fee. I have the game, and I figured that "sub school" was a tutorial, or a wlak-through. Sadly, I am in the control room with no idea of where I am or what I'm doing. I could go into a long explanation of how lost I am; looked through the periscope into darkness, took 30 minutes to figure out how to locate/read incoming radio traffic.
The bottom line: Isn't there a user's guide PDF file, or some type of manual, explaining the game itself? Obviously this is a complex game, many screen. Of course I looked around, located a 'crew' page, engine order telegraph etc. Tried to plot a course, unable to erase accidental plot, couldn't zoom in/out.
The ubisoft website is no help. :/\\!!

SOS!! :haha:

sbrenn01
05-27-14, 10:33 AM
Found the manual! It was under program files (x86)\ubisoft\silent hunter wolves of the pacific\support

Yay!!! :yeah:

Sailor Steve
05-27-14, 02:14 PM
Good news! :sunny:

World_Devastator
05-27-14, 02:24 PM
Good news! :sunny:

+1 :up:

Pisces
05-27-14, 03:02 PM
Weren't there also some videos in the folder structure somewhere? Or was that only on the DVD.

THEBERBSTER
05-27-14, 07:11 PM
A warm welcome “sbrenn01“ to the Subsim family.:subsim:

You will always find someone here to help you.:up:

Link to my SH5 post:

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804)

Mike Abberton
05-27-14, 07:44 PM
sbrenn01,

Glad you could make it over here!

This is the perfect place to ask questions and get some guidance. Check out some of the sticky topics at the top of the forum list for some general "How To's," including some good video tutorials.

One other place to get a feel for the game is some of the "Let's Play" videos on YouTube.

Mike

fireftr18
05-27-14, 08:27 PM
Welcome aboard sbrenn01! :salute: Always glad to have another aboard.
Glad you found the manual. It's a great game, especially when you start getting into the mods. A little advice. You found the manual and I assume you're reading through it. The first tutorial, to me, is the most useful. Use it over and over again to learn the controls, how to maneuver the boat, etc. The others are great for learning the individual aspect. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Like us, you'll have a lot and we are all happy to help. Meanwhile, read up on the mods and which ones you might want to try. When you're ready, we can help with those also. :know:

Now get in the galley and start peeling potatoes.

razark
05-27-14, 11:39 PM
Welcome aboard.

Skip the manual. Ask questions here. The only use I ever found for the manual was to prop up an uneven table. The only other advice I can give you is to start trying mods and see what you like best. The stock game is somewhat lacking, and the only use I see for it is to show you how bad we had it before the modders got to work. (I remember the days when "A" (hold depth command) would crash the game, because no one ever thought to test the US subs with feet instead of meters.)

Link to my SH5 post
:06:

THEBERBSTER
05-28-14, 05:15 AM
This is a good set of mods to ease you into SH4 when starting out.

I recommend Ship Centered Accuracy Fix with Max optics

Link below.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126016 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126016)

This is extremely accurate when using the ‘Stadimeter.

Each target has a ‘Hotspot’ in the ‘Recognition Manual’

Check out the ‘Readme’ that comes with the mod.

My mod list

Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1

New Orders Bar Menu

Webster's No Crew Fatigue

Webster's Improved US Torpedo v2

Magnified Hud Dials for v1.5_Large

Bigger Better Protractors

Extra Allied naval bases for Stock SH4 + UBM v3.0

Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix

3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)

SCAF for SH 1.5

MaxOptics3 for SCAF 1.5