View Full Version : My engine issue had me do a rethink on mods

jokker
05-16-14, 09:26 PM
Does this make sense moving forward.

Also why are some greyed out??

bob

magic452
05-17-14, 12:33 AM
The grayed out mods have had some parts overwritten by a later mod.
If you uninstall mods they must be uninstalled in the reverse order they were put in.

Magic

merc4ulfate
05-17-14, 01:11 PM
Your mod order could use some adjusting. Unless specifically written in stone or some other hard material I feel one should never have anything between TMO, RSRD, and Traveller mods.

TMO 2.5
RSRD
RSRD v5 patch
Traveller Mod v2.6 TMO
Unless they are specifically made to be in other positions then I would run them this way. Also there is no 100% guarantee that your mod order will work seeing as there is no testing for every mod order used by every single player.
If you have issues ... remove them one by one untill the issue goes away and you have found your trouble.
Flipping two mods can give you a totally different experieince and code troubles.

It is one great experiment and if you find certain mods ALWAYS cause the same issue for you then please let us know ... some of us enjoy banging our heads on the wall trying to figure these issues out others prefer bottoming the boat until we run out of oxygen.

jokker
05-17-14, 02:37 PM
I was trying to load them by class

ie all TMO, all rsrdc, alltraveler in order

I'll try your way. I played for an hour or so without problem, but I'm not sure all stuck. I only say that because the traveler opening screen did not load.

I'll reorder and report any issues.

bob

fireftr18
05-17-14, 07:02 PM
You also need to have TMO small patch. It corrects the Tambor bug in TMO 2.5. You must be early in a career if you didn't get that.

jokker
05-17-14, 07:27 PM
I reordered them the way you suggested. I'm noticing no difference. Both seem to work fine as far as stability goes..

I'm not sure if all the features are coming through.

I can't seem to operate the sonar manually, and the mouse is very sluggish, both in motion and in mouse clicks.

Maybe some one could suggest just what I really need.. I may be trying to do too much??

I do like the eye candy. The game is really beautiful with the mods in place.

Bob

Sinkmore
05-17-14, 08:23 PM
Again, I'm using just about the same mods.

I assume you read the Traveller's install info, and got ISE and Traveller, and the Traveller ISE fix, in the right order(?). My dubious recollection is that Traveller's comes first, then ISE, THEN the Traveller ISE fix, but I could easily be mistaken.

I also had a problem where I couldn't mouse the sonar - it was caused by using Webster's Close-up Sonar View (something like that?) on top of the other mods. I removed it and the problem went away.

{edit} I also (still) have a sluggish mouse problem. If you find the cause, please post! My uninformed suspicion is that it's due to a large number of units deployed on the map, maybe Traveller's land-based observers? Pure guess, fwiw.

Sinkmore
05-17-14, 08:32 PM
Oh. I think you may be using the wrong OTC mods. There's an OTC version for TMO, and a version for RSRDC, but not one for TMO+RSRDC; I -think- you should be using the RSRDC one. That's what I'm using. I don't think it's made clear in the docs.

jokker
05-17-14, 08:49 PM
Thank you very much. I'll give it a try when I get home later tonight.

Bob

fireftr18
05-17-14, 09:42 PM
We forgot to mention. When you install these mega-mods, you have to be in port for them to take effect. Sometimes (I have this issue) you have to start a new career for the mod to take effect.

jokker
05-17-14, 11:01 PM
Is it a mistake to test these mods on a pre-defined mission?

Do they only install onto a career?

B

Sinkmore
05-18-14, 12:00 AM
They'll (pretty much) work for single missions.

jokker
05-18-14, 02:04 PM
I spent time this morning running different configurations on the mod list. i have not run every conceivable combination obviously. I have not explored in depth any portions of the game that were broken while the game overall ran stably. I found only one failed feature specifically sonar ,but as yet I do not understand the sequence that caused it

But some initial observations.

The sluggish mouse is related to graphics and frame rate. Solved by reducing window size or to reduce settings in graphics (under options). Any mods that add high resolution features will add to the problem. With a game that was developed so long ago, there may be some limit as to how much a latest-greatest video card can help. Even the basic game can be impacted here. Most non visual mods do not seriously impact frame rate.

The game is amazingly resilient when it comes to stability. No crashes so far. Order of mods is more likely going to impact specific features.

I don't have the time to test them all, the only one I found so far is the ability to manually work the sonar station, thought game still operates it just fine.

This really is a gem of a game.

Be great if they could do an up to date port for the iPad.

Bob

merc4ulfate
05-18-14, 10:14 PM
You do not need the small patch if your running RSRD. RSRD add that already.